WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Jones International University?

Areona'sMOM
08-29-2006, 07:01 AM
I have currently been looking to go back to school.I have checked out many online universities and many I checked out seemed to be fraudulant or a scam.Jones International has contacted me and I have checked them out but couldn't find anything.Has anyone had a postive or negative experience with them?

jenzshoppin
08-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I work for an online college here in Phoenix. It is Anthem College Online, a division of High Tech Institute. It is a REAL college and how you can tell, is the accreditation. Our school is accredited under the accsct. (www.accsct.org (http://www.accsct.org)) THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT ANY SCHOOL, THE ACCREDITATION!

I am going to work today and you are welcome to email me or call me directly. My email is jscott@anthemcollege.com and my phone number with extension is 1-866-837-1010 x26359, YOU MUST ask for me, Jennifer Scott,when you get the front desk or else I will lose you to another rep, and I am really thebest rep for you smileys/smiley2.gif. smileys/smiley17.gif

I'll tell you more details about the school and see if it is a good fit for you. I CAN tell you now that it is COMPLETELY ONLINE and you do not have to show up at the campus for anything, not even BOOKS!

Please, if you know anyone who needs their degree and does not have time, ask them to call and email me?! Thanks! And good luck with your school search! CHECK THEIR ACCREDITATION!!

classyred
08-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Also check out your state university I am working on my degree 100 percent on line and it is a local state university, you can also get better tuition rates that way as well.

Areona'sMOM
08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
I am looking into getting a bachelor's in business communications.

joshuaswife1996
08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
I start with Anthem Sept 4. I wish I would have seen this before I signed up. I would have loved to have you as a my rep. My rep is how can I can not nice. She is rude and cuts you off when you are talking, and doesn't let you really talk and acts like she dont care.

griffin
08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
I hate to spoil the moment, I attended Anthem online and they are nationally accredited. Itis nothing wrong withnationally acredidation but ifanyone plans to attend a 4 year university, or obtain a higher major like bachlors or mastersdegree or transfer to another college, I highly suggest attending a school that is regionally acreditted.Most nationally accredited institutions have limited transbility, which means most credits took from that institution will unlikely to transfer or may transferfew courses. I am not bashing at the school at all and I think it is a pretty good school, but I am plan to obtain a higher degree and I have a school in mind I plan to attend. As a result of the school is nationally accredited, I withdrew and now attending a regionally accredited institution. Honestly, it really sucks that must schools don't transfer credits from national institutions, but that is just the way it is.

jenzshoppin
08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Joshua's wife, who is your rep? Maybe her initials? I'm just curious.

Griffin, first of all, that is GREAT that you are working to reach your educational goals!! smileys/smiley4.gif

You are right about transferring credits. What you or others may NOT know is that ALL COLLEGES pick and choose which credits they will accept for transfer. I worked at a University before and it was the same way. smileys/smiley5.gif

So, with that said, it IS best to get your Associates and Bachelor's at the same college to ensure you don't have to re-take any classes. I know that is what all schools wish, to keep students for both degrees!

I speak to many, many people who need an Associates or Bachelor's degree to get the promotion at work, mostly for management positions. Most of them are not aspiring to go on to graduate or doctorate degrees. I can see if you are an educator or in political science, those frequently desire a higher degree in order to move up in thier field.

If you are looking for a higher degree than a Bachelor's do your homework FIRST, before signing up for school and make sure you will have the correct classes and have less classes you may have to re-take at another school.

joshuaswife1996
08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
What is the difference between nationally and regionally accredited? What school are you going to?

The rep I work with her first name starts with a K.

griffin
08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Well in my opinion, there is no difference between national and regionally accredited institution. However, most of the traditional schools(even the best ones reported onUS news and report) are regionally accredited and maybe employers take that into consideration when it comes to getting jobs (job market is getting more competative these days).If you are happy with the school attending and not looking for advancingyour degree, stay there. If you want a bachlors or a masters degree (especiallymasters degree)it would bebetter to attend a regionally accredited school. In addition, please make sure if the program requires certification,make sure the program is certified. Some employers may take programs took from institution into consideration. I want to tell you all that I am attending Devry University. I am not promotingthis school at all, Ijust want to advise you all to do further research before making a final decision to waste some money for a school and program that may not get you all anywhere in the long run. I really wish I done some homework and know what I knownow, before spending my money on a school that may not work for me.

