Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Super WAHM

It takes a little while. I want to say a couple of weeks? I pretty much tanked the test, missing some of the "which is best" type questions that are somewhat subjective, but I am now a level 5 so you can work your way up for sure.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am certainly looking forward to hearing back from them! In light of the recent content mill situation, I am in need of a good egg and get back on my feet. I have been with TB for over 1-1/2 years and have been very disappointed in the lack of work, even at level 4.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb821 View Post
I love Writer Access, too! I am a Level 5 and have a pretty easy time now getting assignments through the casting calls! You're right...the initial testing and application is worth it if you stick with it....it can REALLY pay off
thanks for this; I didnt even know the casting call tab was there. I'm a level 3 and rarely check there because they never have any available jobs. I will be checking much more often.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Super WAHM

I check throughout the day and "apply" for anything I feel I could do. Not all pan out, but I just keep a boilerplate "consider me" cover letter and tweak it a little. Takes minutes and it's been a really good place for me this month. I have several that should turn into ongoing things now.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up Common Questions about Writer Access

Writer Access has been VERY good to me, too! Your success there really does count on the number of casting calls that you respond to. I applied in October, so I can help with a few of the questions.

Applying - So, this is the hardest part and certainly time consuming. You want to send as many samples for as many industries as you can. This will qualify your profile to be seen by clients that are searching for topical writers. Without a sample from each topic you claim to know something about, you probably will not show up on client searches. I don't have a client account there, but when poking around in that department, it seemed to want to force clients to choose an industry to search for authors. They also highlight ten authors within each industry on the intial page of each search. Probably according to your productivity with the site. Not sure on that, just a guess. I hope that makes sense.

A few of the sections are confusing to some extent, and I confess that I left a lot of them blank, but it was not a problem and never brought up by editors at Writer Access.

Initial Rating - it takes anywhere from 5-10 days to have your application reviewed. The level you are assigned is dictated by numerous factors. Primarily, your writing sample, score on the test, and whether or not you have your own blog or website. They explain a bit of this in the FAQ section. I rated as a 3 initially, but moved up to a 5 due to one satisfied client that gave me 5's on 70 articles.

Getting Work - Apply for casting calls that interest you, and check back every day. Most clients want someone NOW; however, others may love list you and wait weeks/months to place an order. So, just keep filling out those casting calls–it never hurts to try, and doesn't count against you in any way. I've been added to several love lists from clients that I didn't apply for and have no idea who they are. You can only see who added you to love lists if you applied, or have written for them before. It's a mystery!

Payment – The biggest downside is that payments are only once per month and the cutoff is for approved assignments on the last day of each month. Then it is approximately the 9th of the following month when your are paid. But the pay is on time!

Clients can set a payment amount by the word, or set a flat rate. I see some clients wanting 5 star work for cheap, but not often. I also see 2 and 3 star gigs that pay into 3 and 4 cents per word. Essentially, your level does not necessarily dictate your ability to make awesome wages.

Writer Assistance – You'll get quick response to questions and support tickets at Writer Access. They are really nice people and try to take care of any problems expediently in my experience. There is no forum there to chat or commune with other writers, at least not yet.

Since beginning to write there in November, I have grossed about $1000. If you find the right clients there, you can make this a primary egg at times, but don't let your others go, because we all know how that can go once projects are finished. My newest client is paying $30 for 300 word descriptions, which you just don't come across on other content sites. At least I have not!

It's well worth the time to apply, especially if you are active in utilizing the casting calls, as that is the primary way to get work. I think the majority of client's use them as opposed to placing open orders. Hopefully, this helps clarify some WA questions. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Super WAHM

I am noticing that people want help NOW! Kind of annoying. You can't hold 3 things in your queue and get anywhere. You have to take it, write it, and get that slot opened up! I was holding a big project for $70 that i was going to write tomorrow (due Friday) but I had to lose it to get a couple of LL things I wanted to do (want to keep those clients happy). I kind of wish they would open more than 3 slots in your queue but I guess this way everyone gets a crack at things. Close to the $xxx mark this month.

Does anyone know one thing - why would an article get stuck in "Pending WA Review" for a day or so? This has happened a couple of times and it made me curious.

Last edited by luvcamerasnic; 04-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Yeah, I agree they're great, but I can't seem to get much work. I'm at level 4, but I haven't done only a few casting calls.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Super WAHM

As we all know, everyone has different experiences with the same company. Personally, I see nothing to love about WA. I started out at Level 4 but that doesn't seem to mean much. I have applied for 13 Casting Calls and gotten on 6 Love Lists, but I rarely see any work despite checking the website several times a day. And I notice that most of the recent Casting Calls are at Level 2 and 3.

My best month was December and that is only because I submitted several article ideas for Idea Sourcing. I was then able to write some of these articles. So far this month I haven't written a thing which is why I plan to close my WA account on Jan. 31. It's wasting my time to look for work that is rarely available. I am also not happy about the once a month payment.

Last edited by HWMM; 01-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes, the once a month payment is kind of a drag...especially when you have a substantial payment coming. Concerning the casting calls at level 2 and 3, some of them pay VERY well, and only list the work at a 2 or 3 to get as many candidates as they can. There's some level 3 and 3 articles that pay .04 cents a word, which I think is pretty generous for what they are asking for. I check them all out because many of them dictate what they will pay in the call, which is often above the standard per word payment.

Most recently, I tested for a company there that is paying .07 cents per word for 300 word descriptions...That's one I hope to land!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Super WAHM

I read all Casting Calls that interest me and apply to them, regardless of the level. And I have seen some clients that offer up to 6 cents a word, but so what? If there is no work when you visit the site these higher rates don't mean anything. Also if the clients post jobs at Level 2 and 3 just to get more applicants that means more competition for a limited supply of work.

This ad will disappear if you login