Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Gifts, Baskets, Home Goods and More > Thirty-One Gifts

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Questions about joining 31

Hello! I am glad I happened upon this forum. I have been thinking of joining as a consultant and have lots of questions. I hope someone can help me to make my decision.

1. If you personalize the starter kit how long does it take to get it?

2. What is the cost of the consultant website monthly and what does this service include? It doesn't look like it has a lot of features to be honest.

3. What if my upline person quits, do I then go under someone else or am I an orphan?

4. What is the policy for cash and carry and selling current or discontinued product online (ebay, craigs, etc)

5. What is the advertising policy? Use of logo?

6. Can someone explain the career/reimbursement plan?

7. Minimums? 200 quarterly or rolling?

8. How often are items discontinued and new product releases? Quarterly, yearly?

9. Catalogs? There are 3 current, right? So I would have to purchase 3 separate catalogs for each season?

10. I noticed there are issues with the HO not updating the customer website very often and it is very slow to load. Is there an issue with this and how does this affect your business?

11. Is there an internal website for consultants only? What does it feature? Forum, coaching, etc

12. Does this company do a good job of listening to consultant's concerns and make changes and improvements as needed?

13. Is the shipping timely? I heard one friend say it took her a long time to get her product so I didn't personalize when I placed an order once.

Anything else I should know? I realize not every company is perfect and every company has challenges with product trends, economy, changes, etc so I am prepared to go with the flow. I just wanted some more info so I understand the company's business better before I make my decision.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Registered WAHM

14. Can customers order online from the consultant's website with earning commissions? I couldn't find anything.

15. What about the locator? Do all consultants get to be on the locator or is there a certain sales or career level required? I think it's strange that a person can't search by location; they already have to know their name or ID number.

16. What is the cost of business supplies? What is available for purchase?

17. When new product is released for a new catalog, is there a new kit available for consultants for demonstration?

Ok I think that's all I can think of for now. hehe.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to akerr1117

I'm going to answer these line by line

1. If you personalize the starter kit how long does it take to get it?
It will take a few more days than the $99. They have the $99 embroidered and ready to go out the door within a couple of days. My personal recommendation to my girls is do the $99 kit and then spend the extra $50 buying extra pieces for your kit - then you get what you want plus the commission and sales credit

2. What is the cost of the consultant website monthly and what does this service include? It doesn't look like it has a lot of features to be honest.
The website and e-newsletter are free for the 1st 3 months but you can earn it free for an additional year by hitting your Start Swell new consultant incentives. Otherwise it is $9.95/mo for the website and the e-newsletter is $3.

3. What if my upline person quits, do I then go under someone else or am I an orphan?
You would roll up to the person above your upline.

4. What is the policy for cash and carry and selling current or discontinued product online (ebay, craigs, etc)
There is no policy - we are pretty much free to sell the items as we want

5. What is the advertising policy? Use of logo?
No real policy here either.

6. Can someone explain the career/reimbursement plan?
In short. You get 25% commission on yourself to start. With 2 qualified consultants you become a Sr. Consultant and begin earning 2% commission on them. With 4 qualified consultants and sales requirement you become a director and begin earning 28% on yourself and 3% on your downline. You can also earn a $1000 bonus as a Director. The percentages increase from there.

7. Minimums? 200 quarterly or rolling?
Rolling 2 month period. So if you did $100 in Dec. and $50 in Jan. then you would need to do at least $50 by the end of Feb. to stay active. This can be from individual or party sales.

8. How often are items discontinued and new product releases? Quarterly, yearly?
Each catalog new items are discontinued. Not all items just some and they are replaced with new items!

9. Catalogs? There are 3 current, right? So I would have to purchase 3 separate catalogs for each season?
The 31Kid catalog ends on March 31 and the Direction (teen) catalog ends May 31. The new Spring/Summer catalog incorporates those 2 catalogs in it. Going forward there will only be 1 catalog. But yes for the moment there are 3 catalogs.

