Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Transcription Services & Scopists

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered WAHM

I have been looking into scoping for awhile. I kept noticing there were only 3 main schools that offered scopist training. Recently I have learned of another and thought I would share that information. It is called Baton Rouge School of Court Reporting and is also entirely completed online. I don't know if I am allowed to post their web address here but if you type the school name in google then you shouldn't have any problem finding it. The school was very quick to respond to my questions and offered me a free guest pass to check out the program. In addition to offering court reporting and cart/captioning, it offers scopist training. I believe they informed me that you have a total of four instructors throughout the course teaching theory, english, medical and legal terminology along with practical applications and technology. They train you on the student version of the eclipse software and provide you with marketing techniques (they even mentioned that they do provide leads they receive to their students and provide a list of their graduates to their colleagues). The course is laid out with presentations that guide you through each chapter of the courses with graded assignments, quizzes, exams and such along the way to constantly monitor your progress and it appears that they will be very involved in training. It is set up in semesters and laid out to take about six months to complete. When I asked if the course could be completed quicker they assured me that it could be completed at your own pace and you could work through it as quickly as you like. The pricing is very competitive (if not cheaper) and you pay per course as you take it. They do encourage 4 courses at a time but it is up to the student on how many courses they wish to take - or at least that is how I understood it. I was very pleased with what I viewed of the course. I don't know if it is standard for them to give a free peek at the course but it is another alternative online scopist training that would definitely be worth checking out if you are in the process of deciding on a school. I should probably point out that they are an on-site physical school as well, meaning that they operate an actual school for a living. I was informed that two of the instructors were court reporters, one was a lawyer and another was somehow involved in the pharmacy field (don't recall his exact position) along with having an extensive knowledge in technology and computers. I didn't ask if the scopist courses could later be used toward the other programs but it may say on their website - I did find the webiste a little overwhelming with information but noticed that inside the student area, it was very well organized and laid out and easy to navigate. I was very excited to find this program and just wanted to share the information with anyone else who is looking into this field and trying to figure out what training to go with. (And, NO, I do not work for the school or know anyone from the school! I just ran across the website recently and was very excited about how thorough and complete the program appears.)Edited by: FunMom
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the info. Gives yet another option to people. According to the web site, tuition is $1,800 (for the scopist program)and you pay per class.

I would want to talk with students that have completed the course and are working as scopists before making a decision.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to TrinaC

Thank you FunMom for the info. I will request a guest pass as well.

This ad will disappear if you login