Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Business Advice and Topics

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Default Focus and Time Management Advice?

I didn't see any other threads on this site for staying Focused and Time Management Tips (in the Forum), so if there some already I apologize. I work full time but also wish to be successful at a Home Business. I have some demanding Family responsibilities. I was wondering if anyone has Focusing and Time Management Advice for this?
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Theresa Wilkins

Send a message via Skype™ to FreeElectricity

I think that scheduling EVERYTHING you do and making your family aware of that schedule is helpful. If every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at the same set time you are going to be in your office or another room of the house working on your home business - your family needs to know this and know that time is off limits even though you are present in the home.

Honestly this is still a challenge for me today with my husband when it comes to my Virtual Assistant business (we work our MLM/home biz together). He likes to come in my office with a cup of coffee and start talking about whatever and I"m like "I'm working!!" LOL And yes, I make sure I put aside time for him in the morning, sitting with him during breakfast and having coffee with him - so it's always a struggle. BUT with a home business if you are in the right one for you, in a matter of a year or two you can be where you want to be financially and the business will come more naturally and you will have things a bit more automated and hopefully your family will respect your "work" time a bit better.

Best wishes!

Everyone You Know Uses It! Electricity (and natural gas): www.EarnWithAmbit.biz
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Super WAHM

To create more time, eliminate your time wasters. You need to determine what those are. Time wasters squander away our time...such as checking email over and over, visiting Twitter and Facebook. Limit the time spent on social networks by setting a timer or only visiting them after your work is finished.

I just blogged the other day about 'How to tame digital time wasters' because I do feel that this is definitely a hindrance for most online business owners...myself included. lol
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Super WAHM

I'm going to PM. I think you'll like it.

Last edited by EcoConsciousMom; 04-09-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: It posted before I was ready.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
WAHM Regular

I work only a few hours per day - sometimes as little as one hour. I also keep a very religious calendar. I schedule the amount of work to fit the time I have available. Then, I know what I have to do and how much time I have to do it when I sit down to work at night. It keeps me on track. I've found having many hours to do just a few things winds up being wasted, unproductive time and I hate waste.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 AM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehitz

I think that the reason there is not specific folder on time management is because most of the companies on here have a lot of really great training.

But me? I'm a Franklin Covey ADDICT. If it weren't for my day planner, I wouldn't know what was going on haha.

warm regards!
Evelyn
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
WAHM Regular

It's really tough when you're working and at the same time you have to take care of your immediate families. I think the most important is to prioritize first the needs of your families because in the end you will end up stress if you cannot work well because of interruptions. Also make sure you are taking one step at a time. This may seem hard to do but doing everything at the same time won't do you anything good.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Lightbulb

I'm on the fence on this subject. As a holder of a BS Degree from a state university, I know that Time Mngt is important and a learned skill. In order to obtain a business degree, you will have to have studied it in more than one class. And one train of thought that it is a practiced habit than anyone can establish.

On the other hand, I truely believe that if you want it bad enough, you won't have to 'schedule' the time in your day, your day will revolve around taking strides towards your online goal without much thought.

I've always been successful working at home as a Freelancer, but the big money found in internet mkt always held my attention. So I couldn't even tell you how many hours I played spent online learning the craft rather than watch TV or play online games. Why, because it never felt like work. I even picked up Freelancing jobs in order to hone my skills where I wasn't as strong, always working towards my dream.

And then slowly, the payoff started rolling in. I still work as a Freelancer but also now have several solid streams of residual income flowing in. So if you want that business badly enough, NOTHING will get in your way, not lack of time, lack of planning, family obligations, or anything else.!!! If it feels like too much work and effort, then you're probably not working towards your real dream.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to CherylAH

One of the things that has helped me the most is to make my list each day, first thing, of what I want to accomplish each day. I include my family things along with my business things. I have three children and I'm the one that gets everyone to school, back home, to practices/games, gets meals done, etc. I'm able to work efficiently while they are at school and then when I'm waiting for them to get out of school, etc. I use my iPhone to stay connected with eMails and visiting sites, etc. I keep my laptop downstairs with me so that when I have time in between family things I can do work.
It's a tough thing to balance family and a business along with a full-time job. Initially your home-based business will probably get the most uninterrupted time after the kids go to bed and first thing in the morning. Each nite I'm up a few hours after everyone has gone to sleep because it's when I get the most done because I'm completely focused on the tasks at hand. My business is able to continue working even when I'm sleeping just by the beauty of the internet and the fact that the online world is always awake. LOL! I'll do my work during the day and I'll wake up and see the results.
I'm not sure what your home-based business is, but I hope this helps.

Wishing you much success.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Grand WAHM

Send a message via AIM to Amy Jacobs Send a message via Yahoo to Amy Jacobs
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuggitt View Post
I'm on the fence on this subject. As a holder of a BS Degree from a state university, I know that Time Mngt is important and a learned skill. In order to obtain a business degree, you will have to have studied it in more than one class. And one train of thought that it is a practiced habit than anyone can establish.

On the other hand, I truely believe that if you want it bad enough, you won't have to 'schedule' the time in your day, your day will revolve around taking strides towards your online goal without much thought.

I've always been successful working at home as a Freelancer, but the big money found in internet mkt always held my attention. So I couldn't even tell you how many hours I played spent online learning the craft rather than watch TV or play online games. Why, because it never felt like work. I even picked up Freelancing jobs in order to hone my skills where I wasn't as strong, always working towards my dream.

And then slowly, the payoff started rolling in. I still work as a Freelancer but also now have several solid streams of residual income flowing in. So if you want that business badly enough, NOTHING will get in your way, not lack of time, lack of planning, family obligations, or anything else.!!! If it feels like too much work and effort, then you're probably not working towards your real dream.
I like how you think woman AWESOME POST!
Seeking Serious Homeworkers We offer Daily pay & Household Benefits. Work PT or FT. No Cold calling. Full Training & Support Provided. Call or text me Amy Jacobs 815-341-2151 www.workwithAmyJacobs.com

This ad will disappear if you login

Tags
staying focused, time management