WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Scopists

Vicki711
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
If you do this, could you PM me with the information on what it deals with?

Transcription?

Training? College?

Freelance?

Etc...

Thanks! :p

Alba
09-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Vicki,

Another resource for you might be the Court Reporters Forum. It has many scopist members. You will get a real insight into the work and the best places to train.

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-crforum

Good luck!

Sadie1Lady1
09-17-2011, 06:24 AM
What a great informative post DRob63. Thank you for posting it. :)

Vicki711
09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
:d thank you for this!!!! :d

DRob63
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
You're quite welcome. :)

Lori786
09-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Thank you, DRob63, for the informative post explaining what scopists do. I had been wondering about this for a while!!

jenninphx
09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
At this time, there is no certification in this field. I would encourage anyone considering scoping to plan on taking a course in scoping because it is very detailed work which can be difficult to learn everything by just having a court reporter train someone or think you can simply start working with a court reporter. I recall rescuing someone who tried to do just that and quickly realized how much trouble she found herself in. She has since completed the training and loves the work.
We are editing the spoken word and not the written word which can have some varying nuances that the scopist needs to be aware of before they market themselves.

I am a court reporting graduate and I received a Certificate of Completion in scoping along the way. I'm not certain if that's what you mean when you say "certification" or if you're talking about a national certification similar to the RPR, but I have the sheet of paper hanging up on the wall that says I completed the coursework to be a scopist!

DRob63
10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
When I talk about "certification" in the field of scoping, yes, I am talking about a national
certification process that has [B]not[B] been approved throughout the U.S.
I do understand and provide a certificate of completion to the graduates of Scoping Made
Affordable (SMA).