Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Babbletype?

Anyone worked for them? Reviews?
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM
WAHM Regular

I just got onboarded with them last night to do QA work and have done a couple of files. Seems like something that I can do when I don't have work coming from other places and the files are pretty short. I have not read any reviews here on them, but on Odesk they do seem to have a pretty good reputation.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 AM
WAHM Regular

I did a few files for them earlier in the summer. They were very professional and always paid on time. I stopped their files because a) the project I came on board to work on (which paid a higher rate) finished, b) their normal rate is quite low, and c) the way they have their workflow organized, it seemed like I was spending more time hunting for work to do than actually working.

If you find that their workflow works for you and you don't mind the pay rate, they were very nice to work for.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
WAHM Regular

I did notice that the rate of pay is rather low, but they seem to have a ton of work right now, and if you star folders in Google Docs so that they are easier to get back to, it doesn't seem to take too long to find a file to work on. It definitely won't be full-time work, but I thought it would be nice to have something where the files are short and I'm doing QA rather than transcription. I look at it as something to do when I don't have work available in other places.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm curious as to why nothing bad is said about Babbletype's pay. In fact, it's about half what I pay.

So I'm wondering why people are being rude to me about what I pay and nothing bad is said about Babbletype.

Go figure
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Partly because it's apples and oranges. Babbletype hiries QA from the US, but offshores the actual transcription. When I did transcription for them, it was at a far more reasonable rate per a/m. Their pay for QA is acceptable because they don't ask QA to proof to audio. You'll note that both of us did mention that their transcription rate is quite low, but that's not the job the OP is doing, nor is it one I would do for them at that rate.

Also, they're not here, advertising their low rate jobs. Rest assured that if they were here doing so, opinions as to the appropriateness -- or lack thereof -- of their transcription rate would be mentioned to them.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM
WAHM Regular

I tried hiring offshore. Even if they have a high rating on oDesk, the work isn't all that accurate and I find it takes me more time to edit it than if I typed it myself -- in most cases.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
WAHM Regular

I haven't been rude to you, and I actually did apply to work for you back when I first got started in transcription, but never heard a word back from you. I have since found some contracts that pay more and give me more of a lengthy TAT but you are free to offer what you will. I think what was bothering people more than your rate of pay was the fact that you seemed to be demanding a lot for a lower rate of pay, and that there were a couple posts that you made that had parts that did seem quite "snarky". Actually, one of them was a response to a post that I made myself.
Babbletype's rate of pay for transcription is quite low, and I do not do transcription for them because of that reason. I do, however, do QA work for them occasionally when I don't have work somewhere else or when I just want a change of pace. It's also nice that they pay weekly through Odesk and you can have that pay sent to a number of different places such a paypal, your bank account, etc.
Either way, I wish you luck in finding the help that you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiScript View Post
I'm curious as to why nothing bad is said about Babbletype's pay. In fact, it's about half what I pay.

So I'm wondering why people are being rude to me about what I pay and nothing bad is said about Babbletype.

Go figure
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylansmommy View Post
I haven't been rude to you, and I actually did apply to work for you back when I first got started in transcription, but never heard a word back from you. I have since found some contracts that pay more and give me more of a lengthy TAT but you are free to offer what you will. I think what was bothering people more than your rate of pay was the fact that you seemed to be demanding a lot for a lower rate of pay, and that there were a couple posts that you made that had parts that did seem quite "snarky". Actually, one of them was a response to a post that I made myself.
Babbletype's rate of pay for transcription is quite low, and I do not do transcription for them because of that reason. I do, however, do QA work for them occasionally when I don't have work somewhere else or when I just want a change of pace. It's also nice that they pay weekly through Odesk and you can have that pay sent to a number of different places such a paypal, your bank account, etc.
Either way, I wish you luck in finding the help that you need.
I am choosing to ignore the first half of your reply.

As far as the second half goes, do you find that the QA work is difficult? As in, do you find it's so bad sometimes that you have to completely retype the whole thing?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of moving to a model where I pay the transcribers the same, but they're not held to high standards, and then paying editors a higher rate to look through the transcripts.

As I raise my rates in the coming few weeks, I'm looking at changing my entire process. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should pay my transcribers a lot and hold them to high standards, or if I should pay the transcribers the same amount, hold them to lower standards, and pay the editors higher.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
WAHM Regular

If you decide to go with a looser "first draft" type transcription and add a QA process, what I recommend you do is go with a scoring system of some kind with a simple pass/fail determination early on in the QA process. If a transcript is so bad that it would take less time to re-type it, then that transcriptionist either needs to either be counseled on how to improve their work or be let go, in my opinion.

If you institute a QA process, I would still make clear that transcriptionists should proof to audio. Then you can have QA review any timestamped places in the audio to see if they can understand/hear what the transcriptionist couldn't, and look for obvious mishears by reading rather than proofing to audio.

This ad will disappear if you login