10. I noticed there are issues with the HO not updating the customer website very often and it is very slow to load. Is there an issue with this and how does this affect your business?
It is fixed now. When the new catalog started on Feb. 1 they had to do many updates to the website and it took a couple of days. Every catalog change they change the look of the website to correspond to the look of the new catalog.

11. Is there an internal website for consultants only? What does it feature? Forum, coaching, etc
Yes. There are lots of reference and training materials - both audio, video and written. There is no forum on there at this time.
12. Does this company do a good job of listening to consultant's concerns and make changes and improvements as needed?
Yes. Prime example of this is going from 3 catalogs to one. Everyone loved the teen and kid lines but 3 catalogs was too much - for consultants and customers. So they are combining it in to one based on our feedback as well as customer feedback! They definitely listen.

13. Is the shipping timely? I heard one friend say it took her a long time to get her product so I didn't personalize when I placed an order once.
At certain times of the year, shipping can take longer than others (such as at the holidays). Generally shipping is very timely. Company recommends telling customers 2-3 weeks to be safe.

14. Can customers order online from the consultant's website with earning commissions? I couldn't find anything.
Yep!! They place the order and you don't do anything. You will just see the sales credit. They can also order online and have it apply to a hostess' party.

15. What about the locator? Do all consultants get to be on the locator or is there a certain sales or career level required? I think it's strange that a person can't search by location; they already have to know their name or ID number.
The "locator" is done randomly. You have to be a senior consultant or above to get leads. Plus there is a sales and recruiting requirement too. Depending on your level you will qualify for more leads. I believe the purpose of this is if only Sr. Cons. and above are receiving the leads the person requesting the info can be assured they are getting someone who is really working the business and not someone who is almost inactive, etc.

16. What is the cost of business supplies? What is available for purchase?
Business supplies vary but are very reasonably priced. They have catalogs, business cards, wrought iron stand, pens, mini totes, printed materials, etc. Way too much to name.

17. When new product is released for a new catalog, is there a new kit available for consultants for demonstration?
It is called an "add-on" kit and there is usually 2 of them. This catalog changeover we had the option to earn the kit thru sales in January as well as purchase.

You will find out from everyone on there that they love this company and the many freedoms they allow us. For those of us that have worked for other direct sales companies this is a huge plus. There is so much room for growth and opportunity because it is such a young company.

Where are you located? I'd be happy to tell you how many consultants are in your state. Please let mek now if you would like any more additional information.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered WAHM

Thumbs down Not impressed with Thirty-One - no thanks

I was pretty excited about selling the product but after seeing their lack of strong business model I am not impressed.

New company going through growing pains is my impression. They need to get their business information secure and not put all their files in the
"image" file so everyone can read them publicly and it stays on the net forever in searches. Internal information should be kept internal and they don't have that figured out yet what is proprietary and what is not. Lol. Nor do some of their consultants who post passwords to their "consultant only" website right there on the net for the world (and competitors) to see.

Thinking about joining

No legal or compliance department obviously. I read through the consultant agreement and clearly this is being broken everywhere. haha
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to akerr1117

Scrappy,

I have brought this to the attention of our HO because I do not think this is allowed. They are probably not aware of it because I know I wasn't.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered WAHM

Home office?? Hahah one of the people posting this information is doing it on her own Home Office Team website. I watched some of her team videos, checked out people's sales amounts, got lots of coaching tips.

I hope for Thirty-One's sake this is taken care of and monitored in the future. If people want a team website it should be password protected only. Why would a Senior Exec Dir do this? It doesn't make any sense. They all need a time out in the corner or a legal warning letter in writing. That's what would happen with my previous DS company. One written legal letter from compliance and if they continued to mess up they took their consultant priviledge away. I knew someone on my upline's team that had to quit because she got caught selling on Ebay. It can be proven.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Scrappy~

I can understand your skepticism...however, be careful at pre-judging a company based on the things you have mentioned. About 9 years ago, I started my business with a company similar in age to Thirty-One Gifts. This company was built on little or no money and wasn't a "slick" business machine like to you see so many companies today...However, what this company did have was a dynamic founder that everyone believed in and who knew how to lead a company. Having had the fortune of building a sizeable team with the other company, I saw us go through growing pains that most don't have to deal with today...our slogan was "we reserve the right to get smarter". And you know what, we did. We went from boring 2-color packaging and catalogs to beautiful photography on our packaging...conferences went from 50 people in a room with a sound system that sometimes worked to unbelieveable events. Year after year, it was amazing to see the kind of growth we made...All while being able to stay debt-free. Did we, as Team Mentors, etc., get frustrated at times...yes we did...but, we also had a part in helping to build an amazing company so that many others can enjoy success in their business today.

