Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Jewelry > Jewelry Companies

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Origami Owl

I was curious about all the hype I have been seeing about Origami Owl. Sure the lockets and charms are cute and the story behind the start of the company (a young lady who wanted to buy her first car) is touching but, are people really as ga ga over the lockets and charms as what is purported? I showed it to my neices who are around the same age as the founder and they were non plused, so is Origami Owl really as popular as they say it is and what about the whole wait list phenomenom? It smacked of the "creative" marketing techniques that Bamboo Pink used with their launch and as it turns out that is no conincidence, sure enough they have the same director of sales and training. Ultimately I feel it is the product that you are selling that is the important thing and I do think their product is cute and fun but their "launch" approach is causing me to have second thoughts of signing. Am I being too cautious?

Last edited by delovelies; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Awesome WAHM

I'm not a rep for OO but there is a large team here or used to be as a lot of the girls are no longer working the business but don't let that alarm you because that's common in any party plan. Most people eventually run out of people to host parties unless they continue working the business. This is true for all businesses.

The lockets are really cute and my daughter has one and adores it. Jewelry is a personal thing and for me, there's not enough variety, even though you can change the charms but it's still a locket from the outside. That said, if you LOVE the jewelry which is really important and considered other things i.e. are you willing to network and continue marketing your business to meet new people so you can get more hostesses, etc. Go for it it's something you want to do .

Just because there are lot of OO reps doesn't mean they're hustling and doing parties.

~J
Janette Stoll ~ #1 Direct Sales Leader ~ Helping You Succeed in Your Business
http://www.directsalesnaturalproducts.com
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
WAHM Regular

I don't personally know much about Origami Owl. Their jewelry looks cute and might be something fun to share with your customers. It really comes down to what you enjoy. If this is a type of jewelry that you would personally wear and love I say go for it! It's so much easier to sell something that you love and wear than not.
I chose to be a consultant for Paparazzi Jewelry because they have jewelry that I love wearing and that I could afford. I get excited to talk to people about my business because I believe in it and love it so much that I want to share it with everyone around me. It makes my job so much easier and successful because I'm a happy customer myself.

Amy
Paparazzi Independent consultant #4608
Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Awesome WAHM

I was not on the WAHM boards for a few months. When I returned, I learned about OO and also wondered about the fast growth of the company. It usually takes a few years in DS to gain this type of momentum. It could be that this type of jewelry and party experience has resonated with many people. They signed up and also generated great interest in representing this product. I think the product is cute as well and should appeal to many people.

When I see teenagers starting a company (Origami Owl, Ava Anderson), I also dig deeper because there have to adults involved in the decision making, strategies, and marketing of the company. Who are the, investors, if any? There are others that may be able to provide you with the specific information that you are looking for.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

I agree that you must love the jewelry because you need to wear it and you need to enjoy doing parties then it's a great fit for you. These companies were started by teens but OO is managed by the parents and same w/Ava who runs the business with her mom and a team of other grown ups.

I love jewelry/fashion and enjoy seeing new companies launch and of course, probably like other people, I have a network of friends also in direct sales but as a business, I'm definitely NOT a party plan type . You definitely have to find the right products that you will love and know what you need to do in order to be successful.

~J
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
WAHM Regular

I am still researching them and have found they don't have thousands of current designers. They only have thousands signed up on a waitlist, it seems the more that sign up on the waitlist the more people are interested and feel they want to sign up on the waitlist too, thinking this is the next big thing and they don't want to miss out. I am curious to see how this plays out and how many full fledged designers they will actually have their first year. One of the biggest negatives for me is that they charge a $9.95 a month fee for a replicated website and a $9.95 for back office and they don't proccess credit cards, you have to have a smart phone and sign up with payanywhere to take credit cards or pay your account. I know I love jewelry and there are several out there that have jewelry I LOVE, so I think I am going to keep researching until I find the right fit for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delovelies View Post
I am still researching them and have found they don't have thousands of current designers. They only have thousands signed up on a waitlist, it seems the more that sign up on the waitlist the more people are interested and feel they want to sign up on the waitlist too, thinking this is the next big thing and they don't want to miss out. I am curious to see how this plays out and how many full fledged designers they will actually have their first year. One of the biggest negatives for me is that they charge a $9.95 a month fee for a replicated website and a $9.95 for back office and they don't proccess credit cards, you have to have a smart phone and sign up with payanywhere to take credit cards or pay your account. I know I love jewelry and there are several out there that have jewelry I LOVE, so I think I am going to keep researching until I find the right fit for me.
This is what I found too and who knows if those thousands who are signed up on a waitlist have actually joined OO after the freeze or if they went on to sell for a different company?
Most DS companies charge $20 for a replicated website and a back office. It does seem odd to me though that they don't process cc.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Super WAHM

Hi everyone! I am an Independent Designer with Origami Owl and have been since Feb 2nd. I have only been with one other DS company which was not jewelry. I have to say that the experience is unlike my last DS experience. The reaction and response I receive from people is exciting. People love the idea and concept that they can customize something that tells their story. I have had so many touching moments at events and parties from a woman who made a locket in memory of her 5 year old son who had recently passed to a daughter who made a locket in memory of her father who was lost in battle in Afghanistan to joyous moments such as graduation and ballet recitals. Most Designers carry inventory and our customers love that they can build a locket and go home with it the night/day of the party or event. As far as the wait list goes, the response that Origami Owl had in the beginning was overwhelming. They were expecting 1,000 Designers within the first year and they had 1,000 within the first 2 months! In order to be able to fulfill the customer ecommerce orders AND the Designers orders they had to instill a freeze so they could catch their breath so to speak, hire more help, build up their inventory and be prepared for the flood of Designers and orders that followed. This was not a ploy by the company to try to build extra hype, it was out of sensibility and concern for customer service. If anyone is interested in Origami Owl or has any more questions, just let me know! The market is not saturated as there just over 2,000 designers now with about 5,000 more on the wait list. While it is a new company, there are some speed bumps along the way but the ride is well worth it! I hope this helps!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Super WAHM

As far as products go...Origami Owl does have a 5 year plan of new products and charms which they will be releasing with each new catalog. I was promoted to a Senior Team Leader in less than 2 months and could not be happier with my decision to join Origami Owl! You do have to find something you are passionate about and believe in selling!!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm not with OO but have a lot of pals and this is the reality of direct sales in general- it's a numbers business. There's a large OO team here in my area at one point but most are no longer gungho like they were at the beginning. It's just the nature of the business. It's productivity and not so much when you joined although if you joined at the beginning and kept working the business, that's the key to big income. My friend who sells for a jewelry company w/2500 consultants has 500 on her team but she joined when there was less than 100 and kept building and building.

There's always a new, next thing. I remember getting bombarded with Bamboo Pink promos and there's hardly any buzz now.

My two cents .

~J

This ad will disappear if you login