Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Super WAHM

Default Quality Gal

Does anyone still write for quality gal? I have not for a long time and my account was deactivated. She states on the blog you can email her to become reactivated. I was thinking of trying. Does anyone know her email address. I donít want to just leave a comment on the blog. Thanks
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Super WAHM

I still write for them - you can find her address at Qualitygal.com - I think it is in the upper right hand corner.

Libby
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
WAHM Regular

@Libby: Hi, I'm new. Can you describe your QualityGal experience a little? How often do you write, what is the standard article length, etc.? I looked at the blog, and am thinking about signing up.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhyahcf

I write for them and love it. Some people don't care for all the links you put in for the majority of the articles, but I find it simple to add links. I can write one article that's mostly just links in a little under an hour. (45 min or so) I've never spent more than 1.5 hours on an article for them, and some of that time is spent reading because the topic is interesting and I get sidetracked. It is a very friendly place to write for. The editors are great and get your stuff edited fairly quickly. They answer questions promptly and you can email them if something comes up and you need a short extension on a deadline. Just read everything they have about their style and voice, and you should do just fine. This month they will probably make up the bulk of my income as opposed to DS or any other content site. Good luck

Rhyah
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered WAHM

Smile

I write for them also. While I don't mind the articles with links, I find that I am kind of slow with them. Does anybody want to share any tips they have for finding quality links fast? I do know how and use site:.org and such...I'm just slow I guess. I really need to increase my speed on the articles as much as I can. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Super WAHM

I use the site:.edu and site:.gov a lot. I also open a bunch of tabs so that I can research more than one set of terms at a time. Also, make sure you're using the little insert link thing in Word because that makes it a lot faster. You just open that up, click on the page you're linking to, and it automatically fills in the link and link words (which you may or may not have to change depending on what it says) I also use real specific search terms so I don't get a bunch of sites that are just gibberish. I just recently did one that was strictly links with an intro pg and I needed 40 links and it took me 45 minutes to do. So not sure if you consider that fast or not for linking, but I can find about one every one to two minutes.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered WAHM

Wow!! I do consider that fast. I'll have to try opening up more tabs and using more specific search terms. Sometimes I can get the first 10-20 links fairly quickly but then slow down because of problems finding more high quality links. I mainly use Google but sometimes switch over to Yahoo to get different pages at the top of the search engine listing.

I think I am basically hyperlinking like you explained it, if I understood correctly. What I do is either type out or copy and paste the link text I want to use into Word. Next I go to the web site and copy the URL. Then I highlight the link text in Word and right click on my mouse and choose hyperlink. When the form comes up, I press Control V to paste the address on the URL line and then check the link text at the top and click OK. I can do these fairly quickly.

I guess mainly I am slow at finding the pages to link to and then writing out the descriptions of the links. I love the articles with no link descriptions.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Super WAHM

I don't type anything into my word document as far as links go. I have Word 2003 and when I open it up and look at the top toolbar that has like all the little graphics of a printer and clipboard and stuff like that, there's one graphic that looks like the earth and has a little chain link near the bottom. When I hover over that it says insert hyperlink. So I put in my bullet for the link, then I click on that graphic and a little box pops up.

All I have to do after that is click back on the page I want to link to and it automatically fills in everything for me. I don't have to cut and paste or highlight anything. I just click and then go back to my article and make sure that the link is correct and that the anchor text says what I want it to. If it doesn't, I change it. Then I hit enter and the link's there. If you have something like that, then you could go faster. When I first started doing the links I was doing it manually, kind of like how you described. Then I thought there has to be a quicker way and found that little insert hyperlink button and now I just search, click, and go. Hope that explains it a little better.

Also, not sure how you're doing your link descriptions, but I find it easiest to make the link the first word in your sentence. For example if I'm linking to a .edu site about alcohol, I'd say Auburn University (that would be my blue link) lists resources for overcoming alcoholism, including how to help family members. Then that's all I write. I only add a second sentence if I think the site is more comprehensive and needs more description. I noticed the styles list sometimes has like LINK: then description. But I always use the link as my first word in the sentence. Hope this makes sense.

Rhyah

Last edited by Rhyahcf; 02-04-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add more
Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi everyone..
Thanks for sharing your tips on writing fast for QG. Just wanted to say that I've been writing for QG for about a month now and am loving it. Like @Rhyah, I open plenty of tabs and do multiple searches. It doesn't take very long to find good quality, .gov,.edu or .org links and once you get in the groove of link finding, the article comes together really quickly.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered WAHM

I have Word 2002, and I cannot get it to pop in the URL by itself. I have to either copy and paste (which I do) or type it manually (which I don't do). I even searched last night for tutorials and followed the steps from above and on different sites, and it just won't pop in the URL by itself. I'm not sure if some kind of setting is wrong or what.

Chris

This ad will disappear if you login