Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Telecommuting

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered WAHM

Question Has anyone worked for Apple - At Home Advisor?

I am just wanting to know how they will handle me working with a baby at home. She is 9 months, and the reason for me wanting to work from home. Therefore, she will be with me while I work for home, and could occasionally interrupt. I have my second interview scheduled for Monday. I am interested in the Part-time AHA position. Does anyone have any experience working for Apple? They know that I have a baby at home, so I am just wondering if they will be flexible with the work times. I'm sure I won't be able to sit down for 4 hours straight without having to feed or diaper the baby. The weekend shift I'm not concerned about because the hubby will be home. Anyone know how they handle their scheduled shifts??
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspears01 View Post
I am just wanting to know how they will handle me working with a baby at home. She is 9 months, and the reason for me wanting to work from home. Therefore, she will be with me while I work for home, and could occasionally interrupt. I have my second interview scheduled for Monday. I am interested in the Part-time AHA position. Does anyone have any experience working for Apple? They know that I have a baby at home, so I am just wondering if they will be flexible with the work times. I'm sure I won't be able to sit down for 4 hours straight without having to feed or diaper the baby. The weekend shift I'm not concerned about because the hubby will be home. Anyone know how they handle their scheduled shifts??
Don't have experience with them but sent in an application for a similar position. How long did it take for them to contact you and how did they do so? Congratulations by the way!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered WAHM

I heard back from them within the week, but I have lots of IT experience. Actually overqualified for the position, but I'm willing to take a pay cut to be home with the little one. I feel very fortunate for my opportunity. Just hoping I can still perform the job duties while taking care of my baby girl.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered WAHM

I went online and read the positon. It does not sound too flexible. 6 weeks of training on a fixed schedule and it does not sound like you can choose your hours. Sounds like you will be needing daycare. Maybe they will let you work at night when your child is alseep. But, again it did not sound like you can choose your own hours. Arise let you work in 30 min increments. You may want to check them. However, Arise is an investment and there are start cost. But, you will have more freedom.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspears01 View Post
This isn't really something you can do with a baby at home without someone else caring for the baby/child. This job is just like you are working in the actual office, except you are doing it at home. Training is full-time. Your regular work schedule will be given to you by the company as you get near the end of training. It will be a set schedule, but you will not have any input as to your schedule, it is generated based on the company needs. You will be expected to be at your desk with NO background noise, or interruptions, ready to take calls for your entire shift, with the exception of scheduled breaks or lunches.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Super WAHM

Default Apple AHA Job

jlspears...congratulations on your new baby and the interview with Apple. Sounds like a great job. Unfortunately, it will be next to impossible to work this job with a baby. You can't work around the hours and sounds like you still need time to tend to you baby's needs. This is a hard situation. Can you perhaps hire a babysitter to come in your home and take care of the baby while you attend training and eventually work? Even if your baby's room is located in a different space than your home office, if you can hear them crying...I am sure the customers will be able to also. And if you need to feed/change your baby and it is not your break/lunch...that will be difficult.

Hopefully, you can hire a sitter (maybe an elderly person) who can come into your home and watch the baby while you work. An elderly person may do this just to have something to do and may actually babysit for minimum pay.

Hope you are able to work something out.

AllieWhitt
Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Registered WAHM

I worked for them for almost 2 yrs. I can give you the good, the bad and the ugly. I hope this helps any looking at this job seriously.

The good:
Great benefits for part time. Honestly they were better than my husband's benefits but since I was secondary, we didn't really get much out of it. I blame how insurance companies work vs the benefits. If this had been our primary ins. it would have been awesome.

Working from home is a huge perk. I saved tons of money in gas and the hassles of a commute. Big snow storm outside? No problem.

Discounts on products.

Nothing makes people swoon more than saying you work for Apple and even more so when you say its corporate and you dont work at the retail store.

You are supplied everything you need. You are given a iMac, phone and headset. You are given 50 dollars per month for internet and phone line. Honestly, this only paid for my phone line but I was okay with it since I wouldnt live without internet anyway.

You wrack up vacation time quickly and you get sick time for yourself and family members.

The Bad:
This is a call center job. Now if you dont mind this kind of work then you already know what it entails. I actually did not. There is a huge vagueness on info when getting hired in. If you ask point blank questions, you get vague answers. I asked the interviewer point blank if this was a call center job and I was told no, its a support line. You help customers. So I felt a little duped when I started training and learned it was indeed a call center job. Okay, let me specify, it is a PAID support line. A lot of people dont know this so when they call in, you tell them. They are no happy. "I dont want to pay for help!!!!" By that time I was invested and didnt want to up and quit. Some people did the first day so I know I wasnt the only one that got duped.

There is a 4 week training that is full time. It is intense. You have to pass a test every week and if you dont, you are out. Right away there is a lot of pressure. You start wanting it because all of a sudden everything is so competitive. You dont want to be that person that doesnt make it and some dont. The training has very little to do with tech savviness. You are trained on how to talk to customers and lots of role playing. I have a degree in sociology, I know how to talk to people. I used to be a counselor. I wanted more insight on how to troubleshoot the products. If you say that, you are then told that is what the discount is for. They encourage to buy your own stuff so you can learn. I am pretty tech savvy but I didnt own every apple product at the time.

