Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Jewelry > Jewelry Companies

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonymouse View Post
They are new so if you are up for dealing with their "bumps" as someone called them then it looks like a fun business. I'm sure like with any other new company they will work it out, but I've heard that their issues right now are quality based like broken lockets and chains, chains with finish that rubs off, necks turning green, missing crystals from lockets and charms and they have issues keeping things in stock because there is more demand than they can keep up with. Probably why they put a freeze on new members. I've seen the lockets - have a neighbor who sells them. They are cute, for sure! She also told me about all the problems they are having right now and she is thinking about quitting because she is embarrassed that her customers stuff keeps breaking.
I have been with Origami Owl since mid-January and yes keeping up with the demand was why the freeze was put into place. Now the waitlist is here so they can continue to monitor how many designers sign up each week and ensure the inventory levels are kept up to a level so that we don't come into a large backorder situation like we did March-April of this year.

As far as quality based issues, I have only had a handful of problems and have sold hundreds of lockets.
Jodi - Origami Owl, Director + Independent Designer #1144
email: jodiocken@gmail.com
Create your own personalized locket online
Let's Connect on : Facebook / Pinterest
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Yes, we have thousands of designers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetskinnywithBrandi View Post
This is what I found too and who knows if those thousands who are signed up on a waitlist have actually joined OO after the freeze or if they went on to sell for a different company?
Most DS companies charge $20 for a replicated website and a back office. It does seem odd to me though that they don't process cc.
I I signed up to be an OO designer a few weeks ago. I was on the waiting list for about a month. My waitlist number was 5 thousand something but my designer ID is in the low 4 thousands and every week they give 750 people from the waitlist the opportunity to join. So there definitely are thousands of designers. Here in AZ where it started, it's hard for me to find an event to do a booth at that hasn't already been flooded with requests by OO reps. I can guarantee you that the wait list and buzz is no hype. I wish they would stop adding people because they are having a hard time keeping lockets in stock and items are frequently on back order. Last week we were only able to order 3 of the 8 lockets they have available! It's been very frustrating. I heard some starter kits are even coming without lockets! On the upside though, of all the MLM's I've tried this is the first time I've seen a customer response so positive. The last party I did sold $750 in sales, and my commission is 30-50% depending on the item. Since I am so new, I am reinvesting a lot of it so I have a good selection for people to look at in person, but it doesn't hurt too bad because I know it's a good investment. At trade shows OO is the one booth where people line up to actually buy things. The price point is so affordable and I've seen them purchased for ALL ages. I personally love them too and really enjoy coming up with new ideas for designs. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to make extra money, however if you want to get in during their first year as an MLM you need to have some patience and be prepared for some bumps in the road especially with inventory supply. If you can afford to stock up when you can it will help!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I saw OO at an even a few weeks ago and it is very cute, but I wonder if the trend will continue and what happens if it doesn't. Will they expand into some other types of jewelry?

Jewelry is obviously a very profitable market for direct sales. I've been with lia sophia for 9 years now and have seen multiple companies start up and close up during my career. There is a lot of excitement about a new company and "ground floor" can be very enticing, but there is also a risk, especially if you are investing a large sum of money. You should never invest more than you are willing to lose in any business.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajewelrylady View Post
I saw OO at an even a few weeks ago and it is very cute, but I wonder if the trend will continue and what happens if it doesn't. Will they expand into some other types of jewelry?

Jewelry is obviously a very profitable market for direct sales. I've been with lia sophia for 9 years now and have seen multiple companies start up and close up during my career. There is a lot of excitement about a new company and "ground floor" can be very enticing, but there is also a risk, especially if you are investing a large sum of money. You should never invest more than you are willing to lose in any business.

As of next month they actually are expanding the jewelry line with other pieces besides the lockets but just from the personal POV it wasn't the "trend" of Origami Owl that drew me in (I'd never even heard of them until I came across them in my search for an unsaturated DS company), it was the personalization of the lockets themselves and I would think that most people with a passion, be it their kids, their cause, their hobby, etc, would feel the same way about them.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz.jewels View Post
Some people above commented that most companies charge for website and back office, but just as a note of comparison, I sell jewelry and do not pay anything for back office or website or credit card processing.

Good explanation on the plating of the chains - if they have more layers of plating than industry norms then that should be good, but I question the reference to stainless steel as a "premier" metal.

