Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Registered WAHM

Lightbulb Way with words Britney & Justin transcription test

Hello there

I passed the first (and very difficult) part of the Way with words test and they now sent me the link to the Britney and Justin transcription. I remember that I also tried this a couple of years back but that my attempt was rejected. Is there anyone out there that has passed this test and have some tips?

Thanks,
Heidi
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sadie1Lady1

Not me. I passed all the stuff for the first 2 or 3 sections and then they said I didn't pass the last test. She said :I found you had transcribed some of the sound file extremely well, but then at other times you did not manage to make out what was being said, and there were just too many words which you did not transcribe correctly".

Sorry I can't be of more help. They don't give you back your corrected test file either so I don't know any more than that.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Where can take test?

Never heard of this place ... would you be able to share their website/link with us? I'd like to check it out and see what it is all about ... are the tests hard? How many tests? Can you tell us any more about hours? Pay? Qualifications? Or is all that on their website? Thank-you.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Awesome WAHM

It's Way With Words and yes, their testing process does seem to be a little more rigorous than regular transcription testing. I understand the pay is pretty good.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
WAHM Regular

I started working for WayWithWords a couple of months ago. I found the Britney and Justin thing pretty easy, but then I'm a transplanted Brit, so the accents weren't a problem for me.

If you're having problems with the accents, you might want to remember that WWW is a UK/SA company, so you're going to be facing a LOT of British and South African accents when you start to work for them.

Their training is much more rigorous than any other transcription company I've worked for. They're very strict on their do's and don't's and you have to adhere very stringently to their way of doing things - which, if you're used to working for US-based transcription companies, might not be the way you're used to doing things. In fact, my monitor is festooned with sticky notes to remind me when I do transcripts for them.

On the plus side, the people working there, the trainers and allocators, are among the nicest people I've met in this business. They always seem to have work, which is a huge difference to many of the other companies I work for, so I'm not wasting half a day sitting around waiting for an allocator to grace me with a file.

There are minuses also. For non-Brits, I already mentioned the accents (and some of them are pretty regional British accents which could really be a problem). They pay by the hour at the rate of $7.50, and the amount you get is dependent upon the type of audio. For good, clear audio you're paid at a ratio of 4:1 hour of audio. So if you do an hour long file, you get paid four hours. More difficult audio can be as high as 6:1.

It sounds great, and it usually is. But this week, I had to do a file which was paid at 4:1 because of the audio, which was great. BUT it was a verbatim transcript. Tons of repeated words, ums and ahs, switching back and forth in midsentence between the interviewer and the interviewee. And it probably wound up taking me a lot more than four hours to work it, even though the audio was good. And I'm thinking, if I were typing this for a per word company, I'd probably be making more money than this!

You also have to be prepared to start your day pretty early in the morning, as the allocators are South African-based. That means that by noon here in WA, it's already 10pm in SA. I can usually find an allocator until about noon or 1pm, but after that, they're finished for the day.

So although I would probably make more money working for a company like Ubiqus, for example, who pay per word; I've found myself doing more and more work for WWW just because the audio is consistently excellent, the people are much nicer, and the work is constantly available. They even have what they call an Early Bird option on their extranet where a transcriber can download files without being allocated them, which they tailor to an individual typist's abilities. So as a beginner with their company, the only files on the EB system are the really easy audio.

If you're lucky enough to get chosen to work for them, it's a really great company to work for.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

Wow, that is a lot of awesome info on WWW.

So, in essence, you make anywhere from $30 per audio hour to $45 per audio hour no matter how long it takes you, based on the ratios you stated above?

Do you ever finish your files before your alloted ratio time is up, thereby essentially increasing your pay?

Thank you so much for that. I'm sure it will help a lot of us.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
WAHM Regular

I find that the quality of their audio has been so outstanding up to this point that I'm coming in under the four hours of allotted time quite frequently. And as I become more used to their way of doing things, the time spent proofing is lessening also.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks for your posts, Rachiegoth. Your input is very helpful. I take on board all you say about why you like working with this company and that you acknowledge you could earn more elsewhere.

I know absolutely nothing about this company so I make only a general comment on rates.

$30 per audio hour is far too low, no matter how the figures are worked out.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm right there with you, Alba. The rates are low, and if I didn't like the company and the availability of work so much I would probably just work with the other companies I work for.

But I know that previous to working with them, I would be waiting all day for work and having to do Quicktate in the meantime in the hope that one of the other companies threw me a bone. And quite often the work that I DO get from the other companies is migraine-inducing in its poor quality audio.

So the moral is that until I can find a company which gives me well-paying work on a CONSISTENT basis, I'm quite happy to fill in the time with WWW. Sorry if I made it sound a bit Shangri-la-ish. I'd have to work round the clock to make a living at it if it were my only income source. It's not. But it's a great place with nice people and their audio files are like soothing balm to my aggravated ears more often than not
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Awesome WAHM

As far as I'm concerned, money isn't the only thing. You also have to happy with the company you work for and the jobs that you are given, and it sounds like you are very happy where you are. So stick with it, no matter what anyone else tries to tell you.

Good luck. Glad you found something you like.

This ad will disappear if you login