Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to chippewapub

As a publisher I can tell you the best advice is to follow the guidelines for the specific publisher you are submitting to.

Our guidelines state that we will return all manuscripts sent through the postal mail unopened and unread. We still get about 2 full manuscripts and a few letters per day. They go immediately back to the sender.

That's just the beginning. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
WAHM Regular

Hey guys

I am really new at all of this need some help. Looking for a job at home and have experience in data entry, telemarketing and customer service. I have been reading about some girls getting hired with West. Tell me more someone please

Thank you so muchEdited by: SamMilvil
Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to denisek

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmontgirl

Strangely, yes. I had written some content articles a long time ago. I submitted them to CC in October of last year and forgot about them completely (I didn't take CC very seriously back then). I sold one in March for $50 and one again a couple of months ago again for $50!

So YES I've had luck and will continue to use it when I have extra articles to submit.

Good luck!
This is really good to know, I had no idea they would pay that much.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 PM

There's a whole folder devoted to West, as well as other folders devoted to similar call center jobs. A lot of people do well with them, I've heard.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Thought I'd jump in here and add my two cents.

I've been writing professionally for 6 years. I've won two Press Association awards, and I've taught an adult's creative writing class at the local college.

I write for our local newspaper. This is one of the hardest places to squeeze into, but when I read about $1 articles, it made me cringe. Your words are worth far more than that.

I write a weekly opinion column and an occasional news feature, and what I wanted to tell you was, just ask.

Contact the editor of your local paper, and ask them if they are in need of any stringers, free-lancers, etc. Offer to send them a resume' with some writing samples, and give them a general idea of when you're available (ie, I am available to cover school functions during the normal working day, sports events on the weekends, etc)

You may get a lot of "no thank you's", but you may get a yes. And if you do, that's your ticket in.

I wrote my first piece free. It gave me a byline, and got me in. When the readers responded, they gave me a weekly spot, and I love it.

You won't get rich this way, I started out making about $20 an article, but it is certainly a way to get started.

Hope this has been helpful to at least someone!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via AIM to Red Baron Send a message via MSN to Red Baron Send a message via Yahoo to Red Baron

Do you have to go to the offices anytime? I've heard others have had success writing for their local paper and have thought about it. However, going into the office is next to impossible for me. I'm sure it would vary from paper to paper and would depend on what they want you to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisiLou
Thought I'd jump in here and add my two cents.

I've been writing professionally for 6 years. I've won two Press Association awards, and I've taught an adult's creative writing class at the local college.

I write for our local newspaper. This is one of the hardest places to squeeze into, but when I read about $1 articles, it made me cringe. Your words are worth far more than that.

I write a weekly opinion column and an occasional news feature, and what I wanted to tell you was, just ask.

Contact the editor of your local paper, and ask them if they are in need of any stringers, free-lancers, etc. Offer to send them a resume' with some writing samples, and give them a general idea of when you're available (ie, I am available to cover school functions during the normal working day, sports events on the weekends, etc)

You may get a lot of "no thank you's", but you may get a yes. And if you do, that's your ticket in.

I wrote my first piece free. It gave me a byline, and got me in. When the readers responded, they gave me a weekly spot, and I love it.

You won't get rich this way, I started out making about $20 an article, but it is certainly a way to get started.

Hope this has been helpful to at least someone!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:16 PM
WAHM Regular

Nope,I never go to the office.

If I cover a news story, I obviously would have to go to that event (say a county meeting or something), but I do my writing from home and email it in.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:16 PM
WAHM Regular

Nope,I never go to the office.

If I cover a news story, I obviously would have to go to that event (say a county meeting or something), but I do my writing from home and email it in.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
WAHM Regular

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and leads. A little overwhelming, but lots of great stuff on here!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered WAHM

Thank You for creating this thread! really appreciate it!

This ad will disappear if you login