WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

funmomma
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi All,
I was driving home in the rain and had an idea about something and thought I would get some feedback here from my fellow WAHMers.
When you hear "award winning educational games" or "educational games" - what immediately comes to mind for you? What's your gut response? I'll take the good & the bad please. Looking to have a little insight from someone outside of my head. Thanks! :D

Amanda

omahamom
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
To me it means something where the players are going to learn something, whether it be spelling, math, etc. It also signifies to me that it is geared towards children. Maybe families and children, but definitely not an adult game.

Leanne McGarr
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi All,
I was driving home in the rain and had an idea about something and thought I would get some feedback here from my fellow WAHMers.
When you hear "award winning educational games" or "educational games" - what immediately comes to mind for you? What's your gut response? I'll take the good & the bad please. Looking to have a little insight from someone outside of my head. Thanks! :D

Amanda

The first thing that came to mind is that it will be trivia or questions. i remember my Mom got us some playing cards one time that had famous authors on it with their pictures. I never remembered anything they wrote but I did remember their names and pictures.

I like Trivia games and if a child is going to play a game, it might as well be educational and stimulating. I think positively. Now, kids, they probably just need to hear the word "game" :)

Chouette333
03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Yes, I definately think of children's or family games. Also, I don't know if I can explain it, but I think of something you buy at a specialty store like zany brainy or such. I mean most games like you would buy at walmart for kids and toddlers, are educational in some way but the award-winning part makes it seem better. I also picture them as higher quality, built to last with wood or metal pieces instead of plastic.

funmomma
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Yes, at booths I routinely have people walk by and say "Oh, I don't have little kids at home anymore." I then tell them we have great family and party games for adults too, we need to laugh and have fun too and they will often come back to give us a look.

I know some SimplyFun consultants lead with our educational games and while we do have amazing games to help kids with math, sequencing, grammar, finances, vocabulary, strategy, quick thinking, fine motor skills,etc..... they don't play like games you usually find in a teacher's type store and like omahamom mentioned they seem to think it's just for kids. Our award winning games aren't just the educational ones either.

Leanne, that's very cool that that game is still in your memories so many years later! I have wonderful memories of play games with my Great Grandma. What's funny is we only have 2 trivia games out of our 75+ and growing line. And yes, our kids just want to play with us. They want to laugh, have fun and know that they're important to us because we take the time to play with them... so simple with a quick game.

Chouette, Yes, we are a higher quality and I am proud that SimplyFun submits our games to be considered for awards - and we win them. We won 11 awards last year and have already won 6 this year. I am glad to hear that it means something to potential customers too.

I have tried summing SimlyFun up as a line of award winning family, party and educational games for kids through adults, that can be played in 30 minutes or less. I feel like teachers and homeschooling moms hear educational and are excited and some parents might think it's too much like homework;) which these games are not. Everyone's responses have given me a lot to think about. Thanks again!

Amanda