Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Help with Express Scribe hot keys on Mac!

Hello wonderful people! I've already learned a lot from reading this forum and other websites. I have a problem though: when I try to use hot keys, the Mac itself responds with starting my iTunes, refreshing pages changing volume, what have you, instead of ES responding. I'm definitely selected in the correct window, since I'm typing in it and manually playing/pausing it. What can I do? I'm sorry if this is a silly question; I looked and looked online and couldn't find my problem or a solution. Please save me I'm getting a foot pedal on Wednesday but the geek in me *must* know.

About me since this is my first post: Just starting transcription,will start with general transcription part time, might move up to medical or full time if I like it. I type 85-95 adjusted wpm (95-98% accuracy appx), am PC savvy but not great on hubby 's Mac. I will be getting a used foot pedal soon, and a brand new laptop this weekend (PC/Windows 8). Oh, and right now I work about 30 hrs/wk as a nanny. Thanks for any help!

PS I am typing this on my Kindle so please don't take any typos as poor grammar/typing skills!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
WAHM Regular

I have the same issue with my computer, not a Mac. I had to change the hotkeys within ExpressScribe to things that aren't included on my computer. I don't know if that will work on the Mac. Options...System Wide hotkeys...then change the things you need to use.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks! I took your advice and assigned the only keys that don't have a picture on them - F5 and F6 - as start and stop. I hope on my new PC there are more options, but I'll have my foot pedal by then anyway. I transcribed two test segments for Tigerfish today... whew! One was a focus group and took me about 6:1. A lot of that was rewinding to catch difficult to hear words, and part of it was looking at the Tigerfish guidelines for formatting. On the next piece I went through it all the way before double checking guidelines so I could get a better feel for my actual transcription speed - it was a lot faster that way! It was a medical piece though so I had to spend an additional 15 minutes looking up how to spell tricky words, or find out what a word was.

In both five minute segments, there were maybe 2-4 words that I simply couldn't understand. Is that normal, or a sign that I'm doomed for failure in this venture? :-P I slowed the audio down, sped it up, listened to it louder, just couldn't figure it out. I hope that doesn't exclude me from employment at Tigerfish but if so that's fine; it's still practice and the more I practice the better I'll be!

This ad will disappear if you login