WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What is the best way to respond?

HomeBizHope
02-27-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm hoping for some input here about what you say to a person who you present your company or opportunity to but who gives you a flat no?

I'm especially looking for advice from people who are not asking their prospects to spend extra money out of pocket for an item, but attempting to help them buy smarter or better products (I'm open to all ideas though).

The reason I'm asking is that I feel like I'm helping a person when I present my business: I'm not asking them to spend additional money, and I can actually help them save money - but people STILL tell me NO! :(

How should I respond to them "KINDLY," and obviously without ruining a friendship, which lets them off the hook and doesn't give them a "duh, that's a dumb choice" vibe?! Anyone have a great "I'm letting you off the hook" comeback? I would love to hear it if you do! ;)

Thanks so much for your help!

Lori in NY
;)

FreeElectricity
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Lori,

As you know you and I are in the same business and actually, I prefer that someone tell me no than to string me along because they are afraid to tell me no. Have you ever heard National Consultant, Ray Montie speak at a training? He says that if they are not interested in the business you will then turn them into a customer. That is generally simple enough because you are saving them money and it costs them nothing to switch. There are a handful who even then will not do that, which is hurtful when it's family and friends but you have to develop that shell and just say "next" in your head and go on to the next person.

So, new customer or next!

Join my Ambit Social Group on here and we can chat more about things like that there! :-)

Theresa

HomeBizHope
02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Theresa,

That's what really gets my goat - when they won't even become a customer! And they are supposedly a friend? :(

That's why I need to have something in my "toolbox of comebacks" so that I don't say something hurtful! What do you actually say to let a friend off the hook?

Hi Lori,
There are a handful who even then will not do that, which is hurtful when it's family and friends but you have to develop that shell and just say "next" in your head and go on to the next person.

Cornelius
02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
If they say no then just ask if you can email them some information every now and then. Get the email and then just move on.. Just because people are friends doesn't mean they have to do business with you. There are millions of other potential customers in the market place so a few people aren't going to make that big of a difference. It's best to draw a line when it comes to business and family and friends. If they sat no, then respect the no..

seattlejan
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Theresa,

That's what really gets my goat - when they won't even become a customer! And they are supposedly a friend? :(

That's why I need to have something in my "toolbox of comebacks" so that I don't say something hurtful! What do you actually say to let a friend off the hook?

Sorry, but I don't want "friends" who think friendship means I have to buy stuff from them. What's more important to you - the friendship or the sale?

I fail to see why you'd even want to say something hurtful. Buying decisions are individual choices that have nothing to do with TRUE friendship.

maryalene
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Sorry, but I don't want "friends" who think friendship means I have to buy stuff from them. What's more important to you - the friendship or the sale?

I fail to see why you'd even want to say something hurtful. Buying decisions are individual choices that have nothing to do with TRUE friendship.

Agreed. I think the best thing to do is to say, 'Ok, well if you change your mind, you know where to find me!'

shmerns
02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I think the best way you can show them it will benefit them is to show proof.

Do you have proof of the money you are saving? Or the savings you are benefiting from?

If so, create a facebook fanpage or web page and send it to your friends and prospects for
social proof. Many times they will chase you to join up, saying "I need that too."

If you don't personally have social proof, ask your upline, but never pass it off as your
own. Just use it for proof that your biz works.

I hope this helps.

Lori :)

FreeElectricity
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
It is hurtful when people that love and trust you don't do something as simple as switching their electric supplier to save THEM money and help you in your business. I struggled to get my first 4 customers, but after that it started coming easier and easier. People needed time to think about it and to see if this was something I was really going to stick with, to see if others that had signed up with me would get shafted and to feel secure about their decision. You know, my own father still won't sign up today...because he says it's a pyramid scheme. LOL

The longer you stay with it, the more likely you will be to start getting more and more customers. I have now signed up over 25 personally and have given away 20-30 to my consultants. And now that small commercial businesses can do it too! It's even easier! But I have been doing this for 18 months and have been to lots of trainings and on lots of webinars and calls and it takes honing to do this and not show your emotion. Keep a smile on your face, show confidence in your business and keep going! You can do this!!

