WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Marketing Your Business

davidogden
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
How not to market your business

I believe forums are designed for discussion not as a place to build backlinks as some people try.

Forums such as this and The Warrior Forum do not allow signatures to be added to posts until a certain criteria is met, in order to reduce fly bye posters. Usually there are also rules about links in posts or where you can promote you business, break any of the rules and you will be suspended or even banned. They are however great place to learn about marketing you business and at the same time get answers to questions or clarification on what works and what doesn't. But not everyone understand the advise been given out.

I having been looking at how people advertise their business in the WAHM forum and these are some of the headings

This is the easiest way to make money online and you will guaranteed
7 posts with same content in last 3 day

Work from home free! Make extra money!
over 51 posts in two weeks

All the above posts contain exactly the same content, nothing new or informative a complete waste of time, unfortunately all they do is clog the system, I do not know why they continue.

Now compare that with my advertisement in the same part of the forum

How to Earn Money in Property
2 posts in three days in one thread so that the reader can learn a little more about my business each time.

I am sorry apparently posting the way I did is regarded as bumping and thread was removed and in the forum duplicate posts are valid so long as the page has rolled over

You need to engage the reader and earn their trust and respect, providing information which will assist them in making a decision, rather than try to wear them down with the same old tired message. It is not only forums that suffer from this mentality some people use email in a similar way.

DianneFoster
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree....Marketing is an inexact science and marketing on the internet is darn near impossible.....Whatever works at the time will soon be obsolete.....

johnben1444
09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Not every marketing method will become obsolete, there will only be slight changes, in fact, marketing technique like article marketing has remained the same way it has been since the beginning.

davidogden
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
John,

Yes I have used article marketing, perhaps not as often as I should, my weapons of choice are blogging and classified advertising.

I think it is important however that you establish a daily routine for marketing your business,

I usually start my day by checking my phone for any messages and then making phone calls in response to these phone calls or email received.

The next step is to create a few blog posts and classified ads, and then finally I look to see what is going on in forums and skype chats.

One advantage of having a routine and sticking to it is that over time it actually saves you time, my essential working time now takes less that 3 hours whereas it used to take six or more, because I had no sense of direction.

The time that I have saved can now be used for new projects, updating websites, helping other people or learning new techniques.

I have promised my partner that by the end of next year I plan to have all my work completed withing 3 hours, so I can regard myself as fully retired and able to spend quality time with my family exploring the new country which is now my home.

cmn321
10-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Good and useful information. "forums are designed for discussion not as a place to build backlinks as some people try."
Thanks.

Ashia01
11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Here are some effective and advisable ways that can help you market your business online:

-SEO
-PPC
-Affiliate marketing
-Email marketing
-Social media marketing

QueenMaa
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Very good information. People they think they will make a quick sale by using spamming techniques. Either they are just lazy or they really don't know how to market what they are selling.

RachEv
11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Having a set of tasks to do to promote you buissness everyday I think is key. It is very easy to get side tracked on the next great idea. Or going down the rabbit hole on figuring out how to do somethig or reading blogs, fourms, email, etc... First figure out your main marketing methods. Then create a checklist of the things that you need to do. Set a schedule and stick to it. Good luck!

jocelynjones75
11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
John,

Yes I have used article marketing, perhaps not as often as I should, my weapons of choice are blogging and classified advertising.

I think it is important however that you establish a daily routine for marketing your business,

I usually start my day by checking my phone for any messages and then making phone calls in response to these phone calls or email received.

The next step is to create a few blog posts and classified ads, and then finally I look to see what is going on in forums and skype chats.

One advantage of having a routine and sticking to it is that over time it actually saves you time, my essential working time now takes less that 3 hours whereas it used to take six or more, because I had no sense of direction.

The time that I have saved can now be used for new projects, updating websites, helping other people or learning new techniques.

I have promised my partner that by the end of next year I plan to have all my work completed withing 3 hours, so I can regard myself as fully retired and able to spend quality time with my family exploring the new country which is now my home.

