Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM
WAHM Addict

From my understanding, and I'm not 100 percent sure how this works because I only see the writer's side of fees, but there is a fee charged by TB that is added to my DO rate. The rate increase will affect what TB adds to my DO rate according to what the client understands.

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think clients are confused about the rate increases and that is affecting the number of orders.

Also, if clients are having as many glitches with the interface as I am - they probably are goiing some where else to place orders. There is something very wrong with the site ever since that HTML fiasco a few weeks ago.

The issue is not resolved by cache clearing and switching browsers either.

They need to communicate the rate increase carefully to clients. They need to have computer techs look at their interface system.

I like TB but instead of making video tutorials or locking forum threads, get on the issues that are making it difficult to select and submit orders.

I realize not everyone is having problems, but each writer logs on a different page to submit and see orders.

The same thing is probably true of clients when they log in.

I could write a lot more there if the problems were resolved.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

I wanted to add that I do like teams. However, I spent a lot of time applying to ones that are on topics that I have a college degree in and extensive experience. However, the clients turned me down for those. Ironically, I was accepted to teams that I am not an expert in with a degree or work experience. I love research so I will still write on those topics. I am not sure what clients are thinking (same client many teams in some cases) but that is the way it works. If clients really want an expert, then selecting writers with a degree and work experience in that area seems more important. Of course, I have no way of knowing if a bunch of level 5s applied.

Also on the forums writers are reporting a change in article pricing on teams. Another writer is reporting that a client changed the entire topic on a article after it was accepted.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 AM
WAHM Regular

I was not aware of the increase with the existing clients. I do appreciate the clarification, though. It seems odd that they are also charging them the extra when they were there all along. What else can they do to scare people away?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 AM
WAHM Addict

When you set your direct order rate, there's always a note about how the client will see X amount instead because of Textbroker's fee. I went and looked it up and TB's fee was 30%. So my rate with one pickier client who asks for image links, etc. is at 5 cents, so the rate my client pays is 6.5 cents per word.

I went in and did some research and their new fee for direct orders is 35%, so clients are paying more. Those who already had accounts have the rate increased grandfathered until December, not sure if that is end or beginning of the month, but at that point, every existing client will be paying more.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Awesome WAHM

When you are looking at team order the per word rate is next to the order. However, when you select an order the per word rate is not on the order. What I usually do with orders is copy and paste the instructions into a word document to keep track of keywords and instructions. I picked up two articles in the last couple of weeks where the rate has changed from what it says on the TB page to what I get when paid. There is no way to prove the rate since it isn't on my word document.

Also I picked up an article in the oo pool that was in the level 4 queue. I wrote and submitted the article. What I did was not carefully read the top part of the instructions where it had the level because I scrolled up and just started writing. Apparently, it was in the wrong queue and I just didn't notice it.

Once the article was accepted I realized the pay was low, so went back to look at the document and it had a different level than the queue.

Carefully start reading the top part of the article where the classification is located.

Also TB needs to start putting the per word rate on the TO article documents so that the rate cannot be changed.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Registered WAHM

I'm a 4 over there and seems like when I glance in there it's pretty dead

Last edited by Billie3edick; 08-14-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
When you set your direct order rate, there's always a note about how the client will see X amount instead because of Textbroker's fee. I went and looked it up and TB's fee was 30%. So my rate with one pickier client who asks for image links, etc. is at 5 cents, so the rate my client pays is 6.5 cents per word.

I went in and did some research and their new fee for direct orders is 35%, so clients are paying more. Those who already had accounts have the rate increased grandfathered until December, not sure if that is end or beginning of the month, but at that point, every existing client will be paying more.
OK, that makes sense. I hope that your DO client decides to stick around; even with the price increase, they're getting a fairly good deal.

I'm not sure what's going on. I've been invited to several new teams lately that pay really well (over twice the L5 OO rate for some), so there are clients out there who are willing to spend money.

TB stated months ago that they were going to be changing their focus, and maybe this is part of that. It seems that managed teams are becoming increasingly popular there, so it's possible that they are guiding clients toward that particular service. I think they may be going after higher end clients and don't have the time or manpower to invest in recruiting clients for the OO pool.

The managed teams are sometimes....well, they aren't all worth it. I'm on one team where the pay is pretty close to 5 cpw, but the articles have been sitting there all day. It seems the client made some revision requests that didn't go over well with writers.

Last edited by Miss Aurora; 08-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Aurora View Post
The managed teams are sometimes....well, they aren't all worth it. I'm on one team where the pay is pretty close to 5 cpw, but the articles have been sitting there all day. It seems the client made some revision requests that didn't go over well with writers.
I'm on one that pays 3 cpw and stopped doing the work. There is a flaw that needs to be fixed with team orders, IMO.

When I'm starting with a new team, I always do three assignments and then wait to make sure what I submit is what they want. The instructions said to use 3rd person, follow the tone and formatting of a link they provided, and to use this one site for research. I got the three approved and positive feedback was given. So I was comfortable with really diving in at that point.

I submitted around a dozen one day and every single one was sent back for revision. I was stunned because the revision requests were for things not listed in the instructions. When I emailed the TB editor, she said that once an order is posted, there is no way to go in and edit/update instructions until that order is completed and the next order is posted. The client had a new list of demands and that any article that didn't meet the new demands had to be sent back for revision with notes. The new changes were things like 2nd person, do not follow the formatting in the sample link, and follow this other link instead.

That means completely rewriting every one, and I didn't have time for that much work. An edit here or there, fine, but rewriting each one was absurd. I won't work for that client again, and I don't care how much they pay. I have a feeling that's the type of situation you're seeing with the 5cpw team.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I'm on one that pays 3 cpw and stopped doing the work. There is a flaw that needs to be fixed with team orders, IMO.

When I'm starting with a new team, I always do three assignments and then wait to make sure what I submit is what they want. The instructions said to use 3rd person, follow the tone and formatting of a link they provided, and to use this one site for research. I got the three approved and positive feedback was given. So I was comfortable with really diving in at that point.

I submitted around a dozen one day and every single one was sent back for revision. I was stunned because the revision requests were for things not listed in the instructions. When I emailed the TB editor, she said that once an order is posted, there is no way to go in and edit/update instructions until that order is completed and the next order is posted. The client had a new list of demands and that any article that didn't meet the new demands had to be sent back for revision with notes. The new changes were things like 2nd person, do not follow the formatting in the sample link, and follow this other link instead.

That means completely rewriting every one, and I didn't have time for that much work. An edit here or there, fine, but rewriting each one was absurd. I won't work for that client again, and I don't care how much they pay. I have a feeling that's the type of situation you're seeing with the 5cpw team.
That's so frustrating. I'm not thrilled about the push for managed teams to be honest. I feel like doing work for managed clients is an open-ended deal. You don't know if you are going to get a revision, and you don't know when you are going to get paid. Waiting for normal articles to get accepted is frustrating enough.

I've only applied to one managed team so far, and the application's been sitting there for I think a month..maybe more now.

This ad will disappear if you login