WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

homefreenow
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I discovered that my dog barks when I'm gone - and I don't want to drive my neighbor crazy!

What are some things that I can try so that my dog is quieter when I'm gone?

Thanks for your help!

lovemygirlies
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Keep your dog inside and provide him with lots of toys and some nice big bones to chew on. They have some really great toys available for dogs now that will actually play with your dog while you are gone.

Shock and spray collars are cruel and I would never suggest using those and in many cases they do not even work. That would also be like punishing your dog for communicating the only way they know how.

There is a high frequency sound emitter on the market that is supposed to go off every time a dog barks withing a certain area detouring the dog from barking but I don't know if they actually work as I never tried them...I think they sell them at Petsmart.

Maybe you could try talking to your neighbor, and explaining that you are trying to find things to occupy your pup while you are out during the day. :)

Good Luck! Give the toys and big bones a try! It may be enough to keep your pup busy and quiet! It works with our dogs.

Happy Monday!

Christine

DianneFoster
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
My dog barks at the door whenever he hears something whether I'm there or not....He has started sitting on the stair just so he can be closer to the door.....It really irritates me.....

homefreenow
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Keep your dog inside and provide him with lots of toys and some nice big bones to chew on. They have some really great toys available for dogs now that will actually play with your dog while you are gone.

Shock and spray collars are cruel and I would never suggest using those and in many cases they do not even work. That would also be like punishing your dog for communicating the only way they know how.

There is a high frequency sound emitter on the market that is supposed to go off every time a dog barks withing a certain area detouring the dog from barking but I don't know if they actually work as I never tried them...I think they sell them at Petsmart.

Maybe you could try talking to your neighbor, and explaining that you are trying to find things to occupy your pup while you are out during the day. :)

Good Luck! Give the toys and big bones a try! It may be enough to keep your pup busy and quiet! It works with our dogs.

Happy Monday!

Christine

Hi Christine,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out - I appreciate it!

I always keep the dog inside, but our houses are so close that you can hear him very easily from next door - alas!

But, I did try getting him a 'new and improved' bone (maybe he had gotten tired of his other bones). The toys were a good idea too (recently the person who does our puppy obedience class said that taking away his toys (and just giving him bones) would help to cut down on chewing on the kids' toys...but, maybe leaving them out for him, just when I'm gone, might help alleviate his barking.

I must admit - I never thought about talking to our neighbor - uff da! (I'll do that!)

The other day, I did take him out for a quick walk before I left, and that seemed to help...at least he wasn't barking when I came home.

Thanks again for help,

Gail
homefreenow

homefreenow
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
My dog barks at the door whenever he hears something whether I'm there or not....He has started sitting on the stair just so he can be closer to the door.....It really irritates me.....

Hi Dianne,

That does sound pretty irritating!

What kind of dog do you have?

(I'm guessing he might be a 'guard' type dog - or maybe he wants to be - lol?)

We just got our dog a few months ago so I'm not too experienced yet as a dog owner...but, I did do a Google search and these pages came up with a few ideas on what to do:

The Dog Trainer : End Wild Barking at the Door :: Quick and Dirty Tips (http://dogtrainer.quickanddirtytips.com/barking-at-door.aspx)

Prevent Your Dog from Barking at the Front Door: Part 1 | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/video_2348852_prevent-dog-from-barking-front.html)

Hope they help,

Gail
homefreenow

lovemygirlies
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm no newbie dog owner, we have quite a few here now that we have rescued. :D

Toys and bones work really well for inside dogs. They are like children, if you keep them occupied while you are out they wont focus on outside distractions and bark.

They have some very cool new automated toys on the market for dogs now, there is one I want to get that plays tug with your dog while you are gone but I can not find the link now.

GoDogGo Automatic Ball Launcher Thrower for Dogs - Official Site (http://www.godoggoinc.com/)

(A friend has a fetch machine and loves it.)

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2043215401P?sid=IDx20101019x00001 a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM2043215401)

We have been through a few of these talking treat balls, we got ours at the pet store. Our dogs love hearing our voice and getting a treat (it takes a while for them to actually get the treat out of the ball.)

Another favorite of ours to keep our pups busy is any Kong product that hides treats. They are sturdy and provide hours of entertainment. :)

I'm glad you are getting it all worked out! You sound like an awesome puppy parent!

Happy Wednesday!

Christine

andr117
09-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Actually I see the only way to stop the dog barking while I'm not at home - change it!
That sounds terrible, but I have an experience in this and the only way I found was another polite dog.

homefreenow
09-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Christine,

Wow - I never have heard of automatic toys for dogs or a talking treat ball!

Boy, am I behind the times - lol.

I think I'm definitely going to try the talking treat ball...

And, recently I've discovered the Kong and I sure do like that (oh, and so does my puppy)!

Thanks for your help - I sure do appreciate it!

Now, I feel much better when I leave my puppy at home.

homefreenow
09-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Actually I see the only way to stop the dog barking while I'm not at home - change it!
That sounds terrible, but I have an experience in this and the only way I found was another polite dog.

Hi andr117,

Well - that is one way to stop the problem...

but, my kids have grown rather attached to this dog - so, not an option at the moment :) but, thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion - I appreciate it.

Amy Jacobs
10-02-2011, 07:15 AM
what about taking him to one of those doggy hotels (lol) maybe hes lonely when your gone :) ~Amy

homefreenow
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
what about taking him to one of those doggy hotels (lol) maybe hes lonely when your gone :) ~Amy

Thanks Amy!

That is a good suggestion - I think my husband wished that we had done that this weekend...

He was home alone with the dog because I (and the kids) were gone to my sister's to help her out...

And, the dog started barking at 4:30am! (Not a good deal because my husband had just a few hours of sleep the night before)...

Uff da! (I forgot to tell him to put the Kong into our dog's kennel before bedtime - I think that probably would have helped).

dublifunshopping
10-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Buy him a toy that you can put treats into - keeps them amused for a long time as they come out one by one.

Make sure you have introduced your dog to the neighbours so that he can recognise their scent.