Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Don't Work For Scribie

I applied. Got my number (411). Waited for that email to go test. Got the email to test today. I picked an audio file and transcribed it. Come to find out, it wasn't a "test file". It was an actual customer. Scribie accidentally double listed this file and someone had already transcribed it before I could submit.

When I asked support about it, they told me it was a duplicate, it's already been transcribed and the customer got it, so I need to pick a new file. They could have accepted it anyway since it was just a TEST, but no. Since it didn't profit them, they wanted me to go pick another file and do it all over again.

I just wasted part of my evening. My husband is in the Army. He works 14 hours (no lie) every single work day. What time we get to spend together is important. I'm so angry I just don't even know what to do.

Scribie is horrible, awful, and they pay next to nothing anyway!!!!

Last edited by armywifemedtranscription; 02-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Super WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to seattlejan Send a message via Skype™ to seattlejan

Whoa, I'm sorry to hear about that. A test should be a test, not a freebie that they get to profit from.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Amen to that!

Hi,

Sorry you went through that. Scribie is terrible. They usually have bad audio, and they pay less than peanuts for the work they want done. It was their fault the file was listed twice, so they should have taken that into consideration. Watch out for places that give out "live" files as tests. Some of them will get people to do the "test file," and then tell them that they didn't pass, so they don't have to pay you for the test. Then, in essence, they got the work done for free, and you're out of luck.

Have you applied at some of the other transcription companies? There's a bunch out there that pay more than Scribie. The audio's much clearer, and, most of the time, you get to work for nicer people. Also, maybe try SpeechInk or CastingWords on Mturk. They don't pay so much, but it's something that can help fill in the blanks. Check out the list of transcription companies on this site, and Freelance Transcriptionist Road. You can likely find something better there.

I know what you mean about taking time away from the family. My husband doesn't work such long hours, but he hates it when I have to work when he's home, because we lose out on our time together with our daughter. I would be smoldering mad if I went through all of that work for nothing, and then to have them say, "Sorry, do it over again."

Laurie
Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Registered WAHM

I am going to give it a try. I applied with Sciribe a few weeks ago and I received the testing email this week. This morning I received my acceptance email and was paid for my first transcription file. I thought it was extremely easy work. I am also with Leapforce and a full time student. Being a mom with five kids this will definitely help me pay for gas each month. Now I am just trying to figure out how much time I would have to put in to make at least an extra $100 a month with Scribie.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM
WAHM Regular

Scribie breaks up their files into 6 minute pieces. For each piece you transcribe, you get paid $1.00. So, that's $10.00 for transcribing 60 minutes of audio. That's pretty much bottom of the barrel pay for transcription. Plus, I've actually listened to several of their "test files," and the audio quality is terrible. One I grabbed sounded like somebody was trying to record an interview on the street, with one party live, and the other party on a speakerphone 20 feet away. As I said before, there are bunches of transcription companies out there, who pay much better, and will give you much better audios to work with, even if you're new at transcription.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste time with Scribie. Check out Emery's list at List of Transcription Companies | Freelance Transcriptionist Road

Lots of these companies are hiring. Here's hoping that you all find something that works for you.

Laurie
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Default I worked for Scribie

I agree with everyone that their audio files are horrible, but I used it to my advantage. I used Scribie to get experience and improve my skills. The way I looked at it is it's just one step up from the practice transcription offers I was taking to get the same experience. This way I made a couple of dollars while I got some practice time in. Now I have 3 contracts and I no long need Scribie. Take those lemons and make lemonade with it!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I agree about being a stepping stone for someone new. I also suggest QT for someone who has no experience and wants to break into Transcription. A few I know personally, used QT in the same matter and later got on with better companies in General Transcription.

btw: Scribie tests I were sent a while back were pretty bad as mentioned above. I passed solely on the sound quality. If I've got to sit and listen over and over again to figure out what was said, I'd be there all day.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered WAHM

Default data entry

I am new to the search for transcriptionist and data entry online jobs. Can anyone tell me who IS safe and worth working for?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Registered WAHM

How on earth are people making a living getting paid $10 an audio hour? Unless you're typing 1:1, you're making under min wage. That's insane.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Might be good for a month or so to get some experience working with files. Six-minute files isn't much to commit to. After a few weeks, though, it's time to move on.

Last edited by Lainie23; 04-09-2014 at 09:26 AM.

This ad will disappear if you login

Tags
scribie