Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Bath/Body/Cosmetics/Skin Care Companies > Mary Kay

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered WAHM

I was googling for information about MK and this was the only place where I found any positive things at all! I just signed up to be an IBC to make some extra money since I'm looking at losing my job sometime in August/September due to layoffs.

Reading over some past posts it looks like there are several of you who are working MK pretty successfully and I was hoping you could give me some advice to get started. The job I currently have is in sales (not cosmetics) and strictly prohibits working outside the company. That severely limits my "warm" market since I can't talk to any of the women I work with. I've only lived in this area about 1 year and don't have any close friends locally. I do have a few acquintances that I could contact but am trying to come up with something to say that sounds a little more sincere than "I just started my own Mk business and need to do 30 faces...."

I like the idea of doing a drawing box at some local businesses for a gift certificate and then offering everyone a facial (I will have a REAL winner too). Is there anywhere to buy generic boxes at a reasonable price that I could customize? The ones on MKConnections are beautiful but a little pricey for my budget.

Also, I've seriously thought of just going through my neighborhood and knocking on doors to introduce myself as an IBC and offer all of my neighbors a free facial. Does that sound too crazy? I don't want to be the MK lady that everyone avoids.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. My director is in another state and just told me to do the Perfect Start with my friends and hasn't really been helpful. I just met my 'adopted' director last night and she said the same things. I really want to make mK work, I love the products and am so excited about getting started. I'm just not sure where to begin.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Super WAHM

HI,

Why not do a business debut at your home and invite the few people that you do know and ask them to invite a friend for you to meet! I did this when I first started in BC and invited my immediate neighbors and a few of them brought friends. I got a couple of future bookings and that is all it took to get it going! Good luck to you!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I do have that scheduled but because of the upcoming holiday and my director being out of town, it's not until 7/13. I was looking for some ways to get some activity sooner.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hi MKGirl,

I was in MK a longtime ago andmy Director at the timesent me a link to get inexpensive Raffle/Ballot boxes that you could decorate yourself. Unfortunately, I cannot find that link but I just did a search and I found this company here is the link they have a ton to choose from. Please know I have never used them before but take a look or do your own search and see what you find.

http://www.displays2go.com/sub.asp?ID=40

I know Staples sells them too, but they sell them in bulk online so it is a little pricey. If you have a store close to you maybe go in and see if they sell them individually.

Wishing you much success with your new MK business!

Angela

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Angel...08335835907374
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgirl1
The job I currently have is in sales (not cosmetics) and strictly prohibits working outside the company.
Can you afford to lose your job sooner than August/September if they find out about it? Because it sounds like they could easily fire you for it if they do. And unlike being laid off, if they fire you for violating your employment agreement with them, they could request that you be denied unemployment benefits.

Just my $0.02 worth, of course...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered WAHM

No, I'm actually a contractor so no unemployment or benefits. I'm not worrying about them finding out because where I work and live are far enough away that is unlikely. Besides there are only about a dozen people at the branch I work at and the next closest branch to me is 3 1/2 hrs away. There are no consequences of violating the rule except for termination of contract and that's ending anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think MK is going to immediately replace my income from work. I'm already actively looking for another job, I'd just like some extra income in case it takes a while.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Banned

Unless you adhere to a strict personal rule to not carry inventory and to shun all meetings and MK activities, you'll need a second job just to fund your MK job.

There are many hidden costs that recruiters conveniently "forget" to mention to prospective recruits. It's only after you sign your contract you learn your lesson the hard way. You might earn some pin money by strictly selling the product to customers and collecting the money up front before ordering product -- but replacement income for a real job? Hardly.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Edited by: sparkler
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
WAHM Regular

Good Stuff
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered WAHM

I believe Mary Kay products are great, but not too sure how good the business plan is, for those seeking to start a home based business and replace their income from a day job.

Anyway have you tried promoting yourself and your home business on Twitter, MySpace and YouTube? I am sure if you focus on related keywords and search terms that are local to you, you will do well. These social media sites are also free... if you know enough people locally then you could always do old school home parties etc. but you may find that your sales taper off with time once you sell to everyone you know. Since cosmetic products need replenishing you may be ok.

The internet and marketing on it can give you a lot more leverage and bigger contact base. This also depends on your goals. Are you promoting the home business side or the products or both.

This is my first post soI hope this helps.Good luck..

Edited by: QuickHomeBiz
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

MKC holds very tight reins on how and where they allow consultants to advertise.

This ad will disappear if you login