Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Exactly. The ethical argument is irrelevant for me. I've looked at essay writing in some detail and I've yet to see one that pays what my regular content writing gigs do. Bear in mind academic essays require much more research than simple content writing.
I do agree they require a ton of more work. However, since I am a student myself I guess it is something I am used to in general.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmom91 View Post
The clients I have found off of craigslist pay 5 to 10 cents a word for this writing. I have only been writing for a couple of months so that is good pay to me.
For content writing, it's great. Academic essays are much harder.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmom91 View Post
The clients I have found off of craigslist pay 5 to 10 cents a word for this writing. I have only been writing for a couple of months so that is good pay to me.
Yes. The work is definitely there. You will definitely not be on here complaining about lack of work. Finding private clients is the way to go. If things were to dry up for me, I'd write essays before I'd battle another brutal winter commute.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
Personally, I am against many of these jobs because they all involve selling essays and term papers to high school and college students. It infuriates me that there are students out there buying all of their papers and earning their diploma or degree without doing much of the work.

My neighbor is like that. She decided to enroll in an online college to get an associates degree in business management. She paid people in her office or her teenagers' friends to write her essays for her. So while she may have the degree, she didn't really earn it herself and the University of Phoenix didn't seem to notice or care.
Sorry to revitalize an old thread, but I couldn't let this comment pass. I've worked for online colleges like the University of Phoenix for 4 years and I can tell you that these online schools DO care about this kind of thing - they care a heck of a lot! I and other instructors are constantly using every tool at our disposal (not just plagiarism checkers, but also careful Google searches, searching known cheat sites like StudentofFortune, etc) to try and combat this issue and we file reports on even a relatively small assignment just so there will be a record of that student having cheated (since the more a student has on his/her record, the more likely serious action will be taken if the student continues to cheat). I know your post was from last year, but I've been with such online schools well before that and this has always been the case.

Someone like your neighbor, who paid people to write her papers, are difficult to catch, unless those people are stupid enough to cheat on their own work by copying from websites.

The only thing I can say is that people like that will find themselves in trouble when it comes down to having to prove that they earned the degree they have. I firmly believe that what goes around, comes around.

So please don't judge online colleges in this way without knowing what really goes on behind the scenes.

Djuna
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
Although I don't write essays, I don't fault writers who do. I don't fault students for using these services in some cases. For instance, someone who is trying to get an engineering degree doesn't really need to waste time and energy writing a history essay. If you are in a computer related field, it can also be a waste. Anyone who went to college knows how we blew off subjects unrelated to our fields. I know many successful people in IT and engineering who did just that.

If a writer has to choose between feeding her kids and writing an essay, is there really a choice to be made?
Mini, granted, I'm prejudice because I'm a college writing teacher, but I do have to take a bit of issue with this comment .

You mention that someone who is getting a degree in engineering or IT is wasting their time writing history papers and the like. I beg to differ. While the topic itself might not be in their field, the actual writing that they do is doing them a lot - strengthening written communication skills, teaching them that using text-message and slang is not appropriate for professional communication, getting them to express their ideas with precision and clarity, since their words have to speak for themselves. It's a matter of making students understand that writing academic papers on topics like history or literature is not about the topic itself or even the essay format - it's about getting the tools to effectively communicate in writing and transferring those skills to the workplace and sharpening their critical thinking and reading skills, which they'll need later on.

My dad is a chemical engineer who worked in his field for 40 years. When he retired, he spent a year and a half at a Texas state university as an adjunct professor, teaching courses to juniors and seniors about quality assurance in his field. He would lament to me how these juniors and seniors (who were about to go out in the job market), didn't know how to write effectively and how he was having to get it through their heads that they DO need to know this in their field, to write reports and the like.

So we can't assume that non-humanities type fields don't need writing skills .

I'm not trying to attack you - just trying to make a point.

Djuna
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You make good points all around, Djuna.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Super WAHM

It's unethical, it's making our next generation stupid etc, etc. If you are writing to make a living the bottom line is the pay isn't worth the work involved.
Personally, I hold no ill regard to anyone who does choose this route. I know what it's like to be a single mom and have no family or help. I begrudge no one their right to make a living and don't feel comfortable judging other people.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWrite View Post
Although its not my place to judge, I generally think that the practice of buying an essay to turn in as an assignment is unethical.

Of course, I place more blame on the students who buy said essays than those that write them.
I agree with you 100%. I used to do this type of academic essay work when I was younger, back in my high school and college days. It was mostly for other students I knew from school. Now that I'm older and wiser I wouldn't do it. I worked damn hard to get the great grades I got in high school and university, so these kids should too, lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djunamod View Post
The only thing I can say is that people like that will find themselves in trouble when it comes down to having to prove that they earned the degree they have. I firmly believe that what goes around, comes around.

So please don't judge online colleges in this way without knowing what really goes on behind the scenes.

Djuna
I admit, I don't know the other side, but I do know from years of living next door to her that the online system really doesn't seem to work against preventing cheating. From what she said, she turned in everything via email and talked to her professors and other students in forums. Many times, her "posts" were actually from her daughter's friends because they were the ones doing the work for spare cash. As far as I know, not once was a video conference required. Area schools here that offer online courses require a video connection so that the professors talk to the students at least once a week to quiz them orally. If that extra step was taken, it would have been clear that she wasn't doing the work.

As for what goes around, comes around... she got a promotion and a $5,000 a year raise after getting her degree. Her boss was one of the people who wrote an essay for her. I talked to him at a Christmas party about why he felt it was ethical to write her essay for her, and his response was that since she's good at her job but just lacked the degree that headquarters suddenly decided all employees needed, he'd rather help her out than lose one of his best data entry workers. I'd like to think karma will catch up with her, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Super WAHM

Yes, it is unethical, but it is not illegal. Does anyone remember fuzz busters, the radar detection devices that told you when a cop was nearby? The Supreme Court ruled that while it was illegal to use them, it was not illegal to manufacture and sell them. In short, the risk was all with the user. I feel that way about these essay sites. I personally wouldn't work for them, and found out that Daily Article was doing them once, so I quit working there. But I don't think I have the right to tell someone else what to do. If a student is sitting in class every day, taking notes and taking the tests, having someone else do a few papers isn't going to make what they learned irrelevant. I was good at writing research papers in school, but some people struggled. In HS, I used to take their research and turn it into papers for a fee. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now doing their research for them -- would never do that.

A lot of the ads I see for people wanting papers written are foreign students who don't speak English well. The ones that bother me are the medical and law students. If someone can't understand the language well enough to write a paper, how are they going to do their jobs effectively? On the other hand, I have edited grammar and spelling on ESL papers where they did the research. I see nothing wrong with that.

I know people who make a lot of money writing research papers. They think like I do. Some students are going to class, taking the tests and making good grades, but they have to work to support themselves. They don't have time to research and write papers. I think that is sort of a grey area. If you know that to be true, who are you to judge? Are we to say people have to lose their jobs so they can do research papers?

It's a conundrum, but if I had to do it to feed my kids, I wouldn't hesitate.

This ad will disappear if you login