Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Best place to find general transcription work?

So I just finished up my 2nd transcription job yesterday....

I'd like some tips from you guys though...

I'm new at this. I've had no training, but I have good spelling and have been told that I'm a decent writer. I don't work with any special transcription equipment aside from a pair of headphones. I had my first job last month, and it was a 1 hour interview between two people. That one took me about 6 hours to do. Obviously, since it was my first time doing any sort of transcription, it was so exhausting, especially since the deadline was that very same day.

My 2nd job was a bigger project from the same person. This time it was an interview between 3 people: the interviewer and 2 interviewees. This one took me a week to complete because it was almost 5 hours.

I charged $40.00 for the 1 hour interview and a total of $160.00 for the 2nd job.

My fastest typing speed (I found this out through some online speed typing test) is 69 words per minute.

At my fastest, I was able to transcribe a 10 minute interview (the last portion of the 5 hour job that I did) between 2 people in half an hour.

What else should I know? What should I charge? Do I NEED to buy a foot pedal and transcription software? I seem to be doing just fine without it.

My most important question is this; where can I get more jobs? The person who I worked for most likely is going to have another interview for me to transcribe soon, but nothing has been confirmed so I'd like to have other options. I post ads on Craigslist, but I'm lucky if I get 1 response in a week.

Last edited by Narutimate89; 03-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
WAHM Regular

First of all, in my opinion you should be charging, at a minimum, about twice what you are. Minimum.

Secondly, if you haven't already, you should download a free trial of a transcription playback software like Express Scribe or FTW. You will make your life so much easier if you do so.

In regards to finding new clients, Craigslist is a start. You can also check freelance websites and classified ads. Additionally, there's a stickied thread here with suggestions on companies that you can contract with.

Good luck!

This ad will disappear if you login