Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Default What's up with Scribie?

Hello again
What's the deal with Scribie? They accepted my application, so now I'm waiting to be invited to take the test. When I started, I was number 121 in the queue. Now, I'm at 140. Why do I keep getting pushed down the list? Most places have a test you can download when you apply, and send the transcript back when completed. I'm not sure if these guys are worth the wait. I need to make some money. I'm applying everywhere I can think of, but I'm kind of a beginner, so I'm not qualified for some of the work I've found in this field. I'm only really looking for general transcription work. How long does it take to be invited to the test?

Laurie
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Well, from what I read on their site, your place on the waiting list can go up or down depending on new applicants that apply. I applied about 2 weeks ago, was 31 on the list and now I'm 27. I'm not sure how accurate the number is, or how long it takes to move up on the list. I think that there are a lot of factors that affect it.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
WAHM Regular

I read in the FAQ that they use some sort of algorithm to handle the list, so it isn't in order of when you apply. I just think it's a little odd I've gotten pushed back so far. Now I'm at 151. I'm starting to get discouraged.
Laurie
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Default update

I checked my status again just now, and I'm suddenly at 165. [grumble] I'm not sure how the algorithm works, but I don't like it very much. I don't think it's a very fair way for them to do things.

L
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 AM
WAHM Regular

I just checked their website. Am I reading that right, that they pay a whole $10 an audio hour? I know that may be good for some people, but there are plenty of places out there that start you out at more than that.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Super WAHM

Zalloy,

Unless you think there is some good reason to work for around $10 per audio hour - there's every reason not to do so actually - I wouldn't worry too much about their algorithms or anything else.

Try applying to some of the companies which pay a fair rate to transcriptionists, even beginners.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
WAHM Regular

I am number 169 so I know how you feel, but I have been applying like crazy for other jobs anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
WAHM Regular

I know $10 an hour isn't much, but I'm just starting out in this line of work. Of course, if I were more experienced, I'd feel more comfortable asking for more. I've been applying at all the transcription businesses that I can find that will hire someone who doesn't have years of experience. So far, I've applied with 7 companies, I've tested for 4, and I'm awaiting responses. One company, Way With Words, declined my application after I completed their test. I'm sure I did everything correctly for their test, even though they didn't include a style sheet or formatting instructions. I went back and verified everything before sending it. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Believe me, I'm not sitting around waiting on Scribie. I figure that if I keep trying, eventually someone will give me a chance. I'll just keep on applying.

Laurie
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered WAHM

I applied a week ago. They placed me at #3 on the waiting list. When I first applied. The page where you put in your name, address, etc., their is a spot where they asks you do you want to input any other info. I had experience in that field approx 12 years ago, and also went to school for it a long time ago. I think thats why they put me at #3. I got invited to take the test. Just took the test today, had to practice first, waiting for a reply to see if I passed. Someone said it was a good place to start out to get experience. I needed to get back on track with transcription, figured I start here. I know they pay peanuts, but at least its a stepping stone to something bigger.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM
WAHM Regular

Zalloy,

Just for clarification, $10 an audio hour and $10 an hour mean two different things in the transcription world. One audio hour can take you 4 hours to complete, meaning you would make $2.50 an hour. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Good luck!

This ad will disappear if you login