I couldn't agree with you more! Forums should be a place to share tips and strategies with others and not try to "pitch" each other. I also agree that daily consistent action is key. Figure out a plan and stick to it. I like to utilize a combination of email marketing/blogging and article marketing.

affiliatemom
11-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I agree....Marketing is an inexact science and marketing on the internet is darn near impossible.....Whatever works at the time will soon be obsolete.....

WOW are you kidding? All my marketing is done online and I do very well. It just depends on how you do it and what you are marketing.

pay per click
11-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I think any company looking to promote it's self on the internet should look at pay per click marketing

GG9909
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
we can't forget also that spam is set to gain for their $$ benefit whereas good biz marketing is going to cater to the 'customer' ;)

shanjacktrey
12-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I like the idea of a blog. Thanks!

lilyBryen
12-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Very interesting thread. I would like to disagree with the poster who said marketing online is almost impossible. It is very possible, and not all that difficult if you put work at it.

malea
12-29-2011, 02:18 AM
I totally agree . I do very well with advertising in this board..in the proper forum..following the rules... I have a list of site like this one I advertise on and I get new contacts everyday to talk with :)

WOW are you kidding? All my marketing is done online and I do very well. It just depends on how you do it and what you are marketing.

virtualmommy
02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Article Marketing and SEO are extremely important when it comes to affiliate marketing. Also, the key is also having a great product to market.

dtoss80
02-13-2012, 08:03 AM
I think everyone finds a comfortable method of marketing based upon their skills. If there are very skilled with email marketing but not article marketing then thats their expertise. Some people may be great with PPC and SEO but not good in email marketing.

maximumleverage
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM

I highly disagree with that comment.

If you fill its nearly impossible to market your business
on the internet then you've been given the wrong information.

netter49er
02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I am enjoying all the information on the WAHM's site! :D

CherylAH
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
I think that marketing is one of the most important things to the success of a business. I market both online, as well as a grassroots effort. I make sure to make a note where ever I place ads, blogs, posts, fliers, etc. so that I can see where my leads/purchases are coming from. This enables me to fine tune my marketing so that I am utilizing my resources effectively and efficiently. One of the things you should have ready when you start your business is how you plan on marketing your product/opportunity and what will give you the largest pool of potential clients. Forums such as wahm are so beneficial because we're able to draw upon so many different perspectives and use that knowledge to help each of us succeed.

WahIdeasCom
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM
It is really unfortunate...there are simply no legit, ethical ways to make money quickly online (unless you hit the lottery)...it does happen, but very rarely.

I too don't understand the need to sensationalize in forum signatures. If you are indeed trying to build trust, as well as a brand, that is Not the way to do it.

I always follow the advice of help, help and help out some more. Always think of others and not yourself, and only then will you achieve true happiness and success. :)

dacousin
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Content will always be valuable no matter how online marketing changes and it has to be good content that people want, as long as you have things that people are interested in you will continue to get traffic.

Jewelry Stylist
03-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks David for sharing your daily work outline. I will follow a similar daily outline for my own recruiting business.

Jewelry Stylist
03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks Cheryl for this info. Sometimes I put out business cards or something online and don't make a note of where I put it. I will start being more systematic about my marketing efforts so I can be more successful.

nkellerm85
03-18-2012, 10:22 PM

I think this is the most disagreeable comment I've ever read. Almost everything is doing well with online marketing.

jakesmith
04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes, Search engine optimization is the best way for promoting your site without spending money. It can helps to improve your site link popularity and ranking in different search engines.

Mike Hersh
04-29-2012, 03:46 AM
I definitely agree. If you want to be a leader, you should work hard for it. Posting useless ads on forums and other places is not going to get you any real value. If you;re taking the time to write your ad, you should at least write something that others are finding useful, and you'll find that you get a lot more out of every post.

Marketing online is possible when you do it ethically.

momof4CA
05-11-2012, 10:06 AM
John,

Great business advise! I am going to incorporate this into my daily routine. :)