WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Customizable Wordpress themes?

Neecy
12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I am trying to set up a wordpress blog for a friend of mine. I designed the website for him. but I have never done a wordpress blog from scratch. I like the rounded edges of the them called ROUNDED I think it is....but I am not sure if I can customize it as much as I need to. For instance I can not get the main color of the background to change from white.

So what I am looking for...

Something that I can chance the header, the colors, and use an ecommerce plug-in, and can be updated from a smart phone.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am doing this for a friend for free, so have mercy :o)

Thanx in advance!

LWatrous
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
The only theme I know of that will keep the rounded corners and give you the flexibility you need is Headway, and it's a premium theme. I think it's $68 for the cheapest package, I know you're doing it for free and I can understand your pain, but without a lot of coding (that you'd have to pay for anyway) you're not going to get what you want... and that's what I hate about themes! I finally broke down and bought Thesis and Headway for client sites.

I'll look around and see if there's anything else I can find.

scadesigns
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
check out the themes at studiopress.com, there is one called prose that is easy to customize. I've used it in the past.

websitesforsale
12-08-2011, 01:48 AM
You can change the color of the background in wordpress by looking under Appearance then clicking on Background.

Also there is many custom themes that's already setup for ecommerce just tell me what niche you are looking for like cell phones, computers, books etc...

Neecy
12-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Thanx all..

The site is for a Sunflower oil company, they are not wanting to sell online at this moment, but I want to pick out a theme that is ecommerce ready. I keep forgetting to check and see what the one I was trying is called...rounded I think.

Are all themes capable of ecommerce,,,and is making them updatable via cell phone, just a matter of a plugin, or do I have to choose a specfic theme for this purpose as well?

seattlejan
12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I really like Atahualpa. It's the most customizable free theme I've found - you can change just about everything without having to do any coding.

gushy0202
12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I use thesis theme (paid one) but other than that the best one is Twentyten which is pretty cool and i think you will get your feature in that??

Thanks.

ParentingCoachLisa
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Customizing Wordpress theme would depend on the template you use for the layout. I'd say choose the simple templates. Perhaps, Atahualpa can do much better on customization. ;)

loremar
12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
hmmm... I'd go for atahualpa or suffusion. They're the most customizable themes in my opinion. Can change almost everything. For mobile, install wptouch plugin.

Neecy
12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanx for the tips,, I will try them out!

Neecy
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
OMG..I have been using WP.com to test theories and themes,,,, I have been working with the theme called ROUNDED...now I find out that I can not use it on WP.ORG.....ugh!

The other themes are nice, but I am so lost....I always heard it was easy to set up a WP blog...WRONG...not for me lol!

I just want to make my friend a blog that can do ecommerce eventually,,,looking SOMETHING like the rest of the site I made and one that he can update from his phone..is that to much to ask!?

Frustrated

healyourself
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
For highly customizable wordpress themes, there are two that I recommend:

1. Ithemes Builder

iThemes Builder | iThemes (http://ithemes.com/purchase/builder-theme/)

2. The Website Weaver

SpiderWeb Press (http://www.spiderwebpress.com/)

Neither of these links are affiliate links.

coachkat
12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I found a customizable theme after searching through ALL of the free themes and evaluating them! I do website design for psychics, as well as many other industries.

The BEST free and MOST customizable theme is called Weaver, available through your dashboard in the Install Themes area.

I hope that helps!

2LookYounger
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I customized my word press theme very easily. Try to upload the newest edition of Wordpress.

coachkat
01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
weaver...weaver...weaver...woohoo!

ADHardwick
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Check out Swift Theme. There is a free one and a premium one. It is incredibly versatile and has rounded corners as an option.

rodster01
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Great Tips Thanks!