WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

jamberry divas
02-06-2012, 02:59 AM
I love Jamberry nails and i think it is important to sell something you love and it will sell itself:) There are alot of things i could never sell because if i dont care for it that much how can I geet people to buy it I think you have to have fun and passion in what you sell

PinkZebraSteph
02-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I agree! It's great to find a company you love :0) I love my company and it makes it so much easier to sell something you love and it makes it even better when the product sells itself :0)

Leanne McGarr
02-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I love Jamberry nails and i think it is important to sell something you love and it will sell itself:) There are alot of things i could never sell because if i dont care for it that much how can I geet people to buy it I think you have to have fun and passion in what you sell

I agree that you have to be excited by what you have to offer but also it is important to find a product that appeals to others. With any product, there is generally a target market. But if you have a product that appeals to many different types of people then that target market is much larger. Of course, there isn't a product that will appeal to everyone so we all have to sort through people to find our market.

Example: Skin Care. Some women will spend a good bit of money to keep their skin young looking and some women won't. If you sell skin care, your job is to find those that value their skin and are willing to pay for good quality products. I am one of those women by the way. I feel like you only have one face, better take care of it. But my mother and MIL will not buy anything that is more than $10 when it comes to skin care. No matter how much a consultant loves and believes in her product, she will probably never sell skin care to my Mother or those like her. She has to find someone like me.

I agree also that there are products that wouldn't appeal to me to sell BUT I know that those products appeal to alot of other people. That is the great thing about Direct Sales. Something for everyone!

Once you find that fit though, you are right. It just makes things so much easier and fun!

jandamom
02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I tell people all the time to go with your heart when choosing a company. Some people get bogged down in the minutae when looking at possible opportunities and miss the most important ingredient--passion!

If you have a passion about your company and really believe in its products, that can take you really far in this business!

kbroach
02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I signed up to sell the first products that I absolutely fell in love with. If a friend had introduced me to these products I would be thanking her all the time! I want so much to bring that to other people, but I am worried now that people won't be as receptive as I might be. I haven't really fully "launched" yet, but any tips for making the most effective launch? Should I focus on selling or building a team?

funmomma
02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Kbroach,
Congrats on your new business! First of all, know that "some will, some won't, next!" You fell in love with your line and others will too, you just have to find the ones that want what you are sharing like you did.
As for what you should focus on - I think the 3 things to focus on with any DS business is bookings, sales and recruits: equaly. You need bookings to meet new circles of people to sell & recruit, you need sales to make an income and show your team you can make an income doing this and you need to recruit to build a stronger/wider business. I personally think if you only focus on one or 2 of the 3 activities then it's like a tricycle missing a tire (or 2).... it just doesn't roll along like it's meant too. :)
Talk to your sponsor about how they suggest you lauch your business the best. Usually they encourage 2 personal launch parties and that you book another 4 parties in your first 30 days to get off to a stong start. Follow your company's plan - they should have it down to a science for you.

to the OP - I agree it's important to find something you're passionate about because that's what's going to keep you making the phone calls, doing the customer service, helping your team, etc. But like Leanne said, no product will appeal to everyone. It's all about finding who's going to love what you have to share with them.

Amanda

TeacherMama
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I could never sell those erotic toys...I would blush and stammer the whole time. lol

DebraFerrie
02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
After being with 2 companies I LIKED a lot, I now see the big difference in being with a company I LOVE!

On top of that, I feel team is so important.

In my other companies I was either on my own or had a little support from 1 or 2 people, now I'm jammin with a group of amazing people who are all so supportive and encouraging of one another, that it's just awesome!

Have a fantastic day!

AprioriCandy
02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
I love everyone's posts!

I agree with all - you need innovative products that you love, leaders (corporate and team) who are encouraging and supportive, and an easy way to create income.

If you have all three, your business building efforts will come from your passion for your products, your company and those you serve. It will make it easy and fun to build relationships and serve your customers!

I love Apriori Beauty for all of these reasons and so much more!
Best wishes for everyone's success!
Candy

avonlady916
02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I did two other companies before I found the one Im in with now.

You will KNOW when its the perfect fit as it becomes easy and exciting to do on a daily basis. This is it for me.

Of the other two, one went belly up when I was just starting to make a decent income (so look for a company that has been around long enough that you know it wont die on you) ... and the other had such high shipping costs that I could not keep my customer base.

Really do your research. Im now with a company that has been in business for 125years and that I honestly am proud to be associated with.
As I said. Perfect fit!

Bonnie

GIFTSBYCATHERIN
02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Great topic...I LOVE my new business with Perfectly Posh and am very excited with our future. I love spa products and am very passionate to offer people spa quality products. I love how our products are so giftable as well, which makes it fun to be creative with gifting and packaging ideas.

