Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfulwahm View Post
I've read most of the posts that "bash" these companies and none so far have given me a good reason NOT to work for these companies,.....
It isn't "bashing" of the companies; it's letting inexperienced transcriptionists know that working for extremely low pay hurts the transcription industry in the long run.

That's true for any industry, not just transcription.

(And, yes, we know that when you have to put food on the table and you can't find a better paying job, you have to do it anyway.)

The idea is just to let new transcriptionists know that protecting the standard transcription pay rate is something that should be considered. It's something that we all learned when we first started working as transcriptionists. I learned it from experienced MTs when I first started and I learned the lesson well.

And the other reason to pass this bit of information on to newbies is so that they are aware that there are better paying companies, which some wouldn't realize exist otherwise.

Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Super WAHM

MTHome, I agree with you 100% about not working for pennies in the transcription or any other industry unless absolutely necessary. It is insulting. I can't speak for CallGraph or Quicktate because I haven't worked for them but I haven't heard yet from anyone that AppenScribe has a lousy pay rate. So I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I just started working with them and am assessing how many hours I work and how much money I will be paid for it. If it pans out to be worthwhile, I'll definitely keep it up when necessary. I would never do this work as my sole contract without looking for better and I don't advise anyone to. I don't necessarily need the money but I just prefer to spend the time that I can to work and if Appen is the only place offering work at the time, I'll go with it.

Hey, my story may change if I feel the pay isn't up to par!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm sure there are several companies like this, but the one I know of is Ubiqus. They will call you first to ask if you can take on work. They will tell you how long the file is and you can either accept it or not. You can sometimes ask if they have a shorter file or a longer file, whatever you have time for. I love this because this way I can schedule work into my schedule. If I'm swamped doing work for someone else, I can simply say no thank you. This way, there is steady work, but not too much or too less.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
WAHM Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakzore View Post
I don't think Appen deserves as much flak as it gets, but the others do. With Appenscribe you can at least make a minimum wage. With CallGraph you are going to make $3-$4 an hour, which is rank exploitation.
I agree. I've been working with Appen since January and the pay is not bad. I guess it depends on how fast you type or the type of projects that you receive. I'm earning between $10-$15 per hour on a regular basis, that's a little less than half of what I make on my day job. I simply asked them to send me "rework" assignments. This involves just looking over what others have already typed and making minor corrections or checking a box stating there are no errors. Needless to say it takes less than a minute to do and the amount adds up pretty quickly.

Appen shouldn't even be mention in the same breath as CallGraph and QT. I gave up my other contracts to work just for them in my "spare time". They don't have a deadline or turnaround time, and the work is available 24/7 day or night, just login whenever you feel like working and the projects will be in your "available work" folder. This is definitely stress-free work! If they offered benefits I would retire from my day job earlier.

I just wished they would use Internet Explorer as their browser instead of Firefox because then I would be able to work on their projects during my down time.

Last edited by Lbuford; 04-18-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sadie1Lady1

The reason a lot of companies require the use of Firefox over Internet Explorer is because it's safer and most hackers/virus perpetrators target IE as it's easier to hack through.

You can also have both IE and Firefox on your computer.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuford View Post
I agree. I've been working with Appen since January and the pay is not bad. I guess it depends on how fast you type or the type of projects that you receive. I'm earning between $10-$15 per hour on a regular basis, that's a little less than half of what I make on my day job. I simply asked them to send me "rework" assignments. This involves just looking over what others have already typed and making minor corrections or checking a box stating there are no errors. Needless to say it takes less than a minute to do and the amount adds up pretty quickly.

Appen shouldn't even be mention in the same breath as CallGraph and QT. I gave up my other contracts to work just for them in my "spare time". They don't have a deadline or turnaround time, and the work is available 24/7 day or night, just login whenever you feel like working and the projects will be in your "available work" folder. This is definitely stress-free work! If they offered benefits I would retire from my day job earlier.

I just wished they would use Internet Explorer as their browser instead of Firefox because then I would be able to work on their projects during my down time.
I starting working for them in January, and I must say that the work is really enjoyable and stress-free. However, I can never find work when I log in. The last project I was assigned to was in February. Is there a certain time that work is loaded or do I have to request work?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sadie1Lady1

You can email Alan anytime and ask him if you can be assigned to a task.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny57 View Post
I starting working for them in January, and I must say that the work is really enjoyable and stress-free. However, I can never find work when I log in. The last project I was assigned to was in February. Is there a certain time that work is loaded or do I have to request work?
Try sending a message to see if they have any availale projects that you can work on.

While you're waiting keep these suggestions in mind. I'm doing mostly "rework" and "QA" (quality assurance) and I see a lot of errors that could have been discovered before saving. These suggestions are for those who are currently working on projects or will be starting to work on projects and would like to increase their accurarcy rating (in case it is low).

1. Take a few seconds to listen to the utterance again before saving to make sure nothing is left out, the correct tags are used and none are missing (this is a common error); and don't throw in additional tags for good measure;

2. Brush up on punctuations. Do not put a period in the middle of a sentence because the sentence is long. A sentence is a complete thought. If it doesn't make sense, the "period" or "question mark" has been misplaced.

CLUE: A sentence never ever begins with the word "or"!

By the way, you can see your ratings on the pay history page. In addition to showing you how much you earned for each project, it will also show you the rating for each of those projects.

Last edited by Lbuford; 04-18-2011 at 03:36 PM.

This ad will disappear if you login