Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Closed Forums > Lia Sophia

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
WAHM Fanatic

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Hi...I'm new to this and was told to 'keep your receipts'. I know we can write off paper, pens etc. but can we write off gas? Or just mileage to/from shows, post office etc. How do you separate for tax man? Anyone write off their home/office or know how that works?
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:55 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi Rhonda, we were discussing this I think last month...Here is the link with the list we had created. Let us know if you think of anymore!

http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_post...144727&KW= tax
Old 05-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Super WAHM

I just wanted everyone to know that you CANNOT write off the $6 + any gift certificate costs per show. This amount is deducted from your pay and is not included in your profit amount reflectedon the 1099 that the company sends you.

Sorry[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

Contact an Accountant. They are the ones that know tax law and what you can and can't write off. You should find someone who is knowledgable in direct sales, is aggressive and you trust. And then keep EVERY receipt from anything that has to do with your business.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Awesome WAHM

I was told we COULD write off the $6- but not the gift certificate- The company does not take any tax out at all- we are responsible for that, and it comes out of our earnings- so I did that, (per H&R block)

Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Super WAHM

According to my Regional manager who has been in the business for over 18 years, you cannot deduct the $6 or gift certificates. If you look under order status and click on a show, you will see a gross profit amount and a net profit amount. The net profit is what is listed on your paycheck stub.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Awesome WAHM

I never write off gift certificates, but as far as the 6$ the company charges us per show-I was told otherwise by my upline, so I'll have to check into it again. Our whole group does this as far as I know,and our upline is a zone mngr. I'm getting confused on this, as when I add my 30%...my check is that amount minus $6...That doesn't make sense to me and will make a big difference on next years taxes if I cannot claim that amount. We claim my hubby's union dues, etc..and were told that we could claim this. I guess I'll just have to go out and buy a new computer and claim part of that.(desperately need a new one anyway)
Old 05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
WAHM Fanatic

My manager who is a Regional VP won't even discuss taxes with us. She states that we need to get a reputible tax person and follow their advice.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Awesome WAHM

Dani -- That is exactly right. We (well most of us anyway) are not CPA's and our uplines most likely are not either. So I will say it again -- Get an Accountant, a good one & fast!!! They will tell you what is legal & not to write off.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Super WAHM

My CPA verified this amount is deducted from our pay and is not included in our profit amount reflectedon the 1099 that the company sends us.

Each person can deduct whatever they want on their taxes...the trick is to prove the expense.

This ad will disappear if you login