Lisa006
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Joshua's wife, who is your rep? Maybe her initials? I'm just curious.

Griffin, first of all, that is GREAT that you are working to reach your educational goals!! smileys/smiley4.gif

You are right about transferring credits. What you or others may NOT know is that ALL COLLEGES pick and choose which credits they will accept for transfer. I worked at a University before and it was the same way. smileys/smiley5.gif

So, with that said, it IS best to get your Associates and Bachelor's at the same college to ensure you don't have to re-take any classes. I know that is what all schools wish, to keep students for both degrees!

I speak to many, many people who need an Associates or Bachelor's degree to get the promotion at work, mostly for management positions. Most of them are not aspiring to go on to graduate or doctorate degrees. I can see if you are an educator or in political science, those frequently desire a higher degree in order to move up in thier field.

If you are looking for a higher degree than a Bachelor's do your homework FIRST, before signing up for school and make sure you will have the correct classes and have less classes you may have to re-take at another school.

I can't say that I would recommend anthem that highly at all, Jennifer I actually attended Anthem, and graduated from there as well, several months ago, and have yet to receive my "ACTUAL" certificate degree, I have been waiting now for about 3 months, and nothing, last I heard they were changing over to a different degree style for them, so it would be a "SHORT" hold, not that long period of time though. I will be contacting you today, because I would like to know why I haven't received it.

Also, as for anyone contemplating enrolling there, be cautious because I had a rather awkward experience while attending, they literally tried to force me into their bachelors program, it took me contacting the campus president SEVERALLLLL times before they finally dropped my name, but why did I just receive another textbook in the mail two days ago, when I haven't attended Anthem in 3 months now, since I graduated?smileys/smiley5.gifsmileys/smiley5.gifsmileys/smiley5.gif

The staff there really need to get on the same page with things, because it never should have took me having to contact the campus president several times, along with several other staff members for me to finally be told that, "Okay, you're dropped from the bachelor's program".

jenzshoppin
08-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Lisa, I'm sorry, I don't work for those departments and never heard about these kinds of problems. We have just under 150 Admissions reps and a small team of them (maybe 6) actually might be the ones enrolling for a bachelor's after one graduates from one of our associates degrees.

Did you sign an enrollment form, or some sort of agreement, to be in the bachelor's program? I cannot see how they could do that without you signing something.

I do have a student who SAYS she told me she wanted to cancel her first enrollment before class started, but this is not true. She actually found out she had a small payment while in school, said she was not happy (this is after I got a commitment of a payment up to $150. she could pay just in case she was not totally federally funded, then her payment was below $100. she said she bought a car and could not afford a payment now) , but she said she definatley wanted to stay in school. She then signed into class (that makes you owe some $ for tuition right away) then a month later found a school she liked better and started saying she wanted to cancel all along. She obviously started lying to get out of paying tuition that, by the enrollment agreement she signed, was liable for paying and impossible to get out of. I am sad for her, because I explained this to her and she committed to a payment and she should not have signed into class if she was going to change her mind about schools. This really bums me out that she did this. She is causing herself a lot of headache that she could have avoided by either just staying in our school, or reading her enrollment agreement again before starting class because she forgot about tuition? smileys/smiley5.gif

So, you see how a student can say they want to continue on in school with us then try to back out later. Your admissions rep might have really jumped the gun on you on his mistake, or you gave him the okay verbally or signed a form that gave him the confirmation you wanted to move on. BUT, if you NEVER said you wanted to do the bachelor's program, and never signed a form, then that rep. didn't do right! I know I would not do that, but I cannot speak for everyone! I really hope they didn't do it without you signing something or saying you "yes, I want to start the bachelor's program". I am sorry you had to go through that!!

