Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Professions > Telecommuting Moms

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via AIM to 2preciouskidz Send a message via Yahoo to 2preciouskidz
Question Anyone worked with Sutherland Global?

I applied (tech. support I position) with Sutherland Global and wanted to know how is the overall work experience you may have had or are currently experiencing with them. I received an email stating that they are not hiring at this moment but they will soon and to complete a questionaire that could speed up the hiring process. I'm going to do so, I just haven't seen any post on this WAH company?

I also have a scheduled interview with TeleTech Friday. Wish me luck, since I haven't had any luck finding anything after my last wah position.... One of them has to pull through I need this income bad!!

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Super WAHM

(Just an FYI) You won't be able to work both of them. Sutherland has a non-compete clause.

Your question though has been asked here recently, and should be within the first few pages here.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Man oh man, do I have some talk about Sutherland.....

Sutherland is a very good company to work for BUT they're training method and software will literally drive you INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have brand new Compaq computer and I had problems with they're software. Okay here we go:

Training is all reading.. yes all reading, I'm not exaggerating. I personally did not train for the Tech position but the Sales position, so I have no clue on how long the training is but mine was 3 weeks. I'm just going to explain my training so you can understand what you'll probably be going through for the next couple of weeks...

My training session had a minimum of around 60 something courses. Within those 60 something courses were mini topics. So let's say that your trainer tells you that you need to do courses 1-20 beginning on Monday and finished by the next Monday. And just so you know, we had to do courses 1-26 so I'm being very nice. Okay, when you open up course 1, course 1 may have 6 topics to cover...in just that one course. Each topic can range from 10 minutes to 2 hours EACH..remember that's just course 1 and you have 19 to go. So if you have 6 topics in course 1, all at an average of 1 hour, that's 6 hours you have spent on course 1. So let's say all the lessons have a minimum of 6 topics...which normally they have a little more... but let's say the 20 courses you must do in one week have a minimum of 6 topics in each them, all 1 hour each... thats a total of 120 topics and 120 hours you must complete for that week. Now some of the topics may not take that long because some did say that they were an hour and it didn't take me that long to complete them... but on average, it's pretty accurate. Now remember, theres only 168 hours in a week.... you do the rest of the calculation and I promise, I am not exaggerating. I'm actually being really, really nice about everything.

None of the training is interactive.....its alllllllllll reading. You may have one or two short simulations but I promise you 90% of it is just reading... Every week, after you have read all that stuff, you get a nice little test just to make sure you read... hee hee.

Okay with the software.. have you ever worked for a brick-and-mortar company that had Internet restrictions?? Meaning you go to a certain site on the Internet while at work and it tells you that the company has restricted that site, blah, blah, blah. This is exactly what Sutherlands software do. When you log onto they're system, you can NOT access sites like yahoo, gmail, google, etc. They're software completely takes over your computer and you will even have a different desktop. I have Vista on my computer. When I log into they're system it gave me a XP desktop, no lie. You will be able to minimize they're desktop and go to yours but even if you click the Internet button on YOUR desktop, it will give you that message that you can not access certain pages. Therefore, when working with them, you can not access NO other site!! So it completely takes over and control your computer and it makes you feel like your actually at the company working, rather than at home. Also, you probably have a free email account but once you get the software downloaded, they will give you a email address (yourname@suth.com). You will use the Outlook on they're desk top, to communicate with them.

I had sooo many computer problems that I could not believe it. I constantly stayed on the phone with Tech Support and Tech Support had to remotely log into my computer and upload stuff. They're software is a MONSTER. It is huge!!!!! More than likely you will be toggling between at least 4 different screens when assisting customers.... that's a bare minimum.

Those two issues would prevent me from ever applying or training with them again. Training is paid. You're an employee and not a contractor. So you will get benefits such as health, medical leave, etc.

If you can get through the training and all of the tech stuff, you got it... I got through the training and tech stuff and was too exhausted to continue... it had wore my brain down tooo much. I felt as though I was going to loose it.. I had to quit... but it may be different for you. I wish someone would have told me all of this stuff and I would have NEVER applied to work with them.

I actually got an interview with TeleTech in the morning... hopefully this is not the same way!!!!

Last edited by SmartChic; 08-12-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: clerical error
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Awesome WAHM

Send a message via Yahoo to khakigirl Send a message via Skype™ to khakigirl

SmartChic, if training is paid, do they really pay you for the 120 hours of work or is it a flat rate or what?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Khakigirl--

This is a W-2 job--you are paid for the entire training period at the hourly rate for the position.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Awesome WAHM

That sounds great! Do they have a timer on their software that shows how long you were working on the training for payment purposes?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 AM
WAHM Fanatic

In response to Khakigirl...Nope, we were only paid for 40 hours each week.. I don't know about the tech position, I can just tell you about my experience, which was the sales.

But, before actually doing the training I would specifically ask the manager does the training courses exceed the 40 hours per week because you don't want to work for nothing. In my case I did... every week. I was up all night!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartChic View Post
In response to Khakigirl...Nope, we were only paid for 40 hours each week.. I don't know about the tech position, I can just tell you about my experience, which was the sales.

But, before actually doing the training I would specifically ask the manager does the training courses exceed the 40 hours per week because you don't want to work for nothing. In my case I did... every week. I was up all night!!!
Um...couldn't you have reported them for making you work without pay? That's definitely illegal.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Didn't think about that at the time but that's good that you brought it up... It wasn't a concern at the time. At the time I was just glad to be getting paid for my efforts since many companies did not pay you for training. I know that's bad to say but before I knew better, that is what I thought.

However, if you get into training, count the courses then count the time behind it.. it won't add up to 120 hours for 3 weeks. At least mine didn't. If I was you, I would consider bringing this up in training.. not as something that you necessary believe but as a concern and just see what they say.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered WAHM

Now my experience has been totally opposite. I am training for tech support, we have two weeks training. half of the training is reading and the other half is web conference. We get paid for 8 hours a day and it has never taken that long for me at all, some days were only like 4-5 hours. I finish training this week and so far so good. So i guess it depends on what position and what company u will be taking care of. And we were told not to work over 40 hours at all, and if we needed to, we should contact them first to see if it was possible, but far as i know noone has needed it. I missed a whole day due to tech issues that the previous poster said, but was finally resolved and i still got paid for that day, and did that days work the next day without any problems. Now im sure tomorrow i will use the full 8 hours as i think we have to take an exam the last day and want to make sure i know it all, so far everyone has been really nice and helpful.

This ad will disappear if you login