WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Getting Dog Ready for Baby

rosemary12
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to get my miniature poodle ready for our coming baby. She already doesn't really like kids as it is.. unfortunately we just got a new kitten in November and exactly one week later found out that we're expecting! And.... That's when her behavior problems started. She went from being completely housetrained to using the hallway as a Portugal! It's been super frustrating but slowly improving.. I'm just worried about how she will be when the baby is here.

So my question is.. has anyone else out there had success with their dog adjusting to the baby? Any tips?

rosemary12
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Haha, my phone autocorrected and said PORTUGAL instead of POTTY :o. My bad!!!

Amy Jacobs
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I have 2 puggles my baby is now 1. Its an adjustment for them for sure when we first brought her home they were so interested in her (trying to figure out what that thing is) now shes walking and likes to hit at them play in the dog food dump out the water play with the dog toys etc.. your going to have your hands full mama.

My dogs just basically let her do what she wants (LOL) they go around her annoyed.

EcoConsciousMom
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I wish you the best of luck.

I have a Golden Retriever, he's almost 9 years old now and my baby girl is 14 months old. We knew we were going to have kids so we trained him to not jump up, etc to make it easier. He has proved to be a great dog for her. She is always crawling on him.

I was worried about my parents dogs (not trained AT ALL). They are two of his brothers, so large Golden Retrievers. They are all around 100 pounds.

When our daughter was around them the first time they were great and avoided her. Or were very sweet and gentle - wanting to play. She was only 6 months old at the time.

Your dog might surprise you. Just wanted to let you know my personal experience in case it helped.

msuggitt
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Sounds like one for the Dog Whisperer, I'm sure he's addressed the very same issue in the past. Maybe, you can find something within his site.

Sounds exciting with all of the growth and changes, I'm sure the dog doesn't want to get left behind or feel left out.;)

HomeBusinessTrainer
03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I have 2 dogs.. one loves kids and the other growls. Very weird but I can't break the habit so I feel for your concern. Best thing to do is get them around kids and reward them constantly. They will forget about the kids and get used to it. I haven't gotten 100% satisfactory results with this but it does tend to be working somewhat.