As for your degree, I have no knowledge of what happened specifically in your situation. I do know that I have spoken to some potential students from other schools that have not been able to get their unofficial transcripts because they owe the school fees for something still. That is the only situationI have heard of from other school for holding a transcript.

jenzshoppin
08-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Lisa,

Oh, I re-read about your degree and it says the school is switching to a new degree style. That explains the hold up. If you call me at the school I would just have to transfer you to whoever does that since I am in Admissions and I don't handle printing degrees. In my previous post I was just telling you what I heard from students from OTHER schools and why transcripts were held, but your situation is totally different, with the printing changing.

I'd love to meet you on the phone, but I really have no weight to pull as far as getting your degree quicker, especially if they are waiting to have them printed in a new style.

Again, I'm sorry you had problems with the school! smileys/smiley9.gif

Unfortunatley, I have heard complaints about ALL SCHOOLS, including DeVry that another poster switched to. None of the schools are perfect. They do need to fix things that are their mistake. Then some things are not thier mistake also. There are complaints about all schools that are both fair and unfair.

Note for all who plan on going to online school:

So, please don't judge Anthem, or any school, on one person's experience. Please lookup your school on the Dept. of Education website and find out the facts!smileys/smiley2.gifEdited by: jenzshoppin

griffin
08-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I understand your postand I am not judging no schoolbase on rumors. I am stating the facts through research. I understand Devry has complaints, but the main reasonI switch to Devry because my major is Health Information Technology (medical billing and coding and others included in this major) andmy major is accredited throughCAHIIM and the school itself isregionally accredited. Unlike Devry, Anthem Collegeassociate in Medical Billing and Coding program is not certified throughCAHIIMnor AHIMA.That is the main reason I switched. If anyone attends a associates degree, certificate program, or a bachlors degreein Medical Billing and Coding, Health Information Technology, or Health Information Manangement, please check through ahima.org for the list of accredited schools.

Edited by: griffin

joshuaswife1996
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
That is what I am going for. So if it is not accredited through CAHIIM or AHIMA what does that mean?

griffin
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
According to my research and speaking to Directors of Medical records in the state of Georgia,some of them told me that they will prefer to take graduates from the programs that are certified through AHIMA or CAHIIM. One of them even told me the course I was suppose to takeand where to go to check and see if the program is certified toAHIMA. I am not saying thatyou not find a job if you took a program that is not certified, but you will have a better chance if you wanta RHIT certification. Most of them stated it does not matter what school you attend and if yourprogram is certified or not, as long as you are certified to do the job and/or have some experience. To sum things up, the school you are attending is fine, but if you want aRHIT or RHIA certification, the school have to be certified through ahima in order for you to take the test for RHIT OR RHIA. In addition, with a RHIT certification, you are able to demand a better payingsalary for the job.Anthem College online cost $20,000 for a nationally accredited associates degreein medical billing and coding programthat is not certified through ahima nor cahiim and will notable to test forthe RHIT certification(still able to obtain other professional coding certifications, just not able to obtain RHITor RHIA). If you just want to be a biller and coder, save you some money and attend a tech school with the same accredidation as Anthem College with way lessprice. If you are getting a really good tuition reimbursement through Anthem, keep attending the school. If you or anyone else has some additional questions to ask, please pm me or check out ahima.org.
Edited by: griffin

Areona'sMOM
08-31-2006, 02:59 AM
So no one out there has attending Jones International university?

They told me they offer academic advising

It read this on thier site

JIU strives to provide you with a rich, interactive experience as a student. We use the Internet, email, telecommunications, and online forums to empower you to communicate quickly with your professors and other students — at a time most convenient for you.

In addition, JIU staff provides online, email, and telephone support to all students. Prior to the beginning of each term, you will participate in an online JIU Orientation. Academic Chairs from both graduate and undergraduate programs direct this orientation, which provides an opportunity for you to get answers to your questions and offers you ways to enhance your academic experience.

When you are admitted as a degree student, you will be assigned an academic advisor, who works closely with you throughout your program to support your progress. Your advisor will assist you in assessing your academic goals and formulating your individualized degree plan. You also may contact your advisor for help in choosing courses, understanding program requirements, policies and procedures, and coordinating interaction with your professors.

