WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Can Anyone Explain Stumbleupon?

ashamom
12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I signed up for their site forever ago, and honestly got a little lost and haven't been back since. However, I checked my traffic sources for my blog this past week, and Stumbleupon has been my biggest traffic source! I don't understand how, and I don't understand how they work. Could someone please explain how this works, since I obviously need to learn this :D

dlandry
12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
This is the way I understand how Stumble Upon works.

Stumble Upon is a place to share posts, websites or articles you like. It's not meant to share your own posts but those you find out there on the blogosphere that you think others will also like. When you "discover" something you're the first one to add it to the SU database. You then need to pick a category to place it into then add some tags or keywords. A review is nice but not necessary. You can stumble or discover your own posts but there should be a ratio of 10:1 or 10 others before you do your own. If you only stumble your own then your account will get locked.

When you sign up for SU you pick categories that you like and they will send you or direct you to sites within your chosen categories.

One good way to use SU is to download their toolbar. I'm using Firefox and on that toolbar is a stumble icon on the far left. If I hit that it will take you to a site in their database. You can give it a thumbs up, thumbs down or do nothing at all. Then click the stumble again and you'll be taken to another site. Thumbs up of course means you liked that site, thumbs down means you didn't but I rarely give thumbs down on anything.

If you go to a site on your own and like it, think others will like it then thumbs up. If it's never been stumbled before a window will pop up for you to enter the information into it. After that it's in the database.

Somehow SU remembers sites you've sent to them and will also send you to sites within those interests.

You can follow people on SU and share your stumbles or likes with them and they can do the same. The more people you follow or share with the better as the sites you stumble will get more exposure and possibly be shared by others.

Just be careful not to share 100 sites a day with your followers as they'll get upset and stop following you.

Make sure the pages, posts or sites you stumble aren't time sensitive like a giveaway or ad that has an expiration date as those will get thumbs down quickly if people go there and the offer has expired. Thumbs downs will decrease your credibility with SU.

You don't have to stumble only new posts but some several years old as well. I do stumble my own posts but not too often but will have a friend discover things for me. A post might not do well in SU when it's first discovered but months later you might notice it going viral on SU. I've got one that suddenly hit 18,000 views from SU alone and that was a year after it was stumbled.

If you're getting traffic from SU and you didn't submit a post that means someone who was on your site, liked what they saw and stumbled it.

writermommy
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
However, I checked my traffic sources for my blog this past week, and Stumbleupon has been my biggest traffic source! I don't understand how

Ashamom,

I have the SU toolbar installed on my browser and have a habit of "liking" posts that interest me. I was checking out your site the other day, when you asked about partnerships, because I am also from KS and was interested. I clicked the like button while on your site, so that it would be added to my list of sites, and SU sent me to the discover page since it had not been added yet.

Since it is now indexed with SU, others will come across in when the "stumble" in the same category.

Glad it is resulting in traffic for you!

ashamom
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Ashamom,

I have the SU toolbar installed on my browser and have a habit of "liking" posts that interest me. I was checking out your site the other day, when you asked about partnerships, because I am also from KS and was interested. I clicked the like button while on your site, so that it would be added to my list of sites, and SU sent me to the discover page since it had not been added yet.

Since it is now indexed with SU, others will come across in when the "stumble" in the same category.

Glad it is resulting in traffic for you!

Thank You! I messed around a little last night on it, and got a better feel for it. I'll look into the toolbar. I use Chrome so sometimes I can't download a lot of the toolbars out there :( Nice to meet another Kansas :D

writermommy
12-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I use Chrome, too. They have a toolbar specifically for Chrome!

TheGateKeeper
12-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Stumbleupon is like a mini blog you create for free on their domain. You can link back to your "real" blog from it to get backlinks and/or traffic.

dlandry
12-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Stumbleupon is like a mini blog you create for free on their domain. You can link back to your "real" blog from it to get backlinks and/or traffic.

SU is nothing like a mini blog more like a social networking site. You recommend and share blogs, sites and posts you find and like. You can share your own blog but it's frowned upon if you ONLY share your own.

JimmieWriter
12-17-2011, 12:26 PM
You can share your own blog but it's frowned upon if you ONLY share your own.

I was going to warn everyone about this. Be sure to Stumble a variety of links -- not all from one site whether it's your own or not. Just mix it up and you're okay. If you stumble too many from a single domain, you may be booted from SU.