Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Web & Office > Google Rater

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Registered WAHM

Google Quality Raters are out there rating not only organic search results, but also Google ads (AdWords) and Videos, and probably more things but those are the three types of raters I am sure of.
There is a good forum out there that is all “Quality Raters” info and discussion. I poured through a couple hundred pages of posts but you are welcome to read over at that forum here.
The Raters I will be talking about today are the ones that rate the organic results – called Search Quality Raters. In a nutshell, Google outsources this job to outside companies and those outside companies hire independent contractors to do the work.
What Is a Google Search Quality Rater? How Do They Get Hired?
Here is a quote from one of the forum posts that sums up the position of a Google Search Quality Rater quite well:
“There are a few names for this position. The companies hiring for this are Lionbridge, Leapforce and Butler Hill. I am not sure if Workforce Logic still hires for this or not. Lionbridge titles this position as an internet assessor and Leapforce titles it as Search Engine Evaluator. You do not apply with Google. These companies contract with Google and hire independent contractors.
I work for Lionbridge. I enjoy the pay, but the task availability is not always steady and the work can get boring sometimes. Basically what it entails is assessing the utility of search engine results. In order to get started, you must apply and if they have openings in your area and you qualify, they will invite you to take a test.
The test is long and you must study carefully.
The pay is great(I cannot disclose due to confidentiality agreement), but it is hourly.
It is a great way to earn a part-time income.”
So, to sum up – these people are “stay at home” type folks…moms, between jobs, students, etc.
They can apply for a Quality Rater position through one of these outside companies.
If accepted, they then take a 2-part exam to qualify their ability.
“The exam consists of two sections: Section 1 has 24 theory questions and Section 2 consists of 270 practical exams. “
If they pass the exams, they are then hired to work as an independent contractor (ie, work from home, no taxes taken out of pay – no employee benefits). They tend to work 10-20 hours per week and are paid by the hour. From what I can gather, they make something like $12 – $15 per hour.
These QRs (Quality Raters) are only allowed to work for one year. Then, they must wait 3 months before they can apply for that position to work again.
Now, these folks, for the most part, are not internet marketers or especially experienced with Google or organic rankings from the perspective we are. They are “normal” users of Google. They hire these raters from all over the world and those speaking all types of languages.

convert FLV to MP4 Mac

Last edited by Sofiaricky; 12-13-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've read and heard about Google Rater. Although I know some services from Google, this is the one that is strange to me. Anyway, thanks for sharing it meaning and understandable explanation. It helps us a lot.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
WAHM Regular

thanks, interesting.....
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Can you provide more info on getting a job as a Google Rater? I live in southern Georgia.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Default a degree?

Do you have to have a degree to be a Google Rater?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 PM
WAHM Regular

So, is it my understanding then that you actually rate the sites for GOOGLE based on different criteria? If so, I'm very uninformed I thought this was all done automatically by a computer program. Thank goodness it's not...glad to hear there's some other great paying telecommuting jobs.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default thank you

I just wanted to thank you for providing this information. It is very much appreciated
Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered WAHM

The search quality raters use a document called General Guidelines, copies of which are floating around the web (search for "Welcome to the Search Quality Rating Program!"). They are given search queries to conduct, evaluate the results pages by going to each site and then assign a rating to each.

This helps the engineers to fine-tune their algorithm and it helps to get rid of sites that manage to cheat their way to a top ranking.

Currently, Google is hiring Quality Raters through ABE Services in the US and Canada. It is also hiring Quality Evaluators as full-time positions in Santa Monica and Quality Evaluation Associates/Administrators in Mountain View.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 AM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up

Google Raters are out there rating not only organic search results, but also Google ads (AdWords) and Videos, and probably more things. It is a great equipment helpful in setting parameters of ranking and rates the search engines.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM
WAHM Regular

I thought I was fairly famliar with all aspects of Google but this is new to me also. Can someone tell me in a little more detail what kind of knowledge you would need to have a chance at a position as a Google rater? Thanks!

This ad will disappear if you login

Tags
google search rater jobs