With so many classes to choose from, excellent academic advising is essential. JIU advisors are knowledgeable and committed to your success. The two of you will develop a customized degree plan, which will serve as a “roadmap” for you to follow to earn a degree. The sequencing of your courses in the degree plan is available to you electronically. This enables you to access information 24/7 and to always know where you are as you progress toward a degree. Accessible and professional, your advisor will ensure that you receive all the support you need to thrive at JIU. Your success is our success, and your academic advisor is always just an email away.
<DIV id=right>
<DIV id=right_s>Also they have accrediation on thier site.

Jones International University is proud to be the first fully online university in the U.S.to receive regional accreditation. We are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. The Higher Learning Commission is one of the six regional accrediting bodies in the United States and offers the highest form of accreditation available to a university. The Higher Learning Commission may be contacted at www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org (http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/) or by calling 800.621.7440.

In the U.S., accreditation is voluntarily sought by institutions and is conferred by six regional associations, and by several national associations that limit their scope to particular kinds of institutions. An institutional accrediting body evaluates an entire institution in terms of its mission and accredits the institution as a whole. This body reviews more than the educational offerings of the institution; it also assesses such characteristics as governance and administration, financial condition, admissions and student personnel processes, institutional resources, and relationships with outside communities.
<H3>What is the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association? </H3>

The Higher Learning Commission is part of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Association is a not-for-profit, voluntary, membership organization that was founded in 1895 for educational institutions. The Association is one of six regional institutional accrediting associations in the United States. Through its Commissions it accredits, and thereby grants membership to, educational institutions in the 19-state North Central region. The 19 states it serves includes Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming – and Department of Defense Schools and Navajo Nation Schools.

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, based in Chicago, accredits degree-granting institutions of higher education. Its mission is: to establish requirements and criteria for the accreditation of institutions of higher education and accredit institutions found to meet those requirements and criteria; to strengthen educational and institutional quality through its assistance to its affiliated institutions, its evaluation processes and its programs, publications, and research; to advocate and exercise self-regulation in higher education through effective peer review; and to provide the public with accurate information concerning the relationship of affiliated institutions with the Commission.
<H3>What Other Institutions has the Higher Learning Commission Accredited? </H3>

A partial list of the institutions of higher education accredited by the Higher Learning Commission includes The University of Notre Dame, University of Arizona, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, University of Kansas and Ohio State University.
<H3>What is the Value of Institutional Accreditation? </H3>

For members of the public – and especially prospective students — the institutional accreditation provided by the Higher Learning Commission means that the accredited institution meets the Commission’s requirements and criteria and will continue to meet them. Accreditation provides public certification of acceptable institutional quality.
<H3>To Learn More… </H3>

To learn more about the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, visit www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org (http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/)or call 800.621.7440. Written inquiries:30 North LaSalle Street Suite 2400, Chicago, Ill. 60602-2504.

I am unable to find anything negative about them online. So what do you guys think ?

Areona'sMOM
09-01-2006, 05:50 PM
no opinions I am unsure on it.

anca21bi
09-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm currently a college student in my last semester of completing my Bachelors degree. When searching for where I'm going to do my master's I looked at many online college, and basically it was price that narrowed down the decision. Liberty University has alot of great courses you can do all on-line-and they were very affordable, University of Missouri-Columbia has a great online program too. I personnally would not attend Jones International, or any college that is for-profit and un-accredited.

blessedmom4
09-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I attended Liberty University on the Distance Learning program and I really, really loved it. I had no problems other than I thought the advisors could have been friendlier and taken more of an interest in their students.

Areona'sMOM
09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
So no one out there has attending Jones International university?

They told me they offer academic advising

It read this on thier site

JIU strives to provide you with a rich, interactive experience as a student. We use the Internet, email, telecommunications, and online forums to empower you to communicate quickly with your professors and other students — at a time most convenient for you.

