Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Sales Companies > Bath/Body/Cosmetics/Skin Care Companies > Avon

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Online Business Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to DeeAmber
Default Can you do Avon passively?

I work around 50 hours a week in corporate media and I'm already doing Scentsy and another weight loss business, so my plate feels somewhat full. I'm wondering if you can passively market Avon.

If I joined, I would not have time to do anything except an occasional *toss campaign* where I drive around and throw flier bags out. I would list my Avon website on my Facebook and do statuses/posts to advertise here and there.

What are the quotas and monthly cost? I love Scentsy because there are NO quotas, unless you start building a team. Then you're required to sell/make a certain amount, but for the time being, it's stress free. I will be having parties eventually...I'm thinking once every 6 weeks and if I do that, I can even bring some Avon stuff and it can be a double whammy...along with my weight loss stuff too! LOL

But for now, I really just want to sell online if anything. I don't have a lot of time. I can toss maybe 400 brochures per month. Go out in the car and do it. But I need something passive and I don't want to spend more than $30ish a month to run the business at first. I know it's $10 to join, but there has to be some kind of hidden fees.

I want something I can put on the backburner and make an extra $200/month from right now..and I will slowly build it over the years. What are your thoughts?

PS. I forgot to add that I joined Avon about 6 years back and that lasted about a month. I dropped out. I was broke and I don't even think the credit card I had on file was any good because I had no money in the bank at that point in my life.

**Lastly...please don't blow up my inbox. I'm just asking a few questions and not even sure I could do Avon yet. If there are quotas, I probably won't. I don't have time to work and worry about running 3 side businesses if they have quotas.

Last edited by DeeAmber; 09-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links

This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on WAHM!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned

Default Suggestion

Just my personal opinion and others may disagree but I think you would get further along in your quest for additional income if you focused on one company.

Juggling 3 companies and a job may leave you feeling and looking like the "jack of all trades, master of none."

Regardless of how good the product or the company if you are only devoting part-time it is going to take you at least a year or two to build a significant income.

But, it you find the right fit and stay in contact with someone who is active and successful with the business you chose, you will succeed.

Also, I think you have more credibility when recruiting new distributors if your focus is on that one "Fabulous Opportunity."

Just something to think about.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 AM
WAHM Master

The cost to join is $10 in person or $20 online. There are no quota's or monthly fees. You do have a One Simple Shipping Fee when you place an order and it depends on the size of your order (I placed one for over $600 and it was $8.95 to give you an idea) which includes the free erep site. What you order you pay for. That is the only cost involved. But in order to receive a discount you will need to purchase $50 or more. However it is not required that you purchase that or that you need to do so every campaign. Like the other company you are in if you chose to recruit you will need to start selling $250 each campaign (unless you are not interested in leadership - you can still recruit for the Believe in Your Success money). You are not required to have parties.

I wouldn't focus on just selling online. That will be difficult and you could get discouraged. This is a people business and you will find that most people who purchase Avon likes having a local rep they feel comfortable with and like talking to.

You do have to purchase brochures but if you are planning on tossing this is where it is great to be friends with the District Manager. She can provide outdated brochures for you for free (remember it is only for advertising and you can place a sticker that says "For Advertising purpose only, call for a current brochure" or something to that effect.

I want something I can put on the backburner and make an extra $200/month from right now..and I will slowly build it over the years. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts on this would be that even though it is possible to make $200 a month, after your first four campaigns you are going to lose the guaranteed 40% earnings (20% non-core products), then it will depend on what you sell that determines your earnings and you will have to be President's Club member to receive the 40% guaranteed earnings again. It will be difficult to do so. But again the Believe in Your Success money can easily earn you $200 or more a month but you have to take the time to recruit people. If it is something you want to try, I say try it. If it doesn't work out then you hopefully have not really lost anything because you should be able to make the $10/$20 you spent on signing up back in your first campaign as long as you don't go over board and purchase alot of business tools or personal products.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by SAHMof2; 09-14-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 AM
WAHM Master

I do agree for the most part but there are some people out there who love the challenge and they do really well. It is all about time management and having the passion for doing what you do. Everyone knows their limits and everyone is going to do what they want to do regardless if we think it is a good idea or not. I am running a successful business, attending school, and taking care of my family. I personally know I couldn't handle more than this. However I do know people who work full time, attend school, teach, volunteer their time, run a business, and still have time for their family. Like I said it is all about time management and having the passion for doing what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianRose View Post
Just my personal opinion and others may disagree but I think you would get further along in your quest for additional income if you focused on one company.

Juggling 3 companies and a job may leave you feeling and looking like the "jack of all trades, master of none."

Regardless of how good the product or the company if you are only devoting part-time it is going to take you at least a year or two to build a significant income.

