Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered WAHM

Anyone have any info on Tigerfish? I did a search and found some posts back in 2004, but just wanted to see if anyone is employed with them now. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Super WAHM

I know this post is from last year, and I'm sorry if necrobumpage is no-no here, but I was also curious to know if anyone was currently working with this company.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
WAHM Regular

Lol...I have never heard "necrobumpage" before. I like it! But, in all seriousness, I would like to hear from people who work for Tigerfish also.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I applied with them I think some time last year. I took the test they wanted you to type and everything and never heard a mumbling word back from them. So, I'd be curious if anyone has actually worked/work for them also.</font>
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi folks,

I love working for Tigerfish. I've been transcribing for them since 2006, mostly during the summers. Very flexible. On most jobs, you have 3-4 days to get the work done. They pay per hour of work on each job. And they often offer time and a half for Rush work (usually due back same day or early next morning). I've found the work very interesting, too (an added bonus). They have a very nice range of clients - from educational institutions to arts groups to businesses, authors, etc.

I think the most important key to getting hired by them is to take their test and their guidelines seriously -- they are very concerned about accuracy, so take the time to do the test right, following their guidelines on formatting, etc. Go over your transcript and make corrections before you submit it. They also ask for personal information about you -- your education, personal interests, etc. I think they are looking for people not only with good listening/typing skills, but with a broad range of interests (you know, literature, the arts, sciences, as well as business, etc.) and education levels.

f you do well on the test, they will contact you when/if they are in a hiring period. Not sure how often that happens, but it does happen, and they're a good company to work for. Good luck.

Edited by: CairnT
Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
WAHM Regular

How does the work come in? I need to be able to pick up work at any moment I have free time from my current scheduled transcription company. I would apply again with Tigerfish if they don't assign the work to you, but I've never been able to find this answer.

~Erin B.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
WAHM Regular

Reinbeast, sorry to be so long in getting back to you.

Does Tigerfish ASSIGN work? Sort of -- but there's lots of flexibility and lead time for a regular job, and you can decline any job they offer. So a job isn't really assigned until you accept it.

For a regular job, you receive an individual email with a description of the job (type of job; length and quality of audio, due date - usually 3-4 days later), and you simply REPLY if you want it, or send a DECLINE message if you don't want it (in which case they simply reassign).

I would think that even with your other job you could plan in advance
to get some work done for
TF over a period of 3-4 days.

For Rush work (usually due within 24 hours), the work is not assigned to an individual. Rather, a general email goes out and you reply by email if you can take some or all of it. They'll let you know pretty quickly if it's yours, and as with any job, your audio is posted for download once it's assigned.

The appeal of rush work is that it pays at a higher rate -- 1.5 your regular pay. The downside - aside from the shorter timeframe, is that it's assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and you can never predict when the calls for Rush work go out. So if you're not checking your email when the call goes out, you're not likely to get it.

I hope that answers your questions, Erin. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to continue the discussion.

Edited by: CairnT
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi, CairnT! I've tried for transcription jobs in the past and failed. I think the problem was not knowing how to format the text. Does TF tell you how they want it done?

Thanks,

Blinky
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes, all the instructions are at this site:
http://www.tigerfish.com/employment.html

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
WAHM Addict

Thanks a bunch!

Blinky

This ad will disappear if you login