Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Pet Talk

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default Do you make your own pet food?

Just wondering how many people make their own pet food as opposed to buying commercial pet food?
We feed our dog a raw diet of chicken frames + add mineral supplements, plus she also has one cup of premium quality dry food each day. She seems to be thriving on this, and I believe that good health comes from the inside out. I would love to make her dry food myself, but I simply don't have time in the day to be baking dog food.
My cats are also fed raw minced chicken frames, raw beef and lamb mince, and premium dry food.
Would love to hear what others feed their pets?

Dinner Time for Kittens:
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
WAHM Addict

Unfortunately my cats are on Rx food because of bladder stones, but my dogs eat Life's Abundance. Formulated by a holistic vet, never recalled and delivered fresh.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

yes Barb, I have heard great things about Life's Abundance and would love to be able to sell it, but unfortunately not available in Australia
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
WAHM Addict

That is a shame they're not in Australia Angela. Maybe someday. I use to sell but stopped, but am thinking of joining again. I just feel so strongly about not using the regular brands of food on the market because of all the recalls that I want to let others know of a safer and better food option.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

yes would be great if we had something similar here, I am into holistic health for animals, we have Black Hawk holistic dry food here which I use for my dog and cats, but would be great if there was a home business opportunity attached to it, is a great product
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I combine a balance of dry pet food and 'healthy' table scraps. .... my pets normally live long, healthy lives with very few health issues.

My animals get real meat when I have it - like chicken, beef, etc... (not KFC or McD's Nor do I feed them hot spicy food although I'm pretty sure my dog would tear into a spicy taco or chili given the chance. And what dog doesn't love a giant beef bone?

I also like them to eat eggs and some skin/or oily foods - they get tuna fish and my dog loves peanut butter and oatmeal. I've used applesauce in making dog biscuits, although some dogs like it, others don't - same with carrots and veggies.

I also feed them both pure pumpkin which is said to be a natural parasite killer, is good for them and they like it.

After that horrific pet food scare a few years back, I decided to go back to the basics and start putting regular food into their diets that I knew wouldn't harm them. I think we can all do better than what we pick off the shelves coming out of China, if we just use common sense.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 PM
WAHM Fanatic

We do a mix of good quality dry and chicken too. We used to do a ground meat, oatmeal and rice mixture which was recommended many moons ago. The whole thing grosses me out, so my DH handles it.
The things we do for our fur-kids!?!
Deb
Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Banned

haha, yes can be gross making up pet food from scratch, especially if using offal, but not as bad as doing the cleanup at the other end
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM
WAHM Regular

I don't. I think it's better to buy trusted pet food on the store. Hehe
Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 PM
WAHM Addict

I cook for my 6 furkids and have since the day I got them. I did a TON of research and homecooking, is the best way to go, in my opinion. I couldn't do raw, but I am all for that as well.

This ad will disappear if you login