In addition, JIU staff provides online, email, and telephone support to all students. Prior to the beginning of each term, you will participate in an online JIU Orientation. Academic Chairs from both graduate and undergraduate programs direct this orientation, which provides an opportunity for you to get answers to your questions and offers you ways to enhance your academic experience.

When you are admitted as a degree student, you will be assigned an academic advisor, who works closely with you throughout your program to support your progress. Your advisor will assist you in assessing your academic goals and formulating your individualized degree plan. You also may contact your advisor for help in choosing courses, understanding program requirements, policies and procedures, and coordinating interaction with your professors.

With so many classes to choose from, excellent academic advising is essential. JIU advisors are knowledgeable and committed to your success. The two of you will develop a customized degree plan, which will serve as a “roadmap” for you to follow to earn a degree. The sequencing of your courses in the degree plan is available to you electronically. This enables you to access information 24/7 and to always know where you are as you progress toward a degree. Accessible and professional, your advisor will ensure that you receive all the support you need to thrive at JIU. Your success is our success, and your academic advisor is always just an email away.
<DIV id=right>
<DIV id=right_s>Also they have accrediation on thier site.

Jones International University is proud to be the first fully online university in the U.S.to receive regional accreditation. We are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. The Higher Learning Commission is one of the six regional accrediting bodies in the United States and offers the highest form of accreditation available to a university. The Higher Learning Commission may be contacted at www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org (http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/) or by calling 800.621.7440.

In the U.S., accreditation is voluntarily sought by institutions and is conferred by six regional associations, and by several national associations that limit their scope to particular kinds of institutions. An institutional accrediting body evaluates an entire institution in terms of its mission and accredits the institution as a whole. This body reviews more than the educational offerings of the institution; it also assesses such characteristics as governance and administration, financial condition, admissions and student personnel processes, institutional resources, and relationships with outside communities.
<H3>What is the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association? </H3>

The Higher Learning Commission is part of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Association is a not-for-profit, voluntary, membership organization that was founded in 1895 for educational institutions. The Association is one of six regional institutional accrediting associations in the United States. Through its Commissions it accredits, and thereby grants membership to, educational institutions in the 19-state North Central region. The 19 states it serves includes Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming – and Department of Defense Schools and Navajo Nation Schools.

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, based in Chicago, accredits degree-granting institutions of higher education. Its mission is: to establish requirements and criteria for the accreditation of institutions of higher education and accredit institutions found to meet those requirements and criteria; to strengthen educational and institutional quality through its assistance to its affiliated institutions, its evaluation processes and its programs, publications, and research; to advocate and exercise self-regulation in higher education through effective peer review; and to provide the public with accurate information concerning the relationship of affiliated institutions with the Commission.
<H3>What Other Institutions has the Higher Learning Commission Accredited? </H3>

A partial list of the institutions of higher education accredited by the Higher Learning Commission includes The University of Notre Dame, University of Arizona, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, University of Kansas and Ohio State University.
<H3>What is the Value of Institutional Accreditation? </H3>

For members of the public – and especially prospective students — the institutional accreditation provided by the Higher Learning Commission means that the accredited institution meets the Commission’s requirements and criteria and will continue to meet them. Accreditation provides public certification of acceptable institutional quality.
<H3>To Learn More… </H3>

To learn more about the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, visit www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org (http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/)or call 800.621.7440. Written inquiries:30 North LaSalle Street Suite 2400, Chicago, Ill. 60602-2504.

I am unable to find anything negative about them online. So what do you guys think ?

I wanted to see if this was a strong accrediation.I truly don't want to attend ITT because family members had problems with them in the past.Also as far as local colleges .You can only do online courses after having an associates.Which I currently don't have.

griffin
09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
You can attend online college without an associates degree.You may need to do a little more digging. I just wanted to respondabout the comments for profit universities. There are several great for profit and regionally accredited universities out there. Somefor profit maybe cost effective and/or offer more financial assistance. Devry is a for profit university, but their credits are transferable to most of the traditional schools inGeorgia.And they offer many great financial options if qualify. There is nothing wrong withlearning at a for-profit university, just make sure it is regionally accredited and/or the programsare accredited.