LorettaA
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree with Maryalene. They know where to find you if they change their mind. Some people just cannot see things the way others do. They just don't have the mindset and it's kind of a waste of your time and energy to concentrate on them.

Let them observe and come to you when they are ready.

malea
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't direclty ask friends or family tojoin my business because I don't want any hard feelings...I do let them know what I am doing and then leave it...if they want to join with me..they know where to find me.If a person that I have prospected online tells me "no" I will ask them if I can add them to my email list...It is automated so it doesn't take any extra energy or time on my part.

HomeBizHope
02-28-2012, 07:47 AM
I appreciate the encouraging comments about how to respond to my friends. :) I certainly DON'T want to ruin any friendships, that's why I put this out there. I'm not selling anything in my business (I help people save money actually), so it's only hurting my friends when they don't become a customer.

I know that I would help someone out in a similar situation - it's a win-win, ya know? So it's just hard for me to understand why a friend would turn me down. I guess I'm too sensitive! :o I just needed ideas so I had something more to say then, "Oh, OK..." (embarrassing silence)!

I love the idea of asking to continue contacting them! I will use this in the future! I will also look for the letter that shows how much I save, so I have the proof in hand when I go talk to people. I think this will work for me with the cold market too, which is what I'm planning to work now.

Again, thanks for your help! ;)

Cornelius
02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Something to understand is you are selling something and that's how people see it. then again just because something is cheaper doesn't mean to the person it brings better value.

Take something like McDonald's McDouble. It cost $1.00 but people still buy other burgers. The we aren't selling anything is something companies say to get by the fact most people don't want to sell anything. It's just basically a physiological thing. If something is offered and there's compensation involved it's sales.

What your dealing with most everyone goes through. You just have to understand in business it's some will, some won't, so what? Move on to the next person. You have to "sell" the value of what you are proposing be it the product and/or the opportunity. If some people don't see it or want it people have the right to say no thank you.. Just remember there's a good chance even though they may have said no they are still watching. So in many cases no today doesn't mean never.

TheGoingGreenTeam
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I think Lori says it well.

I use FB but I don't overload my timeline with too much advertising. Be their friend, share your successes, and show them how it could benefit them. If it's meant to be they'll come around, if not, don't guilt them.

Allison :)

I think the best way you can show them it will benefit them is to show proof.

Do you have proof of the money you are saving? Or the savings you are benefiting from?

If so, create a facebook fanpage or web page and send it to your friends and prospects for
social proof. Many times they will chase you to join up, saying "I need that too."

If you don't personally have social proof, ask your upline, but never pass it off as your
own. Just use it for proof that your biz works.

I hope this helps.

Lori :)

HomeBizHope
03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

tburton
03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
When you get started in any business friends & family members are usually the worst ones to try to do business with! They don't see the big picture the way you may see it so when you try talking & explaining things to them it sounds like GREEK.

So you have to be careful because you don't want to run them off by talking about your business opportunity or products too much.

What I recommend you do is maybe start a meetup group, do different events by joining
websites like biznik.com, networking & friending others & inviting them to events that you have put together. You'd be surprised at how you can take small steps now that lead to success down the road.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas & help you out some.

coloradowahm
03-11-2012, 10:09 AM
For me and what I also suggest to my team is really that we find people who have a need for what we have. If our products can benefit them in some way. I am in the health and nutritional field so I ask questions and find out what improving their current situation would mean to them, etc and seeing if we have a fit. There are so many people in this world that we all can help with all of our products and services and it's really about finding those that can use the benefits that our product or service offers. If not, it's not about convincing them, it's about finding the next person.....they are out there and a LOT of them!