WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Programming jobs?

jamoehope
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm writing on behalf of my boyfriend who has good programming skills. Are there WAH jobs in programming?

If this isn't the right area to post this question, where should I post it?

jamoehope
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Is ODesk a good place for programming and jobs in general? I wasn't successful at selling myself on ODesk when I was still working from home.

earlyknowledgeforkids
11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
He could advertise on craigslist. If he has web programming skills, he may be able to find freelance clients.

yellowww
11-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Is ODesk a good place for programming and jobs in general? I wasn't successful at selling myself on ODesk when I was still working from home.

I you live in country where you can feed your family for $100/month then why not :)

LA Grouch
12-01-2011, 05:52 AM
oDesk can be a great place to start, especially for a qualified programmer.

I joined oDesk about 2-1/2 years ago looking to increase my client base.

I started out by bidding low on posted jobs in my niche (Wordpress). Not $2 or $3 per hour... I think my lowest bids were $9 - $10 per hr.

Once I completed a few projects and received good reviews, my hourly rate went up.
My oDesk rate is currently $20 per hour.

I now have employers contacting me to work on their projects. I also have many regular clients who I started with on odesk and are now privately billed.

A lot of people will say that there are too many 3rd world contractors who bid low ($2 - $3 per hr.) and they are right. This however, does not mean they get the job.

There are quite a few US based employers that are looking for US contractors who speak English and are available via phone.

My advice would be to create a solid profile, list any and all certifications, education, business experience, etc.

Also create a well written bio which tells potential employers what you do, why you do it, why you are the best, and what you can do to benefit them.

When you bid on a job... submit a convincing cover letter explaining how you plan to complete their project, update them on progress, time involved (if applicable), and request an appointment to discuss the project on the phone or Skype. This last part is important because most 3rd world contractors will not do this as they really don't want to converse with the employer.

SPELL CHECK EVERYTHING!

Start out by bidding low so you can get a couple of projects under your belt with good reviews, then increase your rates.

Trust me... employers DO look at your profile!

Most contractors who don't succeed using oDesk haven't put in the time and effort to approach it in a professional manner.

This is your job, take it seriously.

If you want to see my oDesk profile... click my signature link, scroll to very bottom of the footer, and click the oDesk button.