But, it you find the right fit and stay in contact with someone who is active and successful with the business you chose, you will succeed.

Also, I think you have more credibility when recruiting new distributors if your focus is on that one "Fabulous Opportunity."

Just something to think about.

Last edited by SAHMof2; 09-14-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Online Business Owner

Smile

I basically just want to have a website where people can go to buy myself. I sell Scentsy and the orders are just coming left and right...and I've yet to even have a party. This is just candles!

Avon offers all kinds of stuff too, so I just kind of wanted my website up to market passively and for everyone to know they have an Avon girl. I'm not worried about recruiting for a while...probably not until I'm a full-time work-at-home-mom..so maybe another 3ish years.

I understand the part about juggling too many things, but I'm not looking to do Avon aggressively. It would just be something that I build along the way, over the years. Then once I have time, I can recruit...years away of course.

So it's 20% on all sales after first 4 campaigns and just $20/month to run the website? I'm literally not interested in anything else..just the bare minimum...absolute basics.

I plan on having a Scentsy open house every 6 weeks and I feel like Avon could go hand in hand with that. I'll have my Scentsy party, but also bring a baggy with brochures/samples for everyone there.

More thoughts ladies? I appreciate your honesty.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dee

PM coming your way - we need to talk

Bonnie
Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
WAHM Master

When I used to be with Avon, I tossed 100-200 brochures a campaign and I reached PC and then Honor Society that way.
It was A LOT of work though.a lot of packing orders, gas money, time involved.
I mean, I made some cash and it was fine when I was married and had little ones.
Leadership was the way to make better money and I got a decent team going but then I moved and had a hard time re-building a new clientele to do the required $250 every 2 weeks.

Some reps are very successful, some can barely sell a thing. As with ANY home biz, you get out of it what you put into it.

And I used to be with 2 companies at once, really working both at the same time and quite happy with it but it IS hard to focus for sure.
Now I only "work" one line but I still use the service of another ( SOC)

Sometimes it's easier to just focus on the one and grow it big!

Best,
Deb
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Online Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraFerrie View Post
When I used to be with Avon, I tossed 100-200 brochures a campaign and I reached PC and then Honor Society that way.
It was A LOT of work though.a lot of packing orders, gas money, time involved.
I mean, I made some cash and it was fine when I was married and had little ones.
Leadership was the way to make better money and I got a decent team going but then I moved and had a hard time re-building a new clientele to do the required $250 every 2 weeks.

Some reps are very successful, some can barely sell a thing. As with ANY home biz, you get out of it what you put into it.

And I used to be with 2 companies at once, really working both at the same time and quite happy with it but it IS hard to focus for sure.
Now I only "work" one line but I still use the service of another ( SOC)

Sometimes it's easier to just focus on the one and grow it big!

Best,
Deb
Oh wow. I'm not finding it to be a lot of work at all, but I'm guessing it could be because I have the website. In fact, I haven't passed out a single brochure (not that I won't) and have people flocking to me just off my Facebook posts.

Definitely. It it was one makes of it and some can do well and others cannot and they go on to look for the "right fit".

What I love about Avon is that it's really easy and I have no troubles with my other venture. They work hand in hand. I guess it depends on how you work your business.

Passion has a lot to do with it...and a good product/service! The biggest thing I did was ask myself (with previous companies) is this something I would still buy for full price if it was sold at a standalone store and I had no chance to profit from it? The answer was almost always a resounding NO.

Not with my 2 current ventures (Avon being one of them) and I seriously don't know why I avoided either for such a long time. I love their products and have been using Avon since I was literally a toddler! No joke

Well, it looks like you have some free time on your hands, so always feel free to stop by and say hello here and on the candle boards. I've been so engrossed and dealing with people who are asking me about my newest ventures that I haven't had a chance to stop by the other boards...or even talk to some of my relatives! Been meaning to say hello to all of my old friends

I am NOT complaining though! :-) I'll never have to worry about "leads" or signing up my mom, dad, sis, cousin & grandma again lol. It's a great feeling. Lots of luck to you with your newest venture. I really hope it works out for you. Talk soon!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered WAHM

Just wanted to say thank you for this post Dee! You are inspiring and have encouraged me to try Avon again with a different mindset! I love the products but I think I was discouraged by all the other reps that were out there the first time-but I think it just requires a different take and some different marketing!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM
WAHM Master

I think most people get discourage by how many reps that are out there because they see them as competition. If you see this as a business opportunity and decide you are going to offer the best customer service you possible can you are going to start building your business and realize that it is not competition. If your customers are happy they are going to stick with you and they are going to recommend you to others. I also believe those who do view this as competition don't last that long either.

This ad will disappear if you login