Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Professions > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Registered WAHM

Default At Home Professions

My Sister and I went to the meeting last night. I searched here on WAHM before attending. I really saw no updated information on them. The lady said that they are one of the top schools. I checked BBB. What I found on here were last year comments. Most said that they were not ADHI approved. I found out that they are.
Just wondering if you will find work after graduation?
Any thoughts on the program?
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 AM
Super WAHM

I was unable to verify with AHDI that their program is approved by the organization for medical transcriptionist training, just that they are an institutional member of the program. It is important to attend an AHDI-approved school. I am most familiar with the Career Step program, one of the AHDI-approved programs. Andrews and M-TEC are also AHDI-approved programs. All offer thorough training and many hours of medical reports for transcription so that graduates are thoroughly prepared to enter the workforce upon graduation.

Last edited by Bunny22; 06-18-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
WAHM Addict

No, that school isn't one of the AHDI-approved MT schools.

I always recommend Andrews. M-Tec is good too.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Good Program

I had a friend complete the AHP program, and she said it was comprehensive and used AHDI's Book of Style. She said the instructors and graduate services were helpful. My friend found an MT job after completing the program.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered WAHM

Your friend is DEFINITELY the exception to the rule. That school is NOT recognized as being a good MT school, and it is very very difficult to get hired after completing that course.

It's getting harder to get an MT job all the time now, because so many experienced MTs are out of work, some of them with 15 to 20 years' experience. A newbie just out of any school, but especially AHP, Penn Foster, Allied, etc. would be basically wasting money.

For some reason, even though a hundred people say they were unable to get a job after completing one of these courses, the minute one person says they (or someone they know) got a job, that's the only person anyone pays any attention to. I just don't get it. You're not saving ANY money by taking a less expensive course if you can't get a job afterwards, it's throwing money away. I've seen it over and over and over.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to janyben

I have to agree.. if you are going the MT route, then definitely take an ADHI acredited course. I am at the end of Career Step's course, let me know if you have any questions! I really liked Career Step - totally online, work at your own pace course.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM
WAHM Regular

I am currently attending Allied Medical School; approved by AHDI! I also came across Medical Transcription Jobs Training - Online Medical Transcription Training at Home with Guaranteed Job Placement. They have a Bright Start Program, Training Steps Program, Specialty Classes, and Make Up Class for graduates of other MT schools. Mentored Internship is included, and graduates receive JOB PLACEMENT after graduation. NOT JOB ASSISTANCE BUT JOB PLACEMENT. If I don't find a job with help from Allied Medical School, then I will be enrolling in the Make Up Class. If interested, check it out for yourself!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to adaisyandarose

Be careful about that training class. I just came across where that exact company was hiring teachers to teach MT with no training. There was a huge Craigslist ad about it. They could get their degree as they taught. That would be the blind leading the blind. Not to mention their makeup classes are between 1300 and 2600 dollars.

Why spend the money on a second rate school? Just get the education you need and deserve from the start. I guess if you are already enrolled, you don't have many options though. Though I am not sure that school is any different than the matchboxes after reading that ad.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to adaisyandarose

This is the ad mentioned above.

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas)
Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT
Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Part time instructor position

Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee.

About Med Workshops

Med Workshops is an online Medical Transcription placement school. We provide home-based medical transcription training to students from all over the nation. All of our students study at home in order to be placed in a Work-from-Home Job in Medical Transcription. We place 100% of our graduates in home-based jobs. All of our students have their own online instructor; a trained instructor who can always be reached by email or phone.

We are looking for the right person who would like to train to be an online instructor in the Denver area. We need instructors in all time zones and areas to maintain our high standard of training and student support.

Qualifications for immediate employment:

High School Diploma

Organizational talent

Good communication skills

At least 1 year of experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel and proof of expertise

You’ll need your own computer and high speed internet connection.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY--- A high degree of patience and empathy in student support!

About Hiring Opportunities:

- We will train you and you start as a student representative/instructor

- All advancements are contingent upon growing with and advancing beyond your individual intern level

- You will also receive a free medical transcription education from our school if you pass our internship period and;

- Show that you diligently work with students and graduates of our training and guaranteed placement program

Duties include:

• Grading tests
• Answering student questions
• Contacting students by email or phone
• Sending handouts and quizzes by email
• Learning how to post in our student forum
• Speaking with applicants prior to enrolling
• Organizing and distributing Outlook mailing lists
• Organizing student records in Word, Excel and Outlook

Advancement opportunities

1. Promotions

2. Job Security in the medical and education fields

3. Advancement to a Master Instructor Position as a trained Medical Transcriptionist

To apply copy this phrase to your Google, Yahoo, AOL or Bing browser -

"Online Medical Transcription Training and Med Workshops"

then click SEARCH. You will find us quickly this way.

Go to our "Contact" web page scroll down to Employment- use our contact email address to email your resume to us.

PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS. CALLING WILL DISQUALIFY YOU!

Thanks from our personel department.

* Compensation: $1200 per month for part time
* Telecommuting is ok.
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you for the info, adaisyandarose!

This ad will disappear if you login