Love sharing Posh,
Catherine

nrsgina
02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
After looking for something more than a product, I found a purspose! I LOVE the training and becoming and aromatherapist and making money doing it. I have proved to myself that doing what you love the money will follow...seriously. I am no longer struggling with a comfort zone, my product makes me comfortable. I do not have to do parties unless I want to create on my own. I don't sell anything, I introduce others to their own account, amazing training and duplicating themselves and that alone is a relief to me.
Plus, health and wealth, you can't beat it!

After a long journey, I am home, along with the largest downline that were the easiest to obtain ever.

Take a look at my links, so much to learn there, and we do free samples, gives a great idea of the certified therapuetic grade line we offer.
Thanks, Gina

sparklegirl
02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I agree with everybody else, that you need to love the product you represent in order to share it. I also think that in addition to loving your product you have to go by your vision, that moves you to share a product and live by that vision leading by example. If you have that vision centered in your heart, you will connect deeper with people and they will love you more than the product itself.

I love being a jeweler with Fifth Avenue Collection and I personally think it's the most beautiful jewelry in the world, but everything changed for better when I started putting my vision first and then the product. Good luck.

Bobbi Cornell
02-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I never imagined myself doing direct sales. But I went to a party and tried out a product that actually lived up to the hype. Jamberry Nails. After a week of people constantly asking me about my nails when I was wearing them, I knew I could easily sell them. I love it, too! I could never do this if I didn't love and believe in the product. Getting In on the ground floor made a huge difference to me also.

cheryllynn
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Nerium AD! Is an amazing company and they are so supportive of everyone! I love this company.

SuzeeQue
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
I just joined Pampered Chef and I am simply amazed at the support and training available. After two previous companies without success, PC has been so supportive and encouraging. My recruiter is almost as new as I am, but our next level up is a national executive director and the trainings available to our team are just incredible. I am excited to get started!

empoweredmom
02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Absolutely. Its so easy when you love the products. when people see you wear them or ask about your fragrance, skincare, etc., it kind of sells itself. I like to see it as "sharing" what I love and not "selling". Some of us aren't the home parties type, so its great to be able to have other avenues to share your products.

Cornelius
02-27-2012, 03:32 AM
I'm kind of split on this subject. i used to think that way until I ran into a non-compete clause in my associate agreement when I left a company. I loved the product(s) and would defend the company against anyone but when I decided to leave they informed me per a legal letter that it was business.

So now my consideration is if people love their company they also have to consider if their company loves them? It's all good until one party wants to make a split and then it becomes business and companies will inform you of their rights.

Yet with all that said I see were people are coming from.

Leanne McGarr
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm kind of split on this subject. i used to think that way until I ran into a non-compete clause in my associate agreement when I left a company. I loved the product(s) and would defend the company against anyone but when I decided to leave they informed me per a legal letter that it was business.

So now my consideration is if people love their company they also have to consider if their company loves them? It's all good until one party wants to make a split and then it becomes business and companies will inform you of their rights.

Yet with all that said I see were people are coming from.

I understand where you are coming from. I think people come into direct sales and they forget that ultimately, you have to realize that this is a business from all sides. A company should focus on keeping their consultants happy and give them to the best tools to be productive. Essentially by doing this, the company will do well also. Many companies lose track of that and begin to view their consultants as sources of income just like a customer. They start to get the feeling that the consultants should be grateful that they are a consultant instead of the other way around. This is one of the reasons I am so comfortable with Thirty One. I beleive they genuinely care about their consultants. However, that doesn't mean that they can forget that they run a business either. I think Thirty One also has a clause that you can't sell the same type item for 6 months or something like that. This is just a logical type clause that many business who have contracts with their employees have. Companies who have provided training and product and sales systems don't want you jumping ship and taking that knowledge and customers with you.

I see it from all sides really. It is a business. You just have to find a company that you feel is trustworthy enough to realize your value as a consultant.

JMO :)
Leanne

versativadiva
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I could never sell those erotic toys...I would blush and stammer the whole time. lol

I had to laugh at this one. I figured I would have to put a paper bag over my head. I have thought about it but figured I would be too embarrassed. I guess the ones that can do it have a very healthy sex attitude and high self esteem. Most of us in these businesses have a good self esteem or we wouldn't try it even,but I don't think I have a healthy attitude about sex or something or I am just well embarrassed. I would probably start giggling or something lol The commissions are always good though!

JodiO
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
I agree. I never thought I'd even consider doing doing direct sales since my previous employment has been mainly working out of corporate offices, but I fell in love with the product! For me it was also a bit shocking since I never really was a jewelry person before I found out about these lockets and now I can't imagine not wearing it. The response has been really great and several people actually come up to me and ask me about where I got it as I'm out and about. I'm really excited about this opportunity and the other team members have been really supportive and helpful, especially to us new to the business.