Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Miscellaneous Professions > Daycare operators

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jessupsamuel
Default SAHM Babysitting

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I'm wondering what a SAHM could reasonably charge for caring for one child for an 8-hour day. I'm seeing $125/week for five, 8-hour days, but I just can't imagine caring for someone's child for $5/hr. Is this normal?

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Since it would only be for one additional child, $125/week doesn't sound unreasonable. I know it doesn't sound like a lot of money when you break it down by the hour, but one additional child most likely wouldn't be that much extra work since you already would be doing things with your own children. However, I know that it would depend on a lot of things. For instance, a child with special needs may require more time and attention, infants and toddlers require more than older children, etc. Another thing to consider is what the average income for your area is like. Someone living in the midwest or south would most likely charge less than someone living in California, for example, because the economy is vastly different from one area to another.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupsamuel View Post
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I'm wondering what a SAHM could reasonably charge for caring for one child for an 8-hour day. I'm seeing $125/week for five, 8-hour days, but I just can't imagine caring for someone's child for $5/hr. Is this normal?
In our area (mid-west), I'm guessing that $2.50 - $3.00 per hour would be more common per child. Of course, if you have up to 6 children you are caring for, that's pretty decent money. For one kid, it's not alot, but, like the previous poster said, if you're home anyways and caring for your own child, it's not much extra work. (Sometimes, actually, it's less work because they entertain each other. When I did licensed day care in my home, I found that I was most tied down when I had only one child, because they wanted individual attention from me.)

~ Faith
Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Super WAHM

We pay $110 a week for full time in home daycare.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Registered WAHM

Why don't you simply start to babysit more children at once, that way you wouldn't have to charge to much and you'd earn well. This is what I would do if I was you. Maybe it is more responsibility but it is not necessarily much more work.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered WAHM

Cool Looking for child care

When I was thinking about going back to work I looked around for child care a lot. For SAHM the average was $2-3 and hour if unlicensed, $3-5 for licensed and $5-up for daycares with more than 8 children already. So $5 and hour sounds about fair to me.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM
MidwestMommax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annawahm View Post
When I was thinking about going back to work I looked around for child care a lot. For SAHM the average was $2-3 and hour if unlicensed, $3-5 for licensed and $5-up for daycares with more than 8 children already. So $5 and hour sounds about fair to me.
I actually looked into providing care in my home awhile back (when I was looking at ways to make money and stay home with my kids) but like already mentioned, the pay that someone would pay per hour didn't fit my family's budget (even if I had more kids or were to become licensed). Of course you want to stay competitive with your fees and make it affordable for the families but your also in a business. Time to time, I'll still babysit (just because I love kids and my kids like being around their friends) but as a business, I'm not to sure.

If this is what you want to do and this is your passion, I would make it work. I believe even in this economy it's possible to be in a striving in-home care business. You just need to do you research, marketing etc. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Grand WAHM

Send a message via AIM to Amy Jacobs Send a message via Yahoo to Amy Jacobs

How old is the child in question? Are we talking infant, toddler, child? That makes a difference I think It were talking infant then yes I would want more then $5.00 a hour if toddler or young child then that sounds about right to me

~Amy~
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Smile Babysitting Tips - CD with Ebook & Audio

Hi
I have an ebook that I can send you about Starting a Babysitting Business, just PM me your email address and I will email it to you,
cheers
Angela
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
WAHM Regular

Could you send me the ebook as well?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela123 View Post
Hi
I have an ebook that I can send you about Starting a Babysitting Business, just PM me your email address and I will email it to you,
cheers
Angela

This ad will disappear if you login