Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

View Poll Results: How much per audio hour do you make?
Under $20.00 per audio hour 2 3.08%
$20 to $30 per audio hour 5 7.69%
$30 to $40 per audio hour 4 6.15%
$40 to $50 per audio hour 14 21.54%
Over $50 per audio hour 40 61.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Super WAHM

Hi,

After accepting my first contract I was really curious as to what the average audio hour pay is. I understand that a lot of people have more than one contract, so you can vote for each contract that you have.

Thanks!!

(Hope no one is offended by this, it would just be nice to have something to compare)[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

For those of you who are making less than $30 per audio hour, my personal opinion is that you are severely undervaluing your skills. Even people who pay very little expect quality work. If someone is paying you $20 or $25 per audio hour, they obviously think you're doing quality work, or they wouldn't be paying you. So if you're getting paid, it means you're doing quality work. And if you're doing quality work, you deserve to get paid more than $20 or $25 for it.

This is just my opinion, but I hate the idea of someone working so hard and so long for what amounts to less than the minimum wage here in the US.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks so much to everyone who voted!! I really appreciate the info.

What do you think a good starting rate is? And what kind of increase over what time period would you expect?

Thanks for any thoughts!![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Bumping, cause I'd like to know the answer to this last question.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered WAHM

I actually started at $21/AH. Which yes, is a bad rate, but it was a starting point and it's hard to get your foot in the door. I worked for them for only about two weeks and ended up getting on with someone else. I had taken an MT course, so I had all the very basic skills. My rate increased dramatically with my next contract. I am now (less than two years later) making almost 4 times what I started at. Well, really a lot more if you talk about the time that it took me to even do an audio hour to begin with. Hope that answers your question!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
WAHM Regular

Since I just started I won't be making as nearly as much as I want to, but my pay is $50 per audio hour for general transcription. $60 or more for rush jobs.

~Erin Bates

Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I personally prefer to be paid per a certain number of characters, like say per 1,000 characters. I work for a company that starts you out at 83 cents per 1,000 characters. The more work you do, and if your quality of work is good, you can get raised up to $1.10 per 1,000 characters. When you get paid per character, you are not going to get paid the same for any(2)1 hour audio files.

Why? Because some people talk faster, and so, you may have to type more. On average an hour can be anywhere from 50,000 to 60,000 characters. So, 50,000 divided by 1,000 = 50, then 50 x .83 = 41.50 for that file. And say it took you about 3 hours to transcribe it, including spell check & proofing it, then you made about $13.83 per hour, which isn't bad.

But, if there were 60,000 characters, 60 x .83 = 49.80 & you transcribed, proofread& spell checked it in 3 hours, you made 16.60 per hour. So, that's why getting paid per character is better. If youget paid a flat amount per 1 hour of audio, you will be getting gipped on files, where the speaker was able to fit in more words in that hour than someone else was able to do.

The amount of time it takes to transcribe 1 hour of audio varies also. It depends on the quality of the audio, the # of speakers involved, and the ability to understand the speaker(s). In the above example, 1 hour can be done in 3 hours, if you have one main speaker, who speaks for the majority of the audio, and then has a quick question & answer session at the end, where you can easily identify the speakers, if they give their names. And a typing speed of at least 75 wpm.

Now, if you have a not so good audio (it is too low, mulitple speakers talking over one another, background noise, etc) then an audio of this nature, may take longer than 3 hours, because you will probably have to start and stop a lot. So, it all depends on those factors. In this case also your typing speed will not matter, but, your ability to not get frustrated in these cases will matter. These kinds of files can be very nerve wracking & not worth the money at all. LOL.

But, I think, I prefer to get paid per characters, rather than a flat fee, unless the flat fee is $60.00 or more. I don't think I've done a one hour audio, that paid more that = $60.00 (based on the above calculations), and I was able to complete in 3 hours. So, anything starting at $60.00 & above as a flat rate is good. $50 as a flat fee isn't bad, if you can complete in about 3 hrs time, if it takes longer than that, then it's not worth it IMO.

So, as I stated on average a 1 hour audio, will probably have between 50,000 to 60,000 characters, unless the person is a speed talker and can fit 100,000 words into an hour. I'm sure there's someone out there who can probably do it. LOL

Hope this helps

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
WAHM Regular

With my lowest-paying contract, I make over $60/AH, and I know transcriptionists that make over $100/AH. I agree with Susan that you are seriously undervaluing your skills if you accept anything less than $30-$40/AH. Edited by: KaylaW84
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
WAHM Regular

$100/ah, Holy Crap! They must be MTs or run their own transcription businesses.

~Erin Bates

Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 PM
WAHM Addict

Most MTs charge by the line, not by audio hour.

At least I've never heard of MTs who charge by audio hour.

This ad will disappear if you login