Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Express Scribe is not free anymore!

I decided to install the newer version of Express Scribe from their site. There's a link that says "click here for free version," so I did. And when I installed it, pops out the "trial version is now expired" and have to pay for the upgrade (Pro).

Ah no, I don't wanna buy it because I don't need those things that are on that upgraded version. So frustrating. They really would push you to upgrade or else some of them that were working for free version before won't work anymore.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thumbs down

Yes, unfortunately Escribe isn't free anymore. I needed to install another version on my new laptop & I thought I had a free version, but discovered also that it was just a FREE TRIAL version of it. I'm going to copy it from off of my old desktop & install the free version I have on there onto my laptop. I don't want to pay for it either, as I don't really use it that much anymore. It's sad at how they are now charging for what used to be FREE.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
WAHM Addict

Wow that's sad.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to SusanS

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like you can still have the free version?
"If you downloaded the installer from " Download the free version here" link and when you installed you'll see at the upper part of its window says "Express Scribe Pro: Unlicensed Trial version and when you check from Help>About says Licensed user: Unlicensed basic free version

This means the software is in trial mode and when it reach 14 days it will automatically converted to free version." Express Scribe - Is the free version of Express Scribe truly gone or is there a website error? I downloaded it and got a trial version of the Pro package. Has your policy has changed ?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SoccerMomx2

This is what I've found. Transcription Software. Foot Pedal Software Player

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Express Scribe is still free. You can upgrade to the Pro version which does cost money.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Super WAHM

Both PolythenePam and SusanS have linked to a page which explains it.

Nevertheless, why is everyone so opposed to paying for the Pro version? ES has been free for a long time. Why shouldn't the company have something back for what it has given us? The paid version doesn't exactly break the bank.

Free is nice, but if a piece of software is a tool of your trade, you need to have the best version, IMHO.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alba View Post
Both PolythenePam and SusanS have linked to a page which explains it.

Nevertheless, why is everyone so opposed to paying for the Pro version? ES has been free for a long time. Why shouldn't the company have something back for what it has given us? The paid version doesn't exactly break the bank.

Free is nice, but if a piece of software is a tool of your trade, you need to have the best version, IMHO.
Yes, I understand your point but that Pro I think is old. It's just kind of disappointing to pay when you only need those features that are available for free version.

About the link, Yes, I've seen that. Thank you. I just have to wait for 14 days.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
WAHM Regular

I totally agree with you Alba. I love a free trial of something to see if it's what will work for me before purchase, but dang - like you said, ES has been free for so long. The developers have done a fantastic job, and yes, it does not break the bank. They have a pretty darn good forum where you get answers to questions. The best programs I use I've had to pay a little bit to get them; ES, recorders, text expander program, and a few others, and haven't regretted it a day yet.

There are still a variety of free programs out there for those that don't want to pay.... you're safe for now.

Got to love the me, me, me - give me, give me attitude the human race is heading towards.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered WAHM

Personally, I have NO problem paying for Express Scribe. I use the Pro version and paid for it about a year ago after my free version proved to be lacking. Recently, I upgraded to the newer version and had to pay an additional fee, which I did without hesitation.

More and more people are assuming that everything should be free on the internet. Express Scribe is wonderful software and NCH is wonderful for providing it for us. It's definitely NOT expensive and well worth the investment.

Just my two cents....

This ad will disappear if you login