Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Anyone heard of IB Publishing?

I found them on CL and wanted to see if they were legit:

www.ibpublishing.com
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 PM
WAHM Regular

I have heard of that company before. I think I applied to their site a while back ago (had to have been last year) -- and I don't think they ever followed up with me after I sent in the information. Looking at their website, I'm still kind of curious. I hope someone here has worked with them because I would love to know what kind of experiences they've had working for that company. It seems promising.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 AM
WAHM Addict

It's just Internet Brands revamped. I wrote for them for over a year and they were decent, but then new ownership came in and things took a major turn for the worse. Whether or not things improved, I don't know.

Pay when I was there was $10 for I think it was 300 to 400 words in the pet section. No set quota per week and editing was a joy. Then work dried up completely. We were told the last editor overloaded IB with articles, and the new editor needed a couple months to play catch up. Three months went by and nothing. I finally heard from the new editor four months later and he said there was a huge new project, and he wanted me on that team. It was the perfect writing job for me writing dog breed descriptions of 700 words for $25ish a piece. I was excited to get started. Three days later, he emailed again saying the new management had nixed it, and all writers would hear from them when there was work. Six months after that, I got an email that due to my inactivity, they were deleting my account.

I'm going to try again and see what response I get. What's weird is that when I went to open an account, it told me I'm already a writer for them, so I guess I'll change my password and see what happens.

Last edited by anng; 09-20-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Super WAHM

I wrote for them in the past as well, and I interviewed with them for a telecommuting writing gig this year. I had to have phone interviews with three people, complete some samples and then they wanted to complete a background check on me (criminal and credit). I felt that was an invasion of privacy. Some comments that one of interviewers made rubbed me the wrong way, too.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:59 AM
WAHM Addict

Apparently, they save your email, so if you've worked for them in the past and they deactivated you for inactivity, you can't go in and apply for this new work.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancewriter View Post
I wrote for them in the past as well, and I interviewed with them for a telecommuting writing gig this year. I had to have phone interviews with three people, complete some samples and then they wanted to complete a background check on me (criminal and credit). I felt that was an invasion of privacy. Some comments that one of interviewers made rubbed me the wrong way, too.

Good heavens! You have to wonder about the corporate culture (maybe paranoid?!). If they're asking you to write 500 words on dogs or on any subject, why on earth would your credit history be relevant. For that matter, your criminal history.

I know it's getting to be more and more common, simply because people have the ability to do it with internet, etc. It makes no sense when you look at it in terms of the actual job involved. It really is an invasion of privacy.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Super WAHM

Hi Mary,

That's exactly what I thought. I was annoyed that they gave me the paperwork to give them permission to do this after I had all of those interviews. I have had background checks before when I was working with children, and that's understandable. I shouldn't need a background check to write short articles online.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketing Maven View Post
Good heavens! You have to wonder about the corporate culture (maybe paranoid?!).
There was a big story on that when a local police department here refused to hire anyone who would not hand over their Facebook login information, including password. Credit checks they claim are important because deadbeats are always those with low credit scores. That one's always irked me, but a lot of companies now base your credibility on whether or not you take on too much debt or haven't paid your bills.

I did like working for IB when I was with them. I learned a lot about pets through those articles and all the time I spent researching the topics in Merck's Veterinary Medical Manual, but once the new owners came in, it just seemed to me that the organization went out the window.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Looks interesting, but I'm hesitant to write a specialized sample when I have many published pieces that are completely on topic, and when their application does not say how much the gig pays.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
WAHM Regular

I agree that the whole credit checking thing has gotten out of hand. Especially with online writing jobs, how is someone's credit report relevant? I imagine there are a lot of other people who have resorted to online freelance work for some of the reasons I have, such as living in an area that literally has almost no jobs (and unable to move), or being laid off and unable to find other work. It is a shame if some people are now going to be denied these types of jobs over credit problems. My credit has been horrible, excellent and everything in between in the last several years and I've always been a reliable employee no matter what my rating.

This ad will disappear if you login