While I do not know all of the details, doesn't Silpada require you to pay an annual fee? Also, when new products come out, are they one of the companies that requires you to purchase all of the new products or are you able to pick and choose?

I would think that Silpada's "free" BO, website, and CC processing kind of balances out with their other fees, no?

All of these companies have pros and cons; it's just whatever is right for each of us.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, and with that annual fee ($150 currently), you get $100 in jewelry or supplies - you pick. Since we have no quotas, it's important to have something that prompts people to decide to stay active or resign.

When new jewelry comes out, we purchase what we want.

My experience is that these charges do not even out or amount to the same thing, but whether they do or not, it's important for people to make apples to apples comparisons including all costs and what is included with the like package from other companies being considered. I mean, in this day and age, I can't imagine running a business without a website an particularly without access to the company's back office.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
WAHM Regular

I started this thread because I had at one time been on the OO waitlist and was thinking seriously about joining, however, their fees for both front office and back office, waitlist and their choice of national sales manager made me change my mind and look elsewhere for a business. I am so happy that I found Chloe + Isabel. Their jewelry is a perfect fit for me. Something I can be truely passionate about and there is even more exciting things happening with them coming soon! You do pay for a start up kit ($175.00) which includes jewelry samples and supplies, but there is no joining fee and best of all their state of the art website and your own replicated website are free to you. No monthly charges. Honestly, I love their jewelry so much I think I would have joined even if they had monthly charges but it really is nice that they don't
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM
WAHM Regular

I think the idea is great, I am with their competitor, and we are doing well.
Both companies are taking off, they each have their own "niche" in the market.

I think with any company, it is wise to read everything you can about the company before choosing to work for them.
I did my research before choosing and have made the right choice for ME.

There are a few personal reasons I did not choose OO, if you want to know why, please feel free to PM me.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to TheDirectSalesMom
Default Dear Delovelies

I am so glad that you have found a great fit for you. C&I has some really cute stuff. A lot of OO reps have been on here and told you about all the pros about Origami Owl. The pros definitely outweigh the con. After being in and out of direct sales for 6 years, this is the one. I no longer have to offer everything and the kitchen sink for people to have a party. They simply come to me asking for a party. Strangers simply come to me to buy one. I no longer have to do games and a whole presentation to "try to get sales" - it just is high because people see, people love, people buy.

SHD seems to be everywhere pushing their company wherever Origami Owl is mentioned, spitting trash, even here under the Origami Owl forum. It definitely is a legit company and I do believe competition is good but i wish they talk about their amazing company offerings and products rather than Origami Owl didn't meet their expectations.

Best of wishes to your success,

LocketsNcharms on You Tube
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Thanks!

Thank you for your honest feedback about SHD. I can tell you that when I first joined SHD I was amazed at how I was treated by the competitor....harassing emails, FB messages and one person went as far as a harassing phone message on my private cell phone. Unprofessional in my opinion. I chose SHD for their quality customer service, how much they care for their Artists, and the support I get from the other Artists. I have never been with a company that was so good to me.

Our product is, in my opinion, superior to that is out there. Our home office sent 4,000 lockets back to their supplier because they didn't fit their standards....this meant that we were out of the product for a few weeks, and that is fine by me.
Some of our new products are being made right here in the USA, so we are supporting the people here in the US too. We also use swarovski crystals in all of our designs, which are high quality.

Just my opinion. People choose the company they work for based on what they like about it, and what it can do for them. I have friends that sell for our competitor and I would never talk poorly about their choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirectSalesMom View Post
I am so glad that you have found a great fit for you. C&I has some really cute stuff. A lot of OO reps have been on here and told you about all the pros about Origami Owl. The pros definitely outweigh the con. After being in and out of direct sales for 6 years, this is the one. I no longer have to offer everything and the kitchen sink for people to have a party. They simply come to me asking for a party. Strangers simply come to me to buy one. I no longer have to do games and a whole presentation to "try to get sales" - it just is high because people see, people love, people buy.

SHD seems to be everywhere pushing their company wherever Origami Owl is mentioned, spitting trash, even here under the Origami Owl forum. It definitely is a legit company and I do believe competition is good but i wish they talk about their amazing company offerings and products rather than Origami Owl didn't meet their expectations.

Best of wishes to your success,

LocketsNcharms on You Tube
~Robin Brooke~ South Hill Designs Executive Director #2049
Design Your Own Locket Online ~ Contact Me ~ Follow Me on Facebook

This ad will disappear if you login