WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

shall
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi All!
I've got two dogs - one a puggle who is as mellow as can be and the other a yorkie-pom whose is about 8 lbs. and not your typical little lap dog. She loves the outside and running around the yard. Once she gets outside she runs and plays, but if she sees another dog (through the fence) or sees a squirrel she runs back and forth from tree to tree and constantly barks! I have a hard time getting her in once she's seen a dog or squirrel. I've started taking her out on a leash (especially early in the morning). Any other suggestions on how to curb the barking?

msuggitt
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Haha, I could have written that post. Let me know what you find out. My dog is totally obsessed with squirrels, even to the point of ignoring treats or even cats batting his tail.

He would rather watch the squirrels than do almost anything else in the world, happy as a clam sitting outside watching them for hours.

4youngskin
03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Well this is how I trained my boys to not bark at anything and believe me they don't!! The fact that your taking them out on a leash is a good way to start and everytime they go towards the squirrel or being to bark pull back and say leave it - baby!!
My dogs believe everything is a baby and since we often have up to 20 deer in our yard they are allowed to sit out on the deck and watch them - they do not bark and are motionless but enjoy nature just as we do.
Good Luck you can get them to stop.

HomeBusinessTrainer
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Ha, I could have sworn you were talking about my dog. Both my dogs LOVE squirrels more than dog food!

momsbusy247
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
My latest trick that I read about to try and stop my dog from barking at everybody (including leaves that roll through the yard) is a spray bottle with water and a little vinegar.

She barks, I warn her to stop and if she continues I spray her with the water bottle. They don't like the vinegar and it stings a little if they get it in their eyes (I guess because as soon as I pull the bottle out now, she squints and usually stops barking). Try it, it can't hurt.