WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : SOC for Writers?

mamawriter
03-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I am a writer and I love to write my own cards.
I also am quite good at photography.

Would getting involved on the business end of Send Out Cards be of any benefit to me if I wanted to write and sell greeting cards?

dawnmo
03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi there!

Now that SendOutCards has a bulk card option (50 cards for $31+shipping) you could create your own cards and sell them by the pack or box. You could actually do this as a customer or a distributor.

I have a friend who is an artist and owns a gallery. She is going to create cards of her art work and sell them at shows and at her gallery. She also sees the possibility of creating prints (through the SOC photo store) of her work to sell since her originals are fairly expensive.

I'm sure others will chime in with some additional ideas.

Dawn :)

mamawriter
03-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey Dawn,

Thanks for the response, it is very helpful.

Like I said, I am a writer and I do like to mess around with photography. So I wasn't sure if this was a way that I could create my own cards and sell them to those interested or if it was just a way to sell cards that people create on their own....

About your friend who does artwork...that is a great idea to use SOC to create less expensive prints! Does she set her own prices on the cards of her prints that she sells?

dawnmo
03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
She hasn't started it yet, but what I expect she will do is purchase a few boxes of cards - each with a different print, and them bundle them in a pack of mixed prints to sell.

mamawriter
03-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks again for the info. I am going to check into this some more. This is exciting for me...I have ALWAYS loved creating my own verse and rhyme for greeting cards.

mlmblonde
03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
If you like writing and being creative SOC would be a great fit for you. Dawn could help you set up an account and show you around. She's very helpful

wealthworld
03-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Just as an extra "aside": SOC also holds a competition each year (I believe) for Members who create greeting cards. Might be good experience to see how your designs compare to other Member's designs. Its a fun competition.

SincerelyPariah
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Hello! I'm new to SOC but partially joined because I am a photographer and graphic designer and I'm really excited to print my cards through SOC instead of doing them on my own the way I have been. I'm not much of a writer but I have a close friend who is and I've thought of collaborating and sharing any profit with him.

brooklynbaba
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
That's such a good idea that Dawn had. I noticed how SOC had the bulk card option. I would have never thought to tell some one of this option to create their own cards in bulk and resell them. Nice.

DebraFerrie
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi there!

Now that SendOutCards has a bulk card option (50 cards for $31+shipping) you could create your own cards and sell them by the pack or box. You could actually do this as a customer or a distributor.

Dawn :)

I think THAT is a fabulous idea! I am a writer on some Long Island sites and have many pictures I've taken of beaches here...I'd love to add some verse and sell them at the Holidays or even just use as MY personal Christmas cards.