Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 AM
WAHM Addict

Default Heads up for Writers Domain

In case people didn't get the email, starting Saturday, WD is changing their rules for accepted articles, including you now have to cite resources you used to come up with "facts". You have to be knowledgeable about the topics you select, you can't use the same personal account or facts for more than one article, nothing in your article can be vague/fluff, and 600 word articles cannot have any personal stories anymore. And if your article is rated a two or lower, you automatically have to go in and rewrite it.

Given that there's no talk about additional pay for the extra work/research, I can see this becoming an issue with most writers trying to earn a livable wage for the $3 per article/$100 cap before payment they pay for the shorter articles.

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bree Normandin Send a message via Skype™ to Bree Normandin

Textbroker, Writer's Domain, Media Piston...No one can make a living wage through any of these sites.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

It was only a matter of time before they had to change the model. The keywords they release are the same month after month, and it has been that way the entire year. Is it any wonder they are beginning to see duplications? After all, there are only so many ways to spin those keywords into something that is halfway coherent.

Just one more reason to diversify and not rely too heavily on any one client.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree Normandin View Post
Textbroker, Writer's Domain, Media Piston...No one can make a living wage through any of these sites.
I could when WD first started. Topics were basic, and turning out 10, 200-word snippets every hour ($30) on things like "plus-size swimwear," "beach apparel," "Mediterranean foods," and "Greek cuisine" were a piece of cake. I can't even imagine how you'd cite resources for something as basic as "plus-sized swimwear" now.

I also make great money doing direct orders at TB. So it's out there, but I'd never stick to just the mills. I use them as filler when I hit a slower spot with my private clients.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgywriter View Post
It was only a matter of time before they had to change the model. The keywords they release are the same month after month, and it has been that way the entire year. Is it any wonder they are beginning to see duplications? After all, there are only so many ways to spin those keywords into something that is halfway coherent.

Just one more reason to diversify and not rely too heavily on any one client.
Agreed. I was a bit put-off at first, but now I understand that they're just trying to avoid super low-quality fluff. The citing doesn't seem to be required, and from the example, you can cite Wikipedia, Amazon, etc.

I'm sure that writers were never supposed to use the same anecdote for more than one article, because that is plagiarising oneself. I don't do much work for WD, but it's not hard to come up with factual 200-word pieces in 15 minutes or so.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1976 View Post
Agreed. I was a bit put-off at first, but now I understand that they're just trying to avoid super low-quality fluff. The citing doesn't seem to be required, and from the example, you can cite Wikipedia, Amazon, etc.

I'm sure that writers were never supposed to use the same anecdote for more than one article, because that is plagiarising oneself. I don't do much work for WD, but it's not hard to come up with factual 200-word pieces in 15 minutes or so.
Yep, I got the impression from the email that citing sources is optional. When I checked the interface this morning, I also noticed that the field to submit URLs is marked as optional. And they have not yet chosen to provide a lot of limitations on what constitutes a reliable source - I expect that will appear in a few months when they get tired of seeing Wikipedia used every time they turn around.

They seem to mention the use of anecdotes a lot. Funny thing is that I have never submitted anything to them that included an anecdote - never thought about using that approach. I also tend to write all the submissions in third person rather than first.

I can't help but wonder if folks who have been relying heavily on stories and anecdotes will decide the effort is not worth the money and stop writing for them. Actually, I wonder if that is one of the several reasons for the change. After all, they definitely engaged in more than one hiring frenzy this year.

Guess we'll see how things play out over the next month or so. Could be that the changes allow them to attract more lucrative projects. Could also be the beginning of the end for WD.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I never wrote first-person anecdotes either - I've always been more comfortable writing third-person articles.

I agree that the changes could play out one way or another. As always, diversify!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
WAHM Regular

I can see why they need to change things up over there. But I agree it will probably not be worthwhile at $3.30 a pop if more work is expected.

I loved this place because I could fit in a few during the day between other things or when I just didn't feel like really working! I sure couldn't do anywhere close to 10 an hour, more like three or four. But one here and one there, it added up. And voila! on the fifth of the month I had a nice addition to Paypal that was just painless.

I never did the anecdotes either, just second and third person. I always needed to do some research (except maybe for all those dentists and lawyers!) but if more is called for I'm not sure it's worth it even as a fill in.

Last edited by Marketing Maven; 08-29-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgywriter View Post
Yep, I got the impression from the email that citing sources is optional. When I checked the interface this morning, I also noticed that the field to submit URLs is marked as optional. And they have not yet chosen to provide a lot of limitations on what constitutes a reliable source - I expect that will appear in a few months when they get tired of seeing Wikipedia used every time they turn around.
I got that the citing is optional IF you don't include facts, but they seem to be pushing facts and for that they said cite. Maybe I read it wrong... I haven't written for them for months, since they moved on from the simple, quick topics, so I simply deleted the email and decided others who need the work more can have it.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Super WAHM

Any update on how you are finding the changes on Writers Domain? Not worth it?

This ad will disappear if you login