Metrics. Its all about the metrics and I had heard this stuff before about call center jobs and the reason I had asked in my interview. I knew it wasnt something I was big on. I stayed with the job because it was so nice working from home but maintaining the metrics is a huge stressor. I can honestly say the job was probably one of the most stressful I have ever had and I used to counsel drug addicts and felons! You are only supposed to be on the phone for a short period of time. Also most customers get surveys. You have to get a 100% on every survey. If you get a bad one (and you will) it drops your stats so low that it takes 5 good surveys to make up for that one bad. The bar is set so high that its mentally exhausting trying to meet everything.

Extreme multi tasking. You have articles to look up to help people with their issue. Well there are thousands upon thousands. After a few months you do learn off the top of your head how to fix something because people will call in about the same thing over and over again but many call in about stuff you have never heard of in your life. People do the craziest stuff to their phones or ipods.

The schedules in general are pretty terrible. You work odd ball hours and are assigned shifts. You can trade with others but it can be a hassle. You are required to work Full time whenever they need you to. You are given two schedules your part time one and then the full time. So you could be on days with part time and then completely shift to nights on full time. days off change as well so if you plan something a month or so in the future you may not know if that will work out. Sometimes you are only given a day or two notice when you shift from part time to full time. You will work weekends and you will work every Christmas. It is mandatory. In fact, you work full time hours with mandatory OT during the holiday season. I generally worked 12 hrs a day during that time and Christmas day in my house was either put off before or after the holiday.

The Ugly
Well if you had read this far you probably have realized i think there is more bad than good with this job. This is my personal experience so take what you will from it. I found the job after time to be more stressful that it was worth. I started to rely on the income and that just made me more stressed out about my performance. The metrics are almost impossible to meet and i say almost because there are people that do it. I would say about 15%. Then there is the rest. Most people are average and not stars. The better you do on your metrics the better schedule you are assigned. The stars got weekends off and straight days. Very very few people. Promotions, raises etc everything is judged on your metrics. Everything is how you can do better. You meet your manager once a week and go over your metrics. Its a constant numbers thing. You spent too much time on the phone, bring that down. You got some bad surveys, fix that. When you get a bad survey, you role play with your manager on how you could of handled a call better. I actually got a bad survey from a customer that was ticked off by the hold music (yes Im serious). I figured this wasnt going to hurt me, well it does. My manager said I should have apologized for the hold time. Again, the whole you can do better even on things you cannot control.

Got an elderly person in your family that every jokes that cant use a VCR or DVD player (pick your device)? Well now imagine talking to that type of person through a major restore of their device in less then 12 minutes over the phone. Ya, it doesnt happen but you are told it can happen and it should. I had people that didnt know where to find the home button on their phones and it took us 20 min. to get that done.

Everyone is winging it including managers. You get several different answers from people on the same topic. Everyone is vague. When a new position opens up for a different dept. you are told there is an opening. Very little info is given out and so you are basically applying blindly to something not knowing if its really something you want. If you are offered it, it looks bad if you change your mind. I knew people that applied for a different job and hated it but felt stuck.

Everyone seems high on something. Wayy too happy and giddy. The company wants this attitude. Im a pretty low key person and not much of a showmanship type so I struggled with the happy happy stuff. I just wanted to do a good job.

Overall it wasnt for me even though I lasted almost 2 yrs. There is a high turn over rate. People leave all the time. The only advancement really is into management or a different call group.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to samrhett2 Send a message via Skype™ to samrhett2

Willow,
Thanks for the info. I first applied for this job through Kelly. I then read on here that Apple hires direct, and pays a lot more so I immediately applied through them. Dang if Kelly didn't call me yesterday to set up an interview. I hated to turn it down, but knowing that they pay almost nothing and reading what you have to say, I know I am not willing to do this job for $9.15 per hour. However, for the wage that I have seen people state that they got hired on for at Apple, I would have to take it even though it does not sound like my dream job.

I live in Pawleys Island, SC. A beautiful place to live, but no jobs. I mean no jobs! Tourism only. That pay for this area would be very hard to beat because I am a single mom of a teenager with no outside support. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
WAHM Fanatic

When I used to work for West (back when it was an IC position) they too, also allowed workers to schedule in shorter shifts allowing for a much more flexible schedule. To be honest, this position does not sound like it has the flexibility you are looking for with a baby (along with the mentioned stress of metrics and maintaining the needed stats)

I know it's easy to grab the first work at home job offered, but it is not the road I suggest at all. Use the interview process to your own advantage and make sure the position is a good fit for you and your skills BEFORE hiring on or starting training. Then if you think it won't work out the best, you can use your time more wisely looking for a better fitting position.

This really is not 'one size fits all' out here in our cyber world - there are lots of jobs and lots of applicants - it wouldn't make sense that this position would fit all who are looking for a work at home job. I really wish you and your baby the best in whatever you chose to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM
WAHM Regular

Lightbulb

I never knew Apple had at-home positions. Willow, thanks for sharing your experience - super informative! I'm curious about the pay - if anyone is willing to PM me what they know

This ad will disappear if you login