WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (http://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Daycare operators (http://www.wahm.com/forum/daycare-operators-41/)
-   -   Do you charge more for children under the age of 2 or 3? (http://www.wahm.com/forum/daycare-operators-41/622602-do-you-charge-more-children-under-age-2-3-a.html)

rhonda_wahm 02-13-2012 05:34 AM

Do you charge more for children under the age of 2 or 3?

I would really love to watch children 2 and over but it seems that I have had a lot of calls for 4-6 month olds. Do you charge more for an infant that you do a toddler/older child? If so ... how much more would you recommend I charge?

I really prefer keeping them all close in age so that I can do things with them all together. It just makes the day much smoother. But ... it seems that those that call have one toddler and one infant. So wondering if I should just charge more for an infant?

kjm 02-13-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhonda_wahm (Post 2916771)
I would really love to watch children 2 and over but it seems that I have had a lot of calls for 4-6 month olds. Do you charge more for an infant that you do a toddler/older child? If so ... how much more would you recommend I charge?

I really prefer keeping them all close in age so that I can do things with them all together. It just makes the day much smoother. But ... it seems that those that call have one toddler and one infant. So wondering if I should just charge more for an infant?

Hi Rhonda,

I currently provide childcare and I charge a base rate for all ages; however, I've been strongly debating on changing the rate for younger ones. They require so much more time and energy and I think it'd be worth it to charge extra. I can't really say what to charge because rates are different in all states... I charge $125/wk or $30/day...which is comparable to other rates in my area but others that have infants charge more....and I recommend doing that. I recently got rid of a 1 year old I was watching because he required a lot of attention and was really fussy which made it hard to do things with the older ones that I have. I recommend trying to have kids around the same age but that can be hard cause I've noticed most people looking for childcare have infants in need of care. Good luck!!!

rhonda_wahm 02-13-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjm (Post 2916838)
Hi Rhonda,

I currently provide childcare and I charge a base rate for all ages; however, I've been strongly debating on changing the rate for younger ones. They require so much more time and energy and I think it'd be worth it to charge extra. I can't really say what to charge because rates are different in all states... I charge $125/wk or $30/day...which is comparable to other rates in my area but others that have infants charge more....and I recommend doing that. I recently got rid of a 1 year old I was watching because he required a lot of attention and was really fussy which made it hard to do things with the older ones that I have. I recommend trying to have kids around the same age but that can be hard cause I've noticed most people looking for childcare have infants in need of care. Good luck!!!

Thanks so much! I am beginning to think my rates might be to low actually. I have been charging Full Time 4 days or more for $100 wk for the first child and $75 for each additional child. Part Time is 3 days or less Ive been charging $60 a week for the first child and $50 for the second. I provide breakfast, lunch, snack and drinks. So I am thinking maybe my rates are to low ....

kjm 02-14-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhonda_wahm (Post 2916955)
Thanks so much! I am beginning to think my rates might be to low actually. I have been charging Full Time 4 days or more for $100 wk for the first child and $75 for each additional child. Part Time is 3 days or less Ive been charging $60 a week for the first child and $50 for the second. I provide breakfast, lunch, snack and drinks. So I am thinking maybe my rates are to low ....

Hey Rhonda!!

I replied to another thread that you started as well.. .and I honestly do think that your rates are too low!! Specially with everything that you provide on top of what you already have to buy (like cleaning agents, toilet paper, utensils, water, electricity, craft supplies..etc).... I would honestly look into upping your rates....

I did ask in the other thread, how would you go about raising the rates and coming to your clients with the higher rates?? I am curious because I'd like to do the same with one of my long-term clients. I've been giving them a very discounted rate compared to my other clients and would like to raise the rate.. .but am unsure how to go about it without it coming off greedy or coming off wrong and ending in the result of pushing them away... Anyway, I wrote more about it on the other thread, too! lol

Krystle512 02-20-2012 01:04 PM

When I was doing daycare I charged $100 per child no matter their age. Sometimes I think I should have charged more considering that's like $2.50 an hour per kid lol.

rhonda_wahm 03-08-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystle512 (Post 2920202)
When I was doing daycare I charged $100 per child no matter their age. Sometimes I think I should have charged more considering that's like $2.50 an hour per kid lol.

Yeah I definately think its a must to charge more for infants. They are ALOT more work. So I totally think that more money should be paid for an infant. Almost all day cares charge more for infants/kids under the age of 2.

I decided after watching an almost one year old that is still on formula/baby food and just learning to walk that I am going to charge more for infants if I ever have fill in child care spots available. Meaning if I watch them temporarily as a fill in sitter. But ... that for full time and part time child care I am not taking anyone unless they are 2 and up. Simply because for me, it takes away from the older kids and I dont want to do that. So ... thats what I finally decided about mine.

I do still have the almost one year old but, still debating on keeping him or dropping him. Still thinking on that one ...

rhonda_wahm 03-14-2012 10:05 AM

After watching this one year old along side the other children I watch I have realized just how much of my time he takes up therefore ... Ive decided I wont be taking anyone under the age of 2 anymore at all. So I am not even worrying about creating a rate for anyone under the age of 2 because I am just going to start turning people away that have infants. Its just to much and takes away from the fun that I want to have with the other children.

In fact .... I am working on replacing the baby I am watching and giving her a notice so that I can watch children all over the age of 2 so we can have loads of fun during the day ... especially this summer!

hijess 03-25-2012 05:03 PM

Children that young definitely take up a lot more time and energy than older kids. I don't blame you for not accepting any more children that young. My youngest is 23 months and I can't wait til she's like 3 because I know from experience she'll be much easier to work with! lol

rhonda_wahm 03-28-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hijess (Post 2936282)
Children that young definitely take up a lot more time and energy than older kids. I don't blame you for not accepting any more children that young. My youngest is 23 months and I can't wait til she's like 3 because I know from experience she'll be much easier to work with! lol

I totally understand! My youngest now that I care for just turned one. After I started watching him I was thinking - what was I thinking lol :)

If I end up replacing him then I will watch children 2 and up - thats it!

binaryoptions1 03-30-2012 06:19 PM

Good luck!