4 years ago, due to burn-out and letting my prior direct sales business run me (lessons learned), I left. I went into real estate but quickly began to miss the comradarie and the opportunties that direct sales gave me and my family. Trust me when I say, I've seen the slick machines...in fact, I've been brought into some of these companies as a "direct" due to my prior success to help grow their savvy business models...but you know what...they lack heart. Thirty-One has heart and may be a diamond in the rough, but I don't want the slick business model right now. I'm okay with rough around the edges, because that tells me exciting things are coming our way based on my prior experience.

Please be respectful of those of us who love this company and what it stands for. I certainly respect your right to express your opinion, however...if you truly were that interested in our business, you should have looked a lot deeper to understand where Cindy Monroe has been and what she has gone though to build her six-year old company...Most "slick" direct sales companies won't even be on the map in three years.

Last edited by gifts4u; 02-16-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Registered WAHM

Terri,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I can see how this may be taken as an attack on the founder Cindy and it certainly was not meant to be. Perhaps I was a little harsh.

Consultants do count on this company as their income, and if there are leaks of company information and intellectual property, it hurts consultants and the company bottom line.

Copyright: Typically most companies will place Copyright on their company publications and state directly that this information may not be copied without notice. Often they will clarify what can and cannot be copied by consultants to be used for training purposes for other consultants, but they usually state that this information is NOT to be used for the general public, customers, etc without their specific permission.
For example, the monthly special flyers are copyright protected, but consultants would have persmission to reprint and share with customers.

Reproduction in entirety or in part of a Consultant Manual, Product Guide, consultant only newsletter, or other Thirty-One publications should be prohibited. Providing detailed information regarding the information found in these publications should also be prohibited. Consultants may be permitted to share highlights of this information, but are encouraged to refrain from posting detailed information on the Internet. Rather, such information should be reserved for one-on-one discussions with interested parties. Consultants can sometimes post material from the company's publications on their downline training web sites as long as it is password protected. Consultants should not post files, or links to files, of material contained solely on the password protected Consultant Only Web Site intended for consultant preview or use on any public web site.

Thirty-One training and coaching videos and materials that are intended for consultants should not be posted publicly, only internal or password protected. Sharing sales stats, consultant ID #'s along with their names in a large Excel file for someone to download publicly should be a NO NO! Other companies may want to (and are) contact these people to recruit them to their sales team. Sharing with the competion too much business information is just not smart. Sorry, but I don't care if you are the nicest person in the world. If you want your business to keep going, you just don't put everything out there for the world the see.

There was one Thirty-One team website that I found that had it password protected. They are smart!! Why do you want to share your secrets with other direct sales companies and help them to succeed? There is only so much money to go around and you want them to be purchasing your product, not having a blast and recruiting with the competition.

Those of you consultants on this website that are freely discussing Thirty-One business in this public forum, I hope you think twice now about what you are saying. The competition is here, lurking, learning because of you.

I do hope that for the sake of her company, Thirty-One, those that love the company will make some needed suggestions to protect the proprietary information of Thirty-One business, which will ultimately ensure that thousands of consultants' businesses will remain viable.

Good luck to the Thirty-One consultants and wishing you success!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Thirty one is easy to join

Thirty one makes it easy to join and there is a huge support system for direct sellers to be successful. I really love working at thirty one. The friendships I've made are great and everyone is a joy to work with.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered WAHM

I heard you're not allowed to promote on Facebook or host Social Media party? Is that true?

This ad will disappear if you login