WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Do You Think This is Legit?

utag97
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm usually pretty good about detecting scams, and this one is making me a bit uneasy. I replied to a craigslist ad that seemed legit. Then, I got this reply back, within an hour or two, with these instructions. The "editor" wants a sample article on the topic of her choosing in a very specific format. Also, there are some errors in the email that make me doubtful that this person is an editor. Also, there's no company name or contact info. other than this email. Hmmm. It makes me think I would be supplying someone with a free article. What do you think?

Thank you for taking time and replying to our Craigslist ad. My name is Julia Mourdid and I'm an editor working for a small family-owned web marketing consulting company, based in Tampa Bay area. We are working with several clients as well as we do home-grown projects on blog and magazine type web content and by far we employ services of several copywriters on 1099-contract basis, designers and editorial crew. Our client base has recently expanded and we are looking to expand our copywriting group. As you already know from our ad we cover pretty broad range of topics, so we have fit for every writing skill. We have already hired a couple of copywriters but we still need more to cover more areas.

We are looking to hire a freelance writer/ blogger to work from home on a contract basis and provide them with 50-60 article topics per month with already prepared keywords. I supply copywriters with all the necessary writing guidelines and train them how to use keywords in articles. Once all the articles are submitted and necessary corrections made, I review them and we issue payments via Pay Pal which is convenient and fast. The pay rate we are offering right now for this type of articles is $5.00-$10 per article consisting of 350-750 words. For this opportunity we are not looking for professional writers but rather individuals who are passionate about writing and are looking to earn some extra money working from home.

At this point we experience an urgent need for a writer covering our Travel topics, is this something you are interested in writing about? If yes, below I'm providing you with a sample/ test article on the subject. A sample/ test article t is intended purely for screening purposes. It's not to be published or compensated for. If you are interested, below you will find some very basic guidelines we ask our copywriters to adhere to when writing our articles. Once you complete the test article, please forward it to me for review and I will let you know as soon as possible where we stand on the project.

Web articles should contain a minimum of 350 words and all the given keywords. Please use a primary keyword 4 times across the article content, secondary keywords - ONLY ONCE each and not following one another. Please highlight primary keywords with light pink color and secondary with yellow so they distinctly stand out for verification and publishing purposes. If your article topic says Top 10...., make sure the article does contain a list of 10 requested items. Please insert links of 2-3 web sources you used for researching the article at the bottom of your work.

rjweaver10
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm usually pretty good about detecting scams, and this one is making me a bit uneasy. I replied to a craigslist ad that seemed legit. Then, I got this reply back, within an hour or two, with these instructions. The "editor" wants a sample article on the topic of her choosing in a very specific format. Also, there are some errors in the email that make me doubtful that this person is an editor. Also, there's no company name or contact info. other than this email. Hmmm. It makes me think I would be supplying someone with a free article. What do you think?

Thank you for taking time and replying to our Craigslist ad. My name is Julia Mourdid and I'm an editor working for a small family-owned web marketing consulting company, based in Tampa Bay area. We are working with several clients as well as we do home-grown projects on blog and magazine type web content and by far we employ services of several copywriters on 1099-contract basis, designers and editorial crew. Our client base has recently expanded and we are looking to expand our copywriting group. As you already know from our ad we cover pretty broad range of topics, so we have fit for every writing skill. We have already hired a couple of copywriters but we still need more to cover more areas.

We are looking to hire a freelance writer/ blogger to work from home on a contract basis and provide them with 50-60 article topics per month with already prepared keywords. I supply copywriters with all the necessary writing guidelines and train them how to use keywords in articles. Once all the articles are submitted and necessary corrections made, I review them and we issue payments via Pay Pal which is convenient and fast. The pay rate we are offering right now for this type of articles is $5.00-$10 per article consisting of 350-750 words. For this opportunity we are not looking for professional writers but rather individuals who are passionate about writing and are looking to earn some extra money working from home.

At this point we experience an urgent need for a writer covering our Travel topics, is this something you are interested in writing about? If yes, below I'm providing you with a sample/ test article on the subject. A sample/ test article t is intended purely for screening purposes. It's not to be published or compensated for. If you are interested, below you will find some very basic guidelines we ask our copywriters to adhere to when writing our articles. Once you complete the test article, please forward it to me for review and I will let you know as soon as possible where we stand on the project.

Web articles should contain a minimum of 350 words and all the given keywords. Please use a primary keyword 4 times across the article content, secondary keywords - ONLY ONCE each and not following one another. Please highlight primary keywords with light pink color and secondary with yellow so they distinctly stand out for verification and publishing purposes. If your article topic says Top 10...., make sure the article does contain a list of 10 requested items. Please insert links of 2-3 web sources you used for researching the article at the bottom of your work.

Sounds like they want some free articles...

Brandi
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't tell. The email sounds legitimate, but her writing is terrible. I don't write free custom samples, though, so I personally would stay away.

Jonelle
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
It is hard to tell. The company isn't looking for "professional" writers, so perhaps this editor isn't professional either?

I might consider applying if I had already written an article that I could use as a sample, and if those rates were acceptable to me.

utag97
02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm not going any further with this application. I would never commit myself to bulk monthly orders at those rates with no chance of advancement. Plus, I'm not a travel writer, so the research would take up too much of my time.

I just wanted to see if other people read it and felt it was somewhat scammy, too.

Craigslist is an interesting place. I've picked up a couple of good writing gigs on there. Then, I run into things like this.

If anyone is interested in applying to the ad, I think it was on the San Antonio, TX craigslist under either writing/editing or writing gigs a couple of days ago. Just keep in mind it might not be a good lead.

JCjohnson
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
My niece works for them so they are legit.

inkkognito
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I get a bad vibe from two things:

1) The ad sounds very ESOL or just not right in its syntax.

2) It's pretty rare that an ad for a business would say they don't want professionals. Passion doesn't equal good writing skills.

The free article thing is what would send me over the edge (or send me running).

JCjohnson
07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I just wanted to say thank you!

I actually responded to this ad that so many were skeptical about and have received steady work since February.

I began receiving small batches of 25 articles and quickly moved up to 60 per month.

They pay within 24 hours of submitting the final article.

So, you see, they are legit after all. :)

Take care.

AG1976
07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Congrats! FWIW, I don't think that the ad appeared to be scammy.