WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Onebag
10-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Just curious about the company. I see there starter kits are $249 and only $150 of that is in product credit. I am not sure about that. I definitely prefer a company that the majority of the starter kit is product at a significant discount. I imagine this is to discourage kit stealing. I already sell Miche and love it but am thinking about adding another company. I also wonder how easy it is to have a worth while party. Their products seem very reasonable (not so much the jewelry but the vinyl lettering) and I wonder if guests would only purchase one or two items. That would mean pretty small parties even with 10 purchasing guests.

liz.jewels
10-06-2011, 03:46 AM
I'm sure one will chime in. Do YOU love their products? What's in the kit and how many parties can you have with it? What's the discount you can buy more product with?

Evaluating and choosing companies purely on one aspect of the signup fee can lead to an incomplete assessment of the opportunity. I do think your question about average party is critically important. My company's national average is $1000 per party, which means I make $300 on average, every time I walk out the door. As a part time rep, I can't host a ton of parties, so making them profitable is key.

Love miche! A fellow Silpada rep I know is also a miche distributor and introduced me to miche's products. Best wishes for pairing your miche business with another company that fits you and what you are looking for!

christyvw2004
10-06-2011, 06:48 AM
GM Onebag (cute name)
I have been with Uppercase a little over 4yrs now and love love the product..that is why I signed on. I loved the idea of what I call "stencil for dummies" and that I could personlize any wall that I chose. As for the kits--they have changed a couple of times since then-and what you receive in product credit I thought was good. It is bascially to order some lettering (or jewerly if that is what you feel you need) to showcase our product. The rest of the value is for the supplies to run your business ie-vinyl lettering that you can use for doorprizes, demos, or just "give aways", catalogs, order forms, etc. So roughly $100 bucks to get you started on getting your business started. It also includes your "Premium online" subscription--which will really help get your business off to a boost with the luxury of being able to offer online sales. When I signed on my kit was $199 without alot of this..so I think the kit now is a better value. As for the jewerly, I have really liked the pieces I have received so far--will be doing my first show with this addition in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to seeing how it is received. But the nice thing is you dont have to mention the jewerly if you dont want--entirely up to you and your hostess. The great thing is she will recieve credit for sales of both at your show--and then she can use that to buy whatever mixture of product she wants. Sorry to ramble here. Hopefully I have answered some of your questions.
Just curious about the company. I see there starter kits are $249 and only $150 of that is in product credit. I am not sure about that. I definitely prefer a company that the majority of the starter kit is product at a significant discount. I imagine this is to discourage kit stealing. I already sell Miche and love it but am thinking about adding another company. I also wonder how easy it is to have a worth while party. Their products seem very reasonable (not so much the jewelry but the vinyl lettering) and I wonder if guests would only purchase one or two items. That would mean pretty small parties even with 10 purchasing guests.

christyvw2004
10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Just a quick add--what you receive in the Open house display pk--3 expressions and 3 accessories is worth over $100 all by itself. You can use these for displays or whatever you choose... so win win situation.
t/c

Onebag
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Thank you for the information. I do love selling Miche and I am doing very well. I recently chose to take a lay off from work so I am deciding what I want to do full time eventually. At the rate I am going and with the changes that Miche is making I can see this becoming a viable living but I also see the benefit of being a rep for two companies. I will have to think about this more :) On that note I may start a separate thread about the pros and cons of being a rep for two companies LOL

freyja313
10-07-2011, 07:13 PM
May I suggest that if you do decide to sign up with UL that you purchase the Uppercase Complete Kit at $299? Even if you have no interest in selling the jewelry you get almost $400 worth of pieces for only $50. So...

1. If you decide you like the jewelry but don't want to sell it you have a nifty collection for not a lot of money.
2. If you decide you want to sell it you have what you need to get going and no regrets about not getting it.
3. If you decide it's not for you at all you can sell it off and recoup a bit of your investment back. Heck, I'd be glad to give you fifty bucks for the jewelry portion of your kit so I have more pieces for me! (I'm serious. If you do this and don't want the jewelry, contact me.)

Specific to UL, I can't give you any feedback on show averages as I'm only a hobby consultant right now...just enough to feed my own vinyl addiction...plus the jewelry line is so new (launched 9/1/11) I don't think the company has any data on how it's affected overall show averages yet.

In general though, I think the first thing you really want to decide is do you want to add a second company for sure? If yes, then decide if UL is the right one for you or maybe you want to look at something else. My opinion is that whatever company you go with if you really want to DO IT and make money it HAS to be something that gets you excited, a product that you love and are passionate about. When I first discovered UL (here, at WAHM, as a matter of fact!) I groaned and thought "I cannot get involved with another company!"* but I swear, I could not stop thinking about it and within a week I signed up without ever seeing the product in person. That fact that I haven't done much with it business-wise is simply a matter of too much other stuff going on but boy, my house sure does look purty and makes me smile every day!

I'm not sure if this helped any or just confused you more but if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Good luck!

Jo

*I'm one of those attention-deficit-ooh-shiny-things people and an admitted starter kit junkie. I can't help it. The appeal of getting all.that.stuff. for just ninety.nine.dollars. is too much for me. If anyone has a rockin' starter kit offer, I'm your gal. :rolleyes:

Onebag
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Oh my gosh that is so funny about the starter kit junkie. I never really thought of getting a kit just because. After spending time with many other consultants I hear that a lot of people do this. Many of my consultant friends are on like their 3rd or 4th company for this reason-although I think many of them do love it at first and then get bored and move on. By the way Miche has a rocking kit right now depending on your area. $199 and you pick everything in your kit. Right now you do not have to purchase any business enhancers, website, or anything so it is around $335 in product that you choose for $199. Not too shabby.