Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
WAHM Regular

Default iWriter - Is It Even Worth It?

I read the email from the Brad guy and it shocked me. Exploiting writers as usual. I read a lot of complaints about the clients on the site. I agree with most complaints, but I looked on the the other side of the coin...Maybe the writers complaining about clients really suck? I snooped on iWriter today and read client reviews. Writers can leave comments on the clients page or what not. So, I decided to read the writers that got rejected and to see what the deal was. The writers that got their articles rejected are either: 1. Indian writers. 2. American writers that are native speakers that write poorly. Bad grammar and spelling errors galore. Here's my dilemma...

1. Clients taking advantage of the "you don't have to pay for the rejected articles/you can get the content for free for no charge.

2. Writers complaining about clients, but their writing skills suck.

Yes, I know the article rates are super low, but it is comparable to Textbroker. Why did I make this thread?

I am torn between iWriter and MediaPiston. They both pay weekly. You have to "pay your dues" with iWriter more than you do with MediaPiston. MediaPiston has some good rates. Both of the companies have work right now. I am desperate for money, so iWriter is the one I would do first and why?

Tiffany Dow. Many writers are getting 4 star ratings and you need about 20 to become elite or premium. I saw the premium and elite articles and I can see the potential in this company as far as money making (livable wage). iWriter has a better chance of surviving than MediaPiston does. I don't see MediaPiston surviving for too long. iWriter reminds me of Textbroker and you are a ghostwriter. The ghostwriter jobs seem to not get screwed by the Google Panda.

What do you guys think? Should I pursue iWriter even though they are exploiting writers and the clients reject more than accept, but it's the potential of the site. Getting to premium or elite status doesn't seem to be that hard to achieve. Most of the reviews I saw from the clients rejecting everything were from the elite or premium articles and the writers are complaining about them rejecting them. iWriter always has work too.

My main tiff about iWriter is the whole, "You can only write one article per 40 minutes, haha!" Both sites don't allow you to claim more than one article, which sucks. Anyway, thanks for reading my novella

Last edited by Piccolo; 01-17-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I personally have no interest in iWriter because from what I understand, the first 20-30 articles you write pay even lower than a Textbroker level 2. I would not invest that much time hoping to get bumped up to a level that still pays on the low end for content mills.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I'd say neither; have you tried advertising on craigslist to get private clients? I only post maybe 3 ads per week, plus apply to jobs every few days, and I have gotten 5 or 6 new clients in the last 2 weeks. I have TB and Klat for when I don't have a lot of work since it's good to have backup, but I couldn't make a living regularly making less than $10 per article. I wouldn't waste time on a content mill at this point since so many seem to be going under.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernansmom View Post
I'd say neither; have you tried advertising on craigslist to get private clients? I only post maybe 3 ads per week, plus apply to jobs every few days, and I have gotten 5 or 6 new clients in the last 2 weeks. I have TB and Klat for when I don't have a lot of work since it's good to have backup, but I couldn't make a living regularly making less than $10 per article. I wouldn't waste time on a content mill at this point since so many seem to be going under.
3 ads a week? Do you post in different cities? I might have to post an ad on CL then. I thought you could only post in one city and it can't be posted again because of "spamming."

I am in need of money right now, so I can will myself to write for iWriter.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo View Post
Should I pursue iWriter even though they are exploiting writers and the clients reject more than accept
This for me is the bottom line. Anyone who willingly works for a site that they admit is exploiting writers is really sending a message to this and sites like these that writers will take the work regardless, even if they know they're being exploited.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 AM
WAHM Regular

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised that they have high rejection rates. The pay rate is most assuredly part of the problem with that. American writers cannot survive in the least on what they pay. Then the client is encouraged to reject, which seems like an advertisement of getting free work The 20 article requirement is bogus because it does not take that many articles to prove a writer's ability to produce quality work; that's the real exploitative part of the entire business model of iwriter.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo View Post
3 ads a week? Do you post in different cities? I might have to post an ad on CL then. I thought you could only post in one city and it can't be posted again because of "spamming."

I am in need of money right now, so I can will myself to write for iWriter.
I post 2 different ads, one in my city and one in a random other place. Then I renew each one every few days, so really I either post or renew 2 different ads a couple of times per week. Posting ads is how I got my first client in 2008; it's how I got started in the freelancing world. Things were a little different then economy-wise, and I was just dabbling, but as a newbie I was making $.10 per word through clients I found on CL. There is no reason to work for a few bucks an article. Don't TB and CC pay more than that? They usually have work, right?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
WAHM Regular

I am currently writing at Textbroker, and I am quite satisfied. You can make money there if you put the effort into it. It is a nice egg to have in your basket. As for iwriter, I would not waste my time there.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Super WAHM

Piccolo, why aren't you writing for Cracked? I think it would suit you.

This ad will disappear if you login