WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

copydiva
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
My organizational skills will be put to work next week. Normally I try to get as much work completed as possible before a school break. Wellllll, pre-k has extra weeks off this year and I totally blanked that my 5 year old will be out of school next week. AND I just agreed to have this big project finished by next Friday.

The one good thing is that I will make all of the other kids take the bus so I will just have to manage eating times and taking more breaks during the day. I usually work non-stop and grab something to eat on the way to pick the kids up from school.

Oh did I mention that his teacher wants me to help him work on his sight words for reading? :eek:

I'll let you know how it turns out. :D

rjweaver10
03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Neither one of my kids are in school. One is almost 3 and the other is 1. SO you just take it a day at a time. I would make them have quiet time while you are at home. Explain to them that you are working and you cannot cater to their every whim.

Kiernansmom
03-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah, my son is 17 months, so he is with me all day! I just make sure I have lots of toys and snacks around my desk, and then I also write during his nap time and when he goes to bed at night. Sometimes I can take my laptop to the family room to write while he watches sesame street. It means I get maybe 5 hours of work done within 15 hours throughout the day, lol. It's challenging, but it's possible to make a living doing it. I can't wait for the relief school will bring me though, lol. Having 5 or 6 hours to write with no kids around would be amazing.

beanandpumpkin
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
We homeschool, but my kids are big (11 and almost 9), so they're able to keep themselves out of trouble while I work. Well, most of the time! ;) If I had a little one, I'd probably try to get him out of the house early in the morning, like 9:00. Go to the park or a playdate or let him run around in the tubes at McDonalds (you could even bring your laptop to McD's and get a bit of work done). If you can't get out, then spend some time playing with him so he'll be happy to entertain himself later. Then set him up on the couch for some quiet time (put on a kids movie if you need to) after lunch, and work work work for an hour or two. You could also work after he goes to bed. Have your husband take the kids out for ice cream after dinner one night, or even to see a movie or something, so you can get some work done before it gets too late.

You can do it!

copydiva
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Normally I don't have a problem but this week is more work than normal. Being able to work without kids at home is great. The playdate idea is good because he has a new best friend from his preschool and he never gets to have friends over;

JillyV
03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
You need a door. Anyone who works at home and seriously wants to get something done needs a room with a door that can be shut and isolate the space from the rest of the chaos. This is also what makes a home office space for tax purposes.

I have that, but I don't use it, because I like to know what my kids are doing. When the kids are out of school, I enroll them in stuff to keep them busy and use the afternoon quiet time to work. I don't have much of a work ethic lately, and my work is pretty portable. My main gig is writing book reviews. I can read a book while sitting at swim lessons or soccer practice.

Something else you can do is get out of the house to write when you have childcare/spouse to take over. I am much more productive at a coffee shop or library than I am at home when dishes are calling to me. I can pound them out when sitting in a coffee shop with my laptop.

MalloryObKnoxious
03-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Duct Tape.

yack
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
My kids are home all the but I would recommend working early/late while the kids are asleep, inviting friends over for a few hours at a time to keep them company, and using a laptop so you can work alongside the children playing. Good luck.