Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Candles > Scentsy

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered WAHM

Ok, so I love Scentsy. Don't get me wrong. I started selling Scentsy last November. I sent out 50+ invitations, additional email invites and told everyone in my neighborhood I knew about it. I was new to the neighborhood and STATE for that matter. Only 17 consultants in my statewhen I signed up! Perfect opportunity, right? WRONG! I am still in the hole! Not one person who came to my launch wanted to have a party. Everyone who did come, ordered. I have done a couple of my own parties since by going to my husband's work, etc... My parents had a home show when I went to visit and my dad did a basket party at his office. My mother-in-law had a party and NOT ONE PERSON came. I am so frustrated. I have had 2 fabulous parties the last two months with orders totaling (1)$400 and (2)over $800! But again, no bookings. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM!?! I don't want to askmy friendsto have parties...I am not pushy I guess. But I finally did ask 2 of my friends to please do a party and that is the only way I had the last 2. I have asked so many people and no one is interested. No one checks that they are interested in doing a show on their door prize slip, no one responds when I tell them I have a sign-up sheet for parties. How do I get people to book parties? I have emailed past customers with incentives--free warmers, % off their retail orders in addition to the hostess rewards..... I am almost ready to quit. No one wants to host or go to parties here. How can I get my sales to go up? Should I switch gears to just doing expos and internet sales? Please help! Edited by: annaheintz

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:49 AM
WAHM Regular

People I come across are very turned off by doing parties.

What I suggest is doing an open house instead. See if you can set up during a friends playdate, she can invite her kids friends and mom's over and they can do their thing and you can visit, too but have your stuff out and they can see that it's safe around kids.

Try these for a bit similar situations and then suggest playing games, etc and before you know it's 'parties'. I'm not sure what reasons you are given but a friend of mine though it would be lots of extra work on their part or THEY would be presenting. Explain it could be just a normal get together however, they want and you can just be there to answer questions if they have any.

Don't give up, there's lots of potential!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Don't give up! I'm also having a hard time booking home parties, so I've decided to focus on basket parties & I'm also working on a couple fundraisers. With basket parties, make it not sound like "hosting a party". Say "let me loan you a warmer & some scent sample for a week or so & take it to work", something along those lines so it doesn't even sound like a party. Even tell them they don't have to collect orders, just direct people to the website to order. Talk to local banks, real estate agents, salons, wherever you could put a sample warmer & business cards. Also, if you do do (he he...I said do do) a home party, make it look so simple. My "presentation" is literally 2 minutes, then I just let people start smelling. It's more of an open house than a typical home party & people appreciate that. When guests see a simple, easy to host party, they're more likely to want to host one themselves. Someone else also mentioned giving each guest an envelope with a secret prize inside (free car candle or bar or 10% off their order, even one with a free warmer) & tell them they can only open it if they book a party. I've heard this really works well. Don't give up. Just try different ideas. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 AM
WAHM Veteran

You've received some great advice. Many people on my team - self included - do not do home parties .. for a variety of reasons, mainly because "we don't roll that way around here" and that's why desk displays and basket parties work better. Sometimes vendor events can work in your favor but much of the time you won't get a return on your investment - so make sure you work the numbers before you commit to an event.

Click here to join the fun people who have LIKED us on Facebook
Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 PM
WAHM Addict

I agree with the basket parties. See if you can put your scent samples, a bar, a car candle, and a warmer and the paperworkin an easy to carry portable tote or something. Sometimes I don't include a warmer because it takes up a lot of room. You can show people that it's very simple to just take the tote with them to the office.

Kritsti I had to laugh at your little comment.

Look Good * Feel Good * Do Good
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 AM
WAHM Addict

Here is a thread with some ideas - http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=574254

Look Good * Feel Good * Do Good
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cwilson116

hello my name is cassandra
i am interested in knowing about how todo a basket party and what should be in these the baskets
Thanks in advance
cassandra
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
WAHM Veteran

Anna,

I reread your message again, and I understand that you're frustrated. A few things in your message stand out. You said: " How do I get people to book parties?" "I finally did ask 2 of my friends to please do a party"

You may not even be aware you're doing it, but your language suggests that you're desperate and that you need people to do you a favor. You really don't want a business of mercy bookings, and it's no surprise that others don't volunteer to host a party. What if if changed your wording ever so slightly so that you had something so fantastic you couldn't wait to share it with others? Wouldn't you do the same if you went to a great new restaurant or saw a wonderful movie? You would share it unconditionally with no expectation of return but in a manner that others would want to go do what exciting thing you offered up.

The other alternative is that you just may be in an area or within a circle where parties simply don't go over well. I know I sure am. I live in a town where Amway World headquarters is located and people are not the least bit open to hearing about any type of home sales business, let alone hosting a party. You may want to consider alternative sales methods rather than feeling like you're trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Click here to join the fun people who have LIKED us on Facebook
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to wahmse Send a message via Yahoo to wahmse

Hi, Anna,

I have been attending some free training, by Karen Phelps, who is a professional direct sales trainer. I have found her material to be very helpful. Her recent training was on summer survival bookings.

You can go to www.karenphelps.com and sign up for her newsletter to receive notices of free classes she offers. The next one is June 19th.

I did purchase her complete training series and while not completely through with it, I have found it very valuable.

If that isn't doable for you, definately try to catch her free teleconferences.

Bookings is something I could definately do better myself and one reason why I have been attending her classes, etc.

At least you are trying and it takes time to craft ourselves into super bookers. I have a friend, in another direct sales company, who could have a home show with 2 people attending and walk out with 5 bookings. She is a booking queen for sure.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:40 PM
WAHM Regular

I sat and listened to a Karen Phelps recording Friday, used her ideas last night while helping my new recruit. Her guests were my customers, her family and are hard to book. We set up a few gift for the hostess on top of what she is getting from Scentsy. We got 2 new bookings to get her started from the same ole crowd. I started using the extra gift idea and the Date Card and got 2 bookings on the dates that were on my card for next week. I really think I am going to look into her products more. Karen has some great ideas